03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Lifted 4th Gen running boards or not???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifted 4th Gen running boards or not???

I took a picture with the running boards on and one with them off. I think I like the looks of it better with out them, but was looking for other opinions.
Let me know what you think...

https://home.comcast.net/~drossi4/running_boards.htm
Old 03-14-2004, 04:00 PM
uwf

Whats up!!!

I think that in your current configuration, you should go without the runnings boards. Maybe, if you have the dough of course, get the tube bars instead. It will go good with the bar theme on your roof rack. Just my opinion, later,

Joseph
Old 03-14-2004, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Off.
Looks less yuppy.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:23 PM
Banned

Off - for sure. Looks more sporty and useful.

That's mine, unlifted, without boards. I think every 4th gen. that I've seen without running boards looks great ... much better than with them on.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:16 PM

Thanks for all your opinions..The running boards will definitely be staying in the garage..

4route--I noticed in your sig. you removed the the resonator from the end of the exhaust, How does it sound now? Better?? Worse?
Old 03-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Banned

Taints2k3 -- Well ... I removed mine after I had the 14" Magnaflow on for awhile ... and when I removed the resonator, it made all the difference in the world. I was reading another thread somewhere and the guy had taken off his resonator and it didn't make any difference in sound with the stock muffler. So, I'm not sure what it would do if you have just the stock setup, but with the Magnaflow, taking the resonator off made an enormous difference and I like it so much better.

Before taking it off, there wasn't much noticeable difference between the Magnaflow sound and the stock sound .. that disappointed me because everyone said the Magnaflow would make a big difference in tone. So, I tried taking the resonator off and replacing it with a new tip which angled out, and it was 100% better. It finally let the Magnaflow sound come out, and I continue to be glad that I took that resonator off.

Do you have the stock muffler ??

Here is a thread on the 4runner board that talks about the sound difference with the stock muffler:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...&threadid=2525
Old 03-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Agree running boards should go.

I want to take mine off but wil wait till I have an alternative for stepping in(more for passengers than for me), and some side protection as well as when I finally have my lift sorted out (still getting info). Rock sliders seem to agressive for my "baby" at this point, plus it is not useful for helping people get in and out.

WHere would be a good place to get tube bars and how much are they typically for 4th Gen? It would also be good to fit the light connections to the tube bars so it shows the ground and the bar itself.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Banned

bulldog -- actually I had been meaning to ask you - how is your lift info-gathering going? I'm trying to get one too. I think I'll probably get some rock sliders sometime after my lift, as for nerf bars, let me look around on the net and if I find some, I'll PM ya.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4route
bulldog -- actually I had been meaning to ask you - how is your lift info-gathering going? I'm trying to get one too. I think I'll probably get some rock sliders sometime after my lift, as for nerf bars, let me look around on the net and if I find some, I'll PM ya.
4route,
I'm waiting for Daystar to get back to me with more info on the lift kit. It says 2.5" kit, but I'm looking for slightly less in the back as it seems the best thing to do (1.75 or 2"). They also said they will send me the installation nstructions. I currently getting/buying the required tools and waitingg to get the complete factory manual. SO it seems it will be DIY for me. I looked at the suspension quickly today and it looks like it will be very tricky to work with the XREAS tube at the bottom of the front tube, the brake line and ABS will make it tricky as well. So in the end the tools will probably cost me more than the installation, but that's part of the fun.

You guys will probably het done before me, so post picks with instructions tips and tricks. If I do it before you guys I will do it then. I expect to only do it some time in April.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, I tried taking the resonator off and replacing it with a new tip which angled out, and it was 100% better. It finally let the Magnaflow sound come out, and I continue to be glad that I took that resonator off.
Glad to know it worked out for ya'! You never came back to that original thread to let us all know!

Did you get a tunable tip? if so, did you try moving it around for performance/tone?
Old 03-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Banned

Gosh. I keep trying to email daystar, but it keeps getting sent back to me! I'm going to try the 2.5" kit - front and back. I doubt that I will get it done before you though -- I've been having a rough time trying to get ahold of daystar, and I don't trust myself to do the lift, so I'll have to find a place around here.

I wish you luck on your install. How did you get ahold of daystar?? Are the directions they're sending you different from the ones they have on their site??

Hmm.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:23 PM
Banned

Mark -- I was so beat after all that. But I did post pics of the tips! And I do very much like the sound now. It isn't a tunable tip - everywhere I went acted like I was retarded when I'd ask things like that, so, I just went with a plain ole dual tip angled out. The sound is divine now though!
Old 03-14-2004, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Agree running boards should go.

I want to take mine off but wil wait till I have an alternative for stepping in(more for passengers than for me), and some side protection as well as when I finally have my lift sorted out (still getting info). Rock sliders seem to agressive for my "baby" at this point, plus it is not useful for helping people get in and out.

WHere would be a good place to get tube bars and how much are they typically for 4th Gen? It would also be good to fit the light connections to the tube bars so it shows the ground and the bar itself.

I have also been looking for a set of sliders that will serve both functions,help get my full size spare on the roof rack (285's are heavier than I thought!!!) and protection for the rocker panels. Seems like most of the sliders tuck under too far to be much help for standing on.. Let me know how you make out in your search. I will let you know what I find.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:33 PM

Take 'em off but be careful!!! I was cleaning out my garage the other day and noticed that the endcaps on my running boards were BROKEN!! I stored them standing up, with the rear endcap side on the ground supporting the weight of them. Well, after a few months the plastic around the bolts that held the endcap to the RB ripped mostly off. Oh well, the mounting brackets on them were so bent up from stupid off roading previous to removing them that they were worthless. Oh, the joys of owning a 260k 4runner. Kiss resale goodbye!!! Even on parts!
Old 03-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Gosh. I keep trying to email daystar, but it keeps getting sent back to me! I'm going to try the 2.5" kit - front and back. I doubt that I will get it done before you though -- I've been having a rough time trying to get ahold of daystar, and I don't trust myself to do the lift, so I'll have to find a place around here.

I wish you luck on your install. How did you get ahold of daystar?? Are the directions they're sending you different from the ones they have on their site??

Hmm.
I emailed sales and tech support contacts on their website it took them a day to get back to me. The instructions on the website are only for previous gens.

Check you thread about lifting in Texas, I think keisur is offering to do it in Houston, might be worth the drive??
Old 03-14-2004, 07:38 PM

Not that you need another opinion but I'm in the off camp, too. I've only been around these boards a few months but even I know that sliders are in your future it's just a matter of time and/or money.
Old 03-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Banned

it's always a matter of money! stupid money.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, better leave 'em off. "Well placed hazards" may wreck havoc...
Old 03-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Banned

mossback ... shhhhh

[i hope you know i'd never actually do that]
Old 03-14-2004, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member

Why don't you guys try Wheelers Offroad , they have been really cool with me.

As far as the instructions go, I'm sure someone here can help you out. Hell I may even have left them in my garage. I'll check tomm or so.

Doug M.

Quick Reply: Lifted 4th Gen running boards or not???