03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

another 4th gen. lift in progress soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 05:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daystar is about $249, RevTek is $419.

(gotta run to school but will reply more to these other posts soon)

GoodTimes assures me the 3" RevTek will be just fine on the CVs ... ???
Old 03-17-2004, 08:38 AM
Banned

SacState ... actually, the CV thing was a concern of mine as well. You wouldn't believe how much of this forum I have read just in researching all the different lift types and applications and procedures and concerns! Then to narrow it down to those applicable to the 4th gens ... then to the XREAS ... then studying up on all the parts involved and checking and double-checking with all the helpful guys around here! Anyway ... one of my main concerns was what damage the lift would do or cause on any other part of the suspension (as I do not have a mechanic around here whom I trust or a dealership that isn't a raging stealership). I read up on the CV issue and popular yotatech opinion holds that 3" is okay but anything above 3" would be cutting it close and approaching an uncomfortable amount of lift on the other suspension components. However, there are others out there who would say that even 4" is okay. Wanting to stay on the safe side, however, I have bugged many of the 4th gen owners who have lifted their rigs, and they insist that the 3" is not going to damage the CVs.

willymoe explained it to me:
you won't have any problems with the cv boots. The 4th gen has a negative cv angle as opposed to previous years that had a positive angle.

Also, the 3" RevTek for the 4th gens is actually 3" in front and 2.5" in rear, so even that is somewhat safer than a full 3" (though with all the explanations I've received from other people, even 3" all around would be just fine). The RevTek kit is designed with components that should, in theory, not stress the CV joints as much as some other companies' 3" spacers. Being a college student and not wanting to do anything too risky for fear of having trouble down the line and needing money that I won't have to repair some major problems, I would not install anything that I thought would put any overwhelmingly damaging stresses on any part of the vehicle. That said, I feel safe going with the RevTek 3" kit, and I would also have felt safe with the 2.5" kit from DayStar.

The only reason I chose RevTek over DayStar is what I've heard from a few people about the slightly superior design of the spacer. Nonetheless, I have no doubt that the DayStar kit would do the trick just fine and not fail to impress any of you 4th gen guys wanting a lift.

I'm getting my RevTek kit from Gary at wheelersoffroad.com. I just put in my order a few minutes ago, and can't wait to see it at my doorstep! Since I have some web space, when I start to post a lot of pictures and writeups on the process and tools and things, I will probably just put them at my website, and link to them from here. That way, it won't take 5 hours for you guys with dial-up to load.

Today after I have lunch with my buddy, I will probably run over to PepBoys to get another set of jack stands. I have one set of 3.5 ton stands, and another set of 2 ton stands ... I'm not quite sure if that would suffice? I know the 3.5 ton stands will be fine, but I need to be able to have all four wheels off the ground. What do you guys think? If it sounds iffy at all, I will just get some more 3.5 ton stands ...

Also gotta get an impact wrench to torque all the bolts the correct amount, but I need one of those anyway just to have around here.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Billf6531

I'm not trying to contaminate or hi-jack this thread. I have XREAS and I'm looking for a 1" front lift to level the 4Runner. I've done some research and in doing so, found what appears to be another good lift source for non-XREAS: http://www.protechezlift.com/Products.html

No coil/shock dis-assembly required. It won't work with the XREAS because it requires you to rotate the shock 180 degrees to re-align the bolts to the top body mount. I sent an email to Brian, there, and hopefully he has or can develop a solution for XREAS. Otherwise Rev-Tek / Daystar here I come.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

I wish I could watch you doing this. I have the Daystar lift, but haven't been able to install it due to not finding a reliable mechanic, and not having the wrench time to take the task on myself. Looking forward to seeing your write up and pics.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:41 AM
Banned

Bill - no worries, I was hoping that a lot of you other 4th gen owners would chime in here - whether about my project, or just lifting or anything 4th gen in general ... so feel free to post - I'm always happy to see more of us exploring the options for our trucks! Plus, I really do plan on documenting this to the best of my ability. I know some other guys have beat me to the lift, and Daystar has installation instructions for the XREAS truck in the making, and I know some other guys have already posted pics and various details ... but I have yet to find any one account that really gives specifics and pictures and ideas about what they personally encountered at each step. Who knows, maybe it is a lot more simple than I am picturing - but either way, one more documented lift (my own) can't hurt!

I haven't heard much about protechezlift.com, but the pictures of the spacers sure look goooood! Keep us updated on what you hear back from them. Also, pretty much anything is possible - I know only a few months back people were still saying that lifting the XREAS truck with the spacers was going to be near-impossible ... but someone went and did it, and found that, lo and behold, it's possible! So ... chances are, we'll find out that a great many things are more possible than we thought. And chances also are that more and more companies will develop products to fit the truck - XREAS or not.

Biff -- I understand, I wish I could've watched someone do it too, but at some point, I realized that I just have to keep my wits about me and tackle this project because I believe it's perfectly do-able, and I want the lift, and I want to take the time to really know what I'm doing and understand the parts I'm handling and do it right. Also, I kind of trust myself with the XREAS more than I would trust an auto shop, or 4Wheel Parts. But don't worry, I'll be stumbling along the whole time, and taking pictures and writing a writeup, so it may be that you're better off not being around while I go at the project at a snail's pace. But I will provide pictures and details enough that it should help a little bit - and maybe more because it won't involve the cursing and 80's music that you'd probably have to suffer through if you were watching.

Tell me though ... if I place the 3.5ton jack stands diagonally and the 2ton jack stands diagonally, (thus, respectively, up front would be 3.5ton and 2ton, in rear 2ton and 3.5ton) would that suffice as far as supporting the weight of the truck??
Old 03-17-2004, 10:55 AM

Bill,
I think someone mentioned you could ask daystar for any height spacer. 1", 2", 2.5", etc.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Banned

People told me to contact Dan at Daystar with any questions I had ... so, Bill, that might at least help you figure out what's available and how you could get ahold of exactly what you're looking for if you end up wanting to go with Daystar ...

you could just send an email to tech@daystarweb.com and ask about the spacer. Just a warning, I tried 5 times to email them in the past two weeks, and every time I would get the email returned undeliverable ... so if for some reason that happens to you, just go back to http://daystarweb.com and use the phone number there ... everyone said to ask for Dan.

oh, and Mike at http://www.xtremeoff-road.com might be able to help you out with the product when/if you decide to purchase it. He has commented at the beginning of this thread, so you could send him a PM at the forum.

Last edited by 4route; 03-17-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:16 AM
Billf6531

Even if the weight of the truck was totally screwed as far as corner weighting was concerned, the maximum weight at any corner wouldn't exceed 1500 pounds, or three-quarters of a ton. Any 2-ton stand would be over-kill in your application.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Biff
I wish I could watch you doing this. I have the Daystar lift, but haven't been able to install it due to not finding a reliable mechanic, and not having the wrench time to take the task on myself. Looking forward to seeing your write up and pics.
Hi Biff,

I noticed you live in LA, just a few hours away from Morgan Hill. I'm waiting to get the tech manuals for the 4th Gen and then I'm going to attempt a lift for my 4th Gen LTD with XREAS. I'm still getting some tools, to do the job. If you want you can come up to watch and !!

I hope not to injure myself or destroy the Runner. I will post a thread once I have all the stuff I need to start. I haven't ordered my Daystar kit yet, but will be shortly. I'm looking for 2.5" front and 2" rear.

4route, good luck and post the pics. SOunds like you will defintely beat me to the lift
Old 03-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Hi Biff,

I noticed you live in LA, just a few hours away from Morgan Hill. I'm waiting to get the tech manuals for the 4th Gen and then I'm going to attempt a lift for my 4th Gen LTD with XREAS. I'm still getting some tools, to do the job. If you want you can come up to watch and !!

I hope not to injure myself or destroy the Runner. I will post a thread once I have all the stuff I need to start. I haven't ordered my Daystar kit yet, but will be shortly. I'm looking for 2.5" front and 2" rear.

4route, good luck and post the pics. SOunds like you will defintely beat me to the lift
Sounds like a good idea, its worth the trip to watch you do the install. Send me an email when you have it setup. I also got the Daystar 2.5 front and 2.0 in the back.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Billf6531

I received an email from Dan Sexton @ Daystar, confirming that they have a 1" front leveling lift, and providing their generic instructions. He referred me to one of their Canadian dealers, who quoted a two week build/turn-around time. This solution requires dis-assembly of the shock package.

I also received an email from Brian @ ProTechEzLift, who advised that he'll have a look at a solution that I suggested. One not involving dis-assembly of the shock package.

I can't tell from his website where he's located, but he offered a free parts and labour lift to anyone near (916) 220-2137, that would allow him to take some measurements of the top mount on their XREAS'd Runner. I hope someone steps up to the plate.

Last edited by Billf6531; 03-17-2004 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling, as usual
Old 03-17-2004, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Hi Biff,

Indeed, I'd like to see too Since I'm also in LA. Well sort of... damn 909 but it's all good... lol

Anyway, I have the manuals and they're pretty basic just like any other install.

Victor: If you need help on the wrenching, let me know since ALH is only 25min away from me. I would be more than happy to give ya a lending hand.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Hey guys, I was the one who promised 4Route a brief write up and some pics. I haven't had a chance to get them up due to a major issue that came up on Sunday night with my uncle up north. I had to leave town for a few days but I am back at home and am editing the pics tonight. I will post this write up here on this thread.

If I can't finish tonight, It'll be in the morning before I go to work.

Having done this myself, I did see something that was very significant. I think Lefty said find some air tools or a good spring compressor. I whole heartedly second that. The bolt type compressors are a serious PITA. Try advanced auto parts or another store to rent/borrow from. I used air tools on the first one, but hand tools the second time I did it. Each time was with the bolt design and it was a bear without air tools.

It can be done though. Just be sure to disconnect the ABS lines or be extremely gentle with them. I left mine attached FYI.

If I forget anything, please post it right away so someone doesn't pay the price for my dumba## mistake.

I'll get the pics up as quick as I can,

Doug M.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Banned

Doug,
Please don't worry about getting the pics up. Especially don't worry about hurrying.

What kind of air tools are you referring to? Do you just mean like an impact wrench? Does an air ratchet = an impact wrench?

Did you use an internal coil compressor or an external one?

Again, don't worry if you don't get around to replying right away - just when you're able.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

The tools I have used are an impact wrnech (air) and a ratchet. You could also use a cordless drill with the proper sized socket if necessary. The biggest PITA is the amount of thread that must be twisted in order to compress the spring. I think even "Popeye" would get a little fatigued with hand tools, turning these things down to a point they were easy to work with. Remember: "smaller is better". The more compressed they are, the easier they are to replace after you've removed them.

I used the external thread type. Craftsman from Sears with a safety lock on them. The safety is just a pin that pops into place keeping the spring attached to the compressor.

I should be able to get that post up tonight. I just have to upload the pics to my Comcast locker and do a quick write up to add to the Daystar lift instructions.

As a matter of fact, I think Daystar has released their XREAS lift instructions just today. Biff may have even gotten them in an email.

I'll be back in a little while, hopefully with pics and a write up.

Doug M.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:10 PM

4route- I Used 2 external coil spring compressors , I really dont think a Internal one will work as you would need to remove the springs from the truck to get the the internal compressor attached to the inside of the spring.

When using the external compressors, make sure you use the entire length of the threads, as I think you will be suprised on how far you need to compress the springs to fit the spacer. I picked the compressors up at Advanced Auto Parts, I think they were around $40.

I agree that a Impact wrench or Air ratchet is the way to go, I tried doing it by hand and gave up real quick. I found that a 8 inch extention for the Impact wrench was a big help.

I do not have Xreas but after looking at one, the procedure does not seem much different besides the fact that you cannot remove the front struts completely. Good Luck!!!!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:22 PM
Banned

Guys -- Thanks for all the help ... I will probably go to a store like Sears or something and pick up some tools tomorrow or Saturday. I dunno when the lift will get here - I put the order in today so it should be shipped out tomorrow ... probably won't get it till next week sometime. Luckily, Mon. and Wed. I only have classes till noon ... so I could get things started on the lift thereafter, and hopefully finish before it gets too too late.

Thanks!!

Taints2k3, I know you don't have XREAS, but how do you like the lift? I've already ordered it, so there's no turning back now,
Old 03-17-2004, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 4route
Guys -- Thanks for all the help ... I will probably go to a store like Sears or something and pick up some tools tomorrow or Saturday. I dunno when the lift will get here - I put the order in today so it should be shipped out tomorrow ... probably won't get it till next week sometime. Luckily, Mon. and Wed. I only have classes till noon ... so I could get things started on the lift thereafter, and hopefully finish before it gets too too late.

Thanks!!

Taints2k3, I know you don't have XREAS, but how do you like the lift? I've already ordered it, so there's no turning back now,

The Lift is great. I do have one complaint however, I have problem around the fitment of the rear shocks, they do not fit as snug as the originals, I may even end up putting the stock shocks back on(after I order a new one, driver side required a air chisel to remove, pretty much destroyed it).. I dont think you will need to worry about this as you will not be using the shocks that come with the lift.

question: How do you remove the studs in the front struts on Xreas truck? This required me to compress the strut assembly(not just the spring) to romove the plate holding the studs, so they could be hammered out. Havent seen any posts around this.. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Banned

Okay ... I just ordered some Craftsman coil compressors from Sears (because I know my brother or I will continue to get use out of them even after this project) and now all I need is an impact wrench.

I have a 3/8" Craftsman ratchet set from my dad, so I'll need to get a 3/8" impact wrench ... I can't spend too too much money on this, but I definitely want something that will torque the bolts the right amount -- does anyone know what that would be? Any recommendations as to the impact wrench?
Old 03-17-2004, 06:41 PM
Banned

Taints2k3 -- Gosh, I may not have an answer for that one until I really get under the truck ... but, what "studs" are you referring to?

Quick Reply: another 4th gen. lift in progress soon