03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Front Brakes tips! 4Runner '04 LTD

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Brakes tips! 4Runner '04 LTD

Replacing front disc brakes is challenging. I just did mine and the two pins were hard to remove.
Here is what I did that helped.

There are two pins that have to be removed to replace the brake pads on the front disc brakes. They are in VERY tight and have a tendency to rust in place, making them difficult to remove.

1. Remove wheel and turn steering wheel to better access pins (ie. turn wheel right for drivers brake)

2. Spray pins with PB Blaster and let soak.

3. Side cutters to remove the "tin pretzel" which is apparently how they make cotter pins fit into tiny little places by robot (?!) I didn't reuse these, they're junk...

4. I have a small, flat metal file. It's about 1/2" wide and very thin. Standard red handle. I used this to "file" the center part of the pins all the way around to remove the rust and buildup. It fits between the pin and body of the caliper so it can do the back, too.

5. Use a punch that is the RIGHT size and start the pin moving. Mine only moved about 1/4" before it was stuck.

6. I bumped the pin back just a little so it wasn't jammed, used more Blaster, and used a good pair of channel locks on the head of the pin (outside) to twist it a little.

7. I continued to file, now seeing a clean spot on the pin where it was in the caliper hole as a reference and repeated the process. Don't get in a hurry. I also tapped the shoes slightly to make sure they weren't in a bind.

I use a C-Clamp, then a screw driver to *gently* force the calipers open while the old pads are still installed, so watch the pads don't bind your pins.

I'm not sure if the pins were slightly bent (unlikely), or just had wear/rust marks on them, but they seemed to be tighter in some spots than others when I turned them with the pliers, which is why I worked them back and forth rather than around like unscrewing a bolt.

The last pin was really, really stuck. I ended up slightly mushrooming it, even with the proper size punch, but it had to come out. The mushroom pushed through the hole easily, though, so no problem.

That last pin took more PB and beer to get it out than the others :-)

Before reinstalling the pins, we cleaned them up on a wire wheel and no problems. Used cotter pins when reinstalled, instead of the pretzel thing.

Brake pads slip right out the back of the caliper, which you *don't* have to remove if just doing pads.

The biggest helps: PB Blaster, small file, good channel locks (with teeth- I know we all have several pair without many teeth), the punch, and a good hammer!

The spring-type holders and other parts weren't any problems. Rather nice design, but different than anything else I've worked on. Had to figure it out...

Hope this helps someone else.

-DiskDoctr