03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Finally ! A production 4th Gen lift !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully I can clear up a bit of confusion regarding tires and CV/front drive shaft angles.

First, the tires. I have 265/75R17s. These tires, on my AR Diamondbacks with 0 offset rubbed quite a bit on my front mud flaps and at the front of the wheelwell. The mudflaps are now history and I haven't had any problems with the other rubbing issue during the limited wheeling I've done since. Here's my point: with a 2" lift, 285s would require some MAJOR trimming just for street use. Please note, however, that this was experienced with 0 offset wheels - I have no idea what you could do with the factory offset.

Next the driveshaft angles. I can see absolutely no problems with the front CV boots or drive shaft angles with any lift approaching 4 inches. With my 2" lift, the driveshaft angles are barely past level, and could easily go another 1" in lift. Obviously, I am considering only the CV boot/drive shaft angles here - I have no idea how the rest of the suspension will take a higher lift.

By the way, I found out that you CAN get stuck in a 4th Gen if you lose traction on 1 wheel on each axle. Time for that locker !

Steve
Old 09-27-2003, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
hehe, some of the 4th gen owners here wouldn't want to hear my answer to that question.
I don't get it either? You think its too ugly to go on your page or something??
Old 09-27-2003, 08:14 PM

Where did you get 265/75/17 BFG All Terrains?

I did a quick search on Tirerack, and could not find this size, only the 265/70s
Old 09-28-2003, 07:35 AM

Where did you get 265/75/17 BFG All Terrains?
Doh ! Busted.... My tires are 265/70R17s, not 75s... Now where did I put that Sam Adams ???

Steve
Old 09-28-2003, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jgs9455
I don't get it either? You think its too ugly to go on your page or something??
I guess you missed the big smiley behind my answer. It was a joke. it seems everytime something is said about the 4th gen by me a bunch of thin-skinned kooks jump my behind, so I didn't want to say anything about it.

I just haven't taken many photo's of it since we bought it. because most of my photo's are of wheeling and mods. not pretty portraits of a vehicle all shined up with armourall on the rubber and so on. I thought the idea of my site was to show MY 4Runner. If she wants to show her's then she can create a page for it, I have no problem with that, I just don't have the time to do it for her.

If it will make you guys happy I'll put a pic of it on there in the next couple days. search some of my posts from around May and you should find some pics posted, for those thin-skinned dudes don't read the comments.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Keisur: That would be cool if you could put a few on there. It is a nice looking runner. I'm sure a bunch of people interested in buying would like to see that color outside of the dealership.

I agree with you that your site is for your Runner and mods, not to show hers off. She can get a few friends and join YT and show her own Yota.

RE: 4th Genners getting into a hissy
I think the main reason, or at least mine is many people are discrediting the fact that it is a very well constructed and though out vehicle. Capabilities lag in only in a few areas depending on your opinion. Looks (up to you) and clearance. That problem will be fixed as soon as the mods become available. A couple of times I have gotten pissed off because someone stated the 4th Gen wasn't as good as their current modded 1992 Runner. Fact is, it only lacks mods. Reality is that regardless of what they're driving it doesn't compare to a locked and lifted FJ. (IMHO)

4Runner Base vs base the 4th is a better vehicle in nearly every capacity, but that doesn't mean its a better vehicle by any means.

Again it goes back to the looks thing. A lot of people just don't like it which is fine, but don't bash it! (not talking to you)

Personally the best Runner ever produced was the 2 door slow as hell 1st Gen, but thats just my opinion.

Later,

Doug

Last edited by 02Runner; 09-28-2003 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 02Runner
Personally the best Runner ever produced was the 2 door slow as hell 1st Gen, but thats just my opinion.

Later,

Doug
I agree with you there you Costa Rican wannabe, . {yea inside joke}

Actually I thought I had one on there but I just realized one the new site I am putting together to replace that 4Runner site (first attempt since my college days at 'Bama so it is rather basic) and I should have it done in about a month. not much time since the panamanian wife has me in spanish refresher classes since she tells me I'm a little rusty for our next trip down to see her family. 10 hour workdays and then 2 hours in class 4 nights a week until december, real fun!
Old 09-28-2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Good Times
Keisur:

I'm still stock and I rub at full lock when i go into my driveway
Really... I have the BFG's 265/70/17's AT-KO and only have very mild rub at the most articulation while at a full wheel lock.

Maybe I am just not noticeing it or just lucky.?.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Greenhorne
Really... I have the BFG's 265/70/17's AT-KO and only have very mild rub at the most articulation while at a full wheel lock.

Maybe I am just not noticeing it or just lucky.?.
he's got less backspacing. which means his wheels are turning on a bigger radius which brings the edges of the tire closer at full lock. your's are stock wheels right? that's why his rub hard and your's don't.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:30 AM

Yes, they are on stock wheels. Info like this is why I love this forum... it can make a novice like myself into a bit less of a novice with all the schooling going on.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:39 AM

Lefty,
I know you said the truck felt a bit more tippy with the lift. I'm not surprised since 2" is alot of weight, alot higher. Mathematically, it makes sense it's going to be more tippy.

But, other than that, how are the handling characteristics? Any other differences?

Thanks,
Old 09-29-2003, 05:34 PM

Firsttoy,

Other than the increased "tippiness", the ride quality is exactly the same. Even thinking back to when I had the stock wheels on the truck with the 2" lift, it was more stable than the bone-stock Tundra I had before.

With that said, handling improved IMMENSELY once I got the wheels with less offset. At this point, the truck handles the same as the stock vehicle did (Doing the math, it's pretty obvious why: increased height=2", increased tread width=2").

So my suggestion to anyone that LOVES the way their 4th Gen handles now, but wants a lift: Get wheels with less offset to counter-act the increased center of gravity.

Hope that helps !

Steve
Old 09-29-2003, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Lefty
So my suggestion to anyone that LOVES the way their 4th Gen handles now, but wants a lift: Get wheels with less offset to counter-act the increased center of gravity.
hehe, I tried to convince my wife last night to let me lift hers but, aside from the Xreas obstacle, she said "no." oh well, maybe after another year I can convince her. can we get some pics of the actual spacers in the coilovers and rear springs? did you do anything to the panhard rod? I can't recall whether you said you put a panhard drop bracket on or not.

J.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:55 PM

can we get some pics of the actual spacers in the coilovers and rear springs? did you do anything to the panhard rod?
Hmmm.... Good point about getting pix of the spacers. I'll have to take some.

Ummm.... Keisur ?? Buddy ? You know how it kills me to bust you like this (actually, no, not really ). But there isn't a panhard on the 4th Gen - it's rack-and-pinion. So, without a doubt, I can tell you that I didn't put a drop panhard on my Runner...

Steve
Old 09-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Lefty
Hmmm.... Good point about getting pix of the spacers. I'll have to take some.

Ummm.... Keisur ?? Buddy ? You know how it kills me to bust you like this (actually, no, not really ). But there isn't a panhard on the 4th Gen - it's rack-and-pinion. So, without a doubt, I can tell you that I didn't put a drop panhard on my Runner...

Steve
Oops, I think you got confused. Have you notice the one in the rear? that's the one I was talking about. So I think I reverse busted you, hehe.

Last edited by keisur; 09-29-2003 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by keisur
Oops, I think you got confused. Have you notice the one in the rear? that's the one I was talking about. So I think I reverse busted you, hehe.

haha j/k
It would be nice to see detail pics Lefty
Old 09-29-2003, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by FirstToy
[IMG]
haha j/k
It would be nice to see detail pics Lefty
FirstToy, I know you were joking but I don't understand the joke. can you explain that one cause I want to laugh but I want to know why I'm laughing. I wish I had a close-up of madonna and britney, I could do without seeing the homo with the buzzcut though, justin timbergay is it?
Old 09-29-2003, 08:04 PM

Here you go!

You know "owned!" like you made a good comeback?
Old 09-30-2003, 04:17 AM
Contributing Member

Here you go!

OK! I got it now. thanks.

I also appreciate that animated gif. I missed "The Kiss" on TV and wanted to see what all the huh-bub was about. now I think I need to be alone for a few minutes.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:28 AM

Here you go!

Mama...........

Quick Reply: Finally ! A production 4th Gen lift !!