03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Fog light switch.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog light switch.

Greetings,
I am looking for a little help. I have a set of IPF 968 lights for my ARB bumper. I can not use my fog lights with the bumper and I would like to use the original fog light switch. The IPF lights have three wires for their switch...red, white, and black. The fog light switch has white/black, blue, green/white, and green. I would like the IPF lights to work with the high beams and use the switch to turn the IPF lights on or off. I can not seem to get the wiring to work with the fog light switch...can it be done? If not I will use the IPF switch. Any thought would be great.

Thanks,
2wptaco
Old 08-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3 wire set is usually for a lighted switch. Mine have 3 wire one for power from battery ground from battery and one for a solid or earth ground meaning to frame or similar. I run mine Thur a relay out to the switch battery power battery ground and then the frame ground. use a meter and find your polairty on the switch and ground then you should have no problems with wiring it up. Hope that helps.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
3 wire set is usually for a lighted switch. Mine have 3 wire one for power from battery ground from battery and one for a solid or earth ground meaning to frame or similar. I run mine Thur a relay out to the switch battery power battery ground and then the frame ground. use a meter and find your polairty on the switch and ground then you should have no problems with wiring it up. Hope that helps.
Thanks...What I have figured out is the white/black wire is the ground for the fog light switch. The other three I am stumped...I have the relay for the IPF and have everything wired as per the instructions. I can not seem to get by the fog light switch. When I have it wired one way the IPF lights come on, but I can not turn them off with the switch. If I try a different combination the IPF lights do not come on at all. When I started this...I thought cool, original fog light switch for the IPF lights...clean and simple.

Thanks,
2wptaco
Old 08-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2wptaco
Thanks...What I have figured out is the white/black wire is the ground for the fog light switch. The other three I am stumped...I have the relay for the IPF and have everything wired as per the instructions. I can not seem to get by the fog light switch. When I have it wired one way the IPF lights come on, but I can not turn them off with the switch. If I try a different combination the IPF lights do not come on at all. When I started this...I thought cool, original fog light switch for the IPF lights...clean and simple.

Thanks,
2wptaco
If I read this right you have 4 wires??? If so you must have a dual power/switch power then ground and earth ground. When you wire it up like said and it turns the lights on do you have a switch light on?? Do you have ground to battery and ground to frame/body?? I belive you have to have a ground to complete the loop and be able to turn on and off the lights. Meaning your ground is what completes the loop bringing power to the light switch.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:02 PM

If I read this right you have 4 wires??? If so you must have a dual power/switch power then ground and earth ground. When you wire it up like said and it turns the lights on do you have a switch light on?? Do you have ground to battery and ground to frame/body?? I belive you have to have a ground to complete the loop and be able to turn on and off the lights. Meaning your ground is what completes the loop bringing power to the light switch.
Thanks again...

Four wires for the for light switch. I will give it another go in the morning. I will look at the grounds.

One of the four is to illuminate the switch...I think the green/white wire. Maybe the fresh look in the morning and your suggestions will clear it up.

I will let you know.

Thanks again for the tips.
2wptaco
Old 08-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

Good Luck
Old 08-10-2007, 02:33 PM

Good Luck
Thanks for your help. Your suggestions and a little time away from the projected worked. I got everything wired correctly and back together this morning. I assumed the black was the ground from the IPF wiring...the white was what I needed. Once I got over that brain-fart it all fell into place.

Thanks for your time and help.

2wptaco