Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1988 yota problem with new motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 yota problem with new motor

i just bought a 1988 yota with a brand new 22re crate motor, the problem is when it was born it had a 22r motor well the guy i bought it from had a 90 yota that he bought the 22re motor for he put the motor in that and drove it about 1000 miles and the frame went so he bought the 88 and put that motor in it. it runs great at a idle or when you are in the gas but if you slow down to a slower speed it spuders real bad all most like it is not getting fuel? i drove it home that way but i need to get it fixed and fixed right for a dd to save on gas back and forth to work and off roading as well(its a toy right? lol) if it didnt have this problem i whould love it and as good of shape as its in i might have to restore it completly. i do know he put the computer in it from the newer one so he could try and get more money out of it when he sold it but that didnt work out so he called me and told me to come get it for a song. any and all help whould be great and i thank any one who replys now.
ken
Old 02-11-2011, 09:14 PM

I might be off in the years, but I thought the computers went with the body styles. So a computer from a 92 wouldn't work with the harness, etc. from the 88. Also, have you tried swapping out the fuel filter or messing with the idle?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hmm, I'm not very familiar with the 22's since i have a 3.0, are they TBI or fuel injected?, cause a friend of mine has very similiar sounding problems as you, but with a chevy motor and it turned out to be inadequate flow of his injectors.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:51 AM

I just bought the truck as a matter of fact it hasent even made it all the way home I droped it off at a friends place do to the missing like it was and the roads getting bad do to snow it was better than wrecking it. I want to posably build it up a lil but still keep it practical as a dd once I get this part fixed. One other thing I was wondering is there any way to get a lil bit more length out of the seat adjustment? I am 6'2 and I am a touch cramped in it but I still love it and will love it more when it runs right.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:54 AM

Oh it was carburated at birth but it is now fuel injected with the new motor. The injecter might be the problem
Old 02-12-2011, 05:43 PM

I talked with the guy I bought it from tonight he said he messed around with just about every thing but the injectors so I am going to start there when I get it rest of the way home. I am not to good at working on cars and trucks witch is another reason I bought it so I can learn a lil as I go. So what's the best way to go about checking the injecters? Or should I have a shop check and fix this problem and try any thing eles that goes wrong?
Old 02-13-2011, 11:55 AM

I would see if there are any shops around that local wheelers like to go to, but that's me. I'm not the greatest at electrical, and know that different years of trucks came with different style injectors (different shaped plugs). Did the guy who put this system together swap the entire fuel injected harness over, or did he piece it together?
Old 02-13-2011, 06:27 PM

I talked to him today and he said the top end of the motor was out of the 88. Every thing from the block up. So the injecters are fromm the 88 and I beleave the harnes is to. I figure if I start with a complet tune up and new fuel filter. From there I will have a shop completly run through the injectors and test the psi as well as clean them. I did notice the more I drive it the better it gets at least that's what it seems may be its just wishfull thinking any way. I may run some injecter cleaner through a tank of gas and see if that helps. Or should I not even drive it till I get it figured out so I don't hurt any thing? Any more info or ideas whould be great. Thanks agian
Old 02-17-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by fireman502
I talked to him today and he said the top end of the motor was out of the 88. Every thing from the block up. So the injecters are fromm the 88 and I beleave the harnes is to. I figure if I start with a complet tune up and new fuel filter. From there I will have a shop completly run through the injectors and test the psi as well as clean them. I did notice the more I drive it the better it gets at least that's what it seems may be its just wishfull thinking any way. I may run some injecter cleaner through a tank of gas and see if that helps. Or should I not even drive it till I get it figured out so I don't hurt any thing? Any more info or ideas whould be great. Thanks agian

switching out the fuel filter and running fuel injector cleaner is a good start to cleaning the system, but if you want to check your fuel lines psi rather than just having a shop check it for you, i'd invest 10 dollars into just installing a gage. I know autozone sells one for cheap thats really easy to install. Also have you ever had a engine diagnosis hooked up to that? It might throw you a code which could explain it alot better than going through everything one component at a time.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a auto zone any where near me but I do have a advanced auto about 30 miles from me so I will check there and have them run a check on it as well. I screwed my back up so I have to post pone my tune up for a week or so unless I get healed up sooner. I can't wait to get her running right I luv this lil truck.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:14 AM

Good luck and keep me posted.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 AM

I will thank u for your help.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Np
Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 AM

I will probly need more help as I have decided to build it some and restore it. I found a step side box for it and a few other parts
Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 AM

well i'll help how ever i can.