03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Please recommend shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please recommend shocks

I've ordered Rancho 9000s for our '05 4Runner, but I'm wondering if adjustable shocks are a good idea for us.

We use it for light offroading, nothing hard core, we just like to be able to get to hiking destinations in the desert. This means we're in washes or desert roads that are rocky and sometimes washed out.

As for adjustable, how difficult is it to adjust them? Is it possible for the adjustment to change while driving, or do they have some kind of safeguard built into them?

Also, as noted in my other post, we are getting 26570R17 Toyo OpenCountry A/T tires. Do we need the 1.5" to prevent ANY rubbing?

Sorry for my ignorance...

Last edited by DesertDweller; 01-16-2007 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

If your not comited to the Ranchos I would not get them. I have had them on other vehicles and they don't perform at all compared to other options out there. If you just want new shocks and struts with no lift I would look at some bilsteins or stick with what you have? Old Man Emu is another option but would probably give you more than 1.5" lift. You could very inexpensively buy a spacer lift such as revtek.

There are so many options I would just do some searching. There is more than enough info on this site to give the answer.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:25 PM

I don't know how committed we are... We ordered them, along with tires and a Donahoe spacer leveling kit and Toyo tires. We did put a deposit, so I'll have to contact the shop to see what they would be willing to do if we changed to a different shock. Maybe I'll call them and see if they can put the shock order on hold until I know more... I'll go ahead with the order for tires and spacer kit. I'm not sold on the lift, but I don't want any chance that the slightly larger tires will rub. Would I be able to get Bilsteins and use the spacer kit? We talked about a coilover, but from what we were told that would be overkill for our use.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

you get a chance to look at this thread?

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f117/modifications-accessories-faq-4th-gen-4runner-95442/
Old 01-16-2007, 07:42 PM

I did, thanks. That's a lot of info to digest. It looks from that thread like we don't need a lift to use the 26570R17s, but the vehicle tested had a lift, so I wasn't 100% sure. I didn't see any discussion there about adjustable shocks, but I may have missed it.

Thanks for putting all this info together!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

you don't need a lift to fit 265.70.17's.

as for info regarding the adjustable rancho's I wasn't aware it was available so I"ll have to update that info. as for whether rancho's are good or not, I can't say as I have not personally been exposed to that setup.

welcome to yotatech
Old 01-16-2007, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I think I'll call the shop tomorrow and see about switching to a non-adjustable shock, maybe Bilsteins. We had a Chevy ZR-2 that had them, and the ride was acceptable both on and off road. I don't really see myself adjusting shocks, particularly since we don't do anything hardcore. I think we'll stick with a 1.5" spacer lift though, if we don't need to make any other changes because of it.

While we're at it, any comments on the Toyo OpenCountry A/T tires?

In case you couldn't tell, I'm a little nervous about making modifications. The only changes I've ever made to a vehicle before were wheels and tires, and they were strictly street, so I didn't even get a different size than stock.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

I'm not sure which 4runner you have (sr5/se/limited) so I can't say but considering you have the 05, I don't see an urgent need to upgrade your suspension if you plan to use 265.70.17's.

Personally have not used Toyo's. Sorry.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:13 PM

Ok, I'm having a very hard time trying to find out who makes shocks that will fit an '05 4Runner SR5 4WD. The shop I'm using said there are no Bilsteins available, and he has so far only recommended either Rancho 9000 or Rancho RSX. Is there someone who makes a decent, all purpose shock that will do better offroad than OEM?

Any comments on the Donahoe spacer? Does my 4Runner take the same spacers as a Tacoma?

Last edited by DesertDweller; 01-18-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

are your shocks worn down that you need to replace them? you looking to lift? if so there's a lot of various options you can go with. I'd say reread that thread I posted in the beginning. The first 4 posts should answer your questions.

If you're still lost let me know where you're lost and I'll see how I can help you out.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:42 PM

I've read that thread a few times, and just reread it.

Our shocks are probably almost as good as new, they have less than 20K miles on them. They do seem a little soft and bouncy when we are out in the desert. We don't need anything hardcore, we'd just like a little better offroad performance. I can't seem to find anything but Rancho that can be used with either no lift or just the spacer.

As for the spacers, I can't seem to find any listed for the '05 4Runner on anyone's web site, so I am wondering if they take the same spacer as the later model Tacoma.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated. Maybe there's a vendor on the site you can direct me to that sells shocks and spacers?
Old 01-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Everything below is from that link:

Originally Posted by This is for Spacers:: Post #2
This technology retains the stock suspension. Adding the spacer to the stock suspension will give you lift (height determined by size of spacer installed). Depending on which manufacturer you decide to use, some will utilize a combination of spacers that sit on top of the stock suspension called top out spacers and/or inside the stock suspension called preload spacers. The spacers looks like a hockey puck built out of polyurethane, steel or alumnimum. Depending on which manufacturer you go with, the material used will vary. They all perform the same function regardless of the material used.

If you are considering adding additional weight up front (bumper/winch/lights etc) I would stay away from this technology as you will experience a harsher ride due to the added weight. An average aftermarket bumper-and-winch combo will weight approximately 150-200# so bear this in mind.

Costs on this technology are very cheap (under $500). It is the cheapest solution available. This setup is ideal for those who want the quick-lift fix to add larger tires. Since you are essentially adding either a combination of preload spacer/top out spacer the overall ride feel will firm up. This is expected by the design of the technology applied.
Manufacturers
Cornfed Suspension: 3" spacer lift front / 2" spacer lift rear (or custom sizes available between 1-3")
Revtek Suspension: 3" spacer lift front / 2" spacer lift rear
Daystar Suspension: 2.5" spacer lift front / 2.5" spacer lift rear
Tuff Country: 3" lift front spacer only
Toy Tec: 3" spacer lift front
Originally Posted by This is for Coil and Shock:: Post #3
This technology replaces the stock suspension. The look and feel is identical to the stock suspension as it replaces the coil and shock. Depending on which configuration you decide on, the ride feel will be near identical to stock.

If you are considering adding additional weight up front (bumper/winch/lights etc) I recommend you look into stiffer coils to accomodate for the addition of the weight. The ride should stay within the stock feel with the adjustments made to the coils. If you considering building an expedition vehicle I highly recommend the coil and shock as you need not worry about the complexity of the system.

Costs for this technology is average (approx. $750)
Manufacturers
OME Coils:
Medium Duty Coils (front/rear) 884/895
Heavy Duty Coils (front/rear) 885/896
Extra Heavy Duty Coils (front/rear) 886/897

OME Twintube Shocks:
Front - N140S
Rear - N141(Soft), N142(Medium) - (22.5" extended, 13.77" compressed)
N71E (Hard), N74E(Stiff) - (24.18" extended, 14.43" compressed)

Example lift measurement: 3" lift front / 2.75" lift rear
OME Mediums 884 front coil and trim packer, N140S front shock, 895 rear coil, N142 rear shock

All Pro Offroad rear coils + Walker Evans rear shocks
Downey Offroad: 2.5" lift rear coil with Doetsch Tech MV-12 shock. (25" extended, 15" compressed)
Deaver Springs: 2" lift rear coil only
Donahoe Racing: Rear Coil (Part Number 5-2700)
Donahoe Racing : Rear Monotube Shock (Part Number 5-7510) (23.89" extended, 14.65" compressed)
Bilstein: 7100 series Rear Monotube Shocks with remote resevoir in conjunction with All Pro, OME or Deaver rear coils. 10" Short Body (Soft:255/70, Medium:275/78, Hard: 360/80 valving) with eye - stem adapter available at Total Chaos Fabrications (25.25" extended, 15" compressed).
Originally Posted by This is for Coilovers (front only) :: Post #4
This technology replaces the stock suspension. The look and feel is identical to the stock suspension as it replaces the coil and shock. Depending on which configuration you decide on, the ride feel will be near identical to stock.

If you are considering adding additional weight up front (bumper/winch/lights etc) I recommend you look into stiffer coils to accomodate for the addition of the weight. The ride should stay within the stock feel with the adjustments made to the coils. If you considering building an expedition vehicle I highly recommend the coil and shock as you need not worry about the complexity of the system.

Costs for this technology is average (approx. $750)
Manufacturers
All Pro Offroad: 3" lift front coilover featuring Walker-Evans shocks and 650-lb All-Pro coils
Donahoe Racing: 3.5" lift front coilover
Sway A Way: 3" lift front coilover
Downey Offroad: 3" lift front coilover
Light Speed: 3.5" lift front coilover
King Shocks: 3" lift front coilover coming soon!
So based on the 3 different technologies available, which one fits your taste/budget? Obviously the cheapest is the first but not necessarily the best ride feel.

Hope that helps (?)
Old 01-18-2007, 06:08 PM

Well, we decided on the spacer from Donahoe Racing, at the recommendation of the shop we went to. I don't know if it is a topout or preload system. I guess we'll have to trust the shop, but we had a bit of trouble picking them. The first place we went to basically told us the current 4Runner is a soccer mom vehicle and wasn't interested in helping us make it more trail worthy.

The shop we're with now seems good, they didn't really try to sell us on anything extra, we just wanted to upgrade the shocks for offroad use, but still maintain a good ride on the road. The Rancho RSX does seem to offer that.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Are you sure Donahoe Racing makes spacers for this 4runner? I have no knowledge of this product nor is it listed on their website. Just making sure as the last you want to encounter is them selling you the 96-02 4runner spacer kit from Donahoe Racing which will not fit. Please confirm this with Donahoe Racing directly as they are the manufacturer.

Although I have no personal experience with Rancho products I have read many posts that they are not up to par in comparison with other suspension products out there. I'm also not a fan of spacers as they will give you a firm and harsh ride over time.

I am not here to convince you otherwise but let you know that were other alternative solutions available based on the posts I've submitted.

Good luck with your 4runner and let us know how the Rancho's and the spacers work out.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:27 PM

I didn't see on on Donahoe's site either. I'll call them tomorrow. The shop I'm dealing with told me the 4Runner uses the same kit as the Tacoma. I do want to confirm that, though.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

Again it is the same kit but Donahoe does not have a spacer kit available for the Tacoma (2005+) either.

Good luck
Old 01-18-2007, 06:38 PM

I checked the part number for the spacer that was ordered, and it is for '96 - '04 Tacomas. I guess I'll be looking some more...

Can anyone recommend a shop in Las Vegas? Would it be inappropriate to post a thread asking for a shop recommendation? I may just have the current shop do the tires, since they're 26570R17s, and I understand I don't need a lift to avoid rubbing.

Thanks! I think you've saved me a lot of grief...

Last edited by DesertDweller; 01-18-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:36 PM

try contacting my034runner, he's in Vegas, and works at a Toyota dealership with a knowledgable mechanic who installs aftermarket equip.

Originally Posted by DesertDweller
I checked the part number for the spacer that was ordered, and it is for '96 - '04 Tacomas. I guess I'll be looking some more...

Can anyone recommend a shop in Las Vegas? Would it be inappropriate to post a thread asking for a shop recommendation? I may just have the current shop do the tires, since they're 26570R17s, and I understand I don't need a lift to avoid rubbing.

Thanks! I think you've saved me a lot of grief...

Last edited by DealMaker; 01-18-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Old 01-18-2007, 08:43 PM

Thanks, I just sent him a message!

Quick Reply: Please recommend shocks