03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4th Gen Parts Wish List...fill us in!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th Gen Parts Wish List...fill us in!

Alright all, post any and every idea you have regarding parts you want to see available for your 4th gen. 4Route has started a list as follows, let the comments fly!

another thread might be better (just because I worry that others may miss out on getting to suggest things by overlooking this thread) ... but what I think of is/are:

(in no particular order)

skid plate/s - something that is actually heavy duty and useful (as opposed to the rather skimpy sort that comes stock)

rock sliders - this maybe somewhat difficult for those of us with xreas because the lines run right along the frame where one would usually weld the sliders

upper a-arms - obvious reasons, and I know these have been mentioned

panhard drop brackets - see "upper a-arms" reason

front recovery point - I don't know if any of you have experienced this, but when I was stuck in the mud, we had problems finding a good place to put the recovery strap in the front ... the current tow points up there don't seem to want to fit shackles in a very safe way ... I dunno, this may not be important, just a thought

front bumper - I know, this would be incredibly expensive to make, so that may not be good for right now ... but, personally I'd like a place to attach a winch, maybe some extra lights ... just something that would give a bit more protection up front

rear bumper - see above, but minus the winch thing

anyway, these are all just thoughts, nothing too specific, just ideas. if I think of anymore, I'll throw them out here too. I know these have already been thought of, just wanted to start the list.

Also, if anyone could get us a few pics of the X-reas lines where they run along the frame so we can get a better understanding of what needs to be done in the fabrication of our sliders, that would be great. I am gonna run by the local dealer to take a look as well.

Billy
Old 05-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Banned

Billy, you should ask me these things when we're talking - I would be more than happy to give you any info on my 4Runner that would help. By now you've probably gotten the info you need, but in the future, if you think of it and we're talking, just let me know and I can get you the info immediately.

If you still need pics, let me know ... I'll be back home around 7.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

I dont have a 4th gen but you guys need lockers.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:29 PM

Billy, Here is a pic of how my sliders are mounted. They are lower than the usual mounting due to the XREAS lines, but they work. (Been rock tested a couple of times!)

The number one item on my needs list are skid plates to replace by mangled ones.

Old 05-30-2004, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by 4run4fun
Billy, Here is a pic of how my sliders are mounted. They are lower than the usual mounting due to the XREAS lines, but they work. (Been rock tested a couple of times!)

The number one item on my needs list are skid plates to replace by mangled ones.

Awesome!...thanks for the pic and info. Your gas tank skid appears it has taken a beating as well. Skids are in the works for sure. Another member on the forum has brought up the skid idea as well. I'll keep you all posted as we complete these skids and sliders...(got some tricks up our sleeves on those )

DBikeman-
always something to say, dont ya, lol... ...yeah, lockers for sure, just outta our league at the moment.

Later all,

Billy
Old 05-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Banned

Billy, I hope these help some.

driver's side, rear looking forward:

passenger's side, rear looking forward:

Old 05-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Banned

add to the list:

a rear coil that gives more than 2.5" lift

I know you are already considering this, but I thought I ought to add it to the list anyway, to let you know there would probably be a great deal of interest in this product!
Old 05-30-2004, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

From those pictures it looks like it wouldnt be that hard to relocate the xreas stuff up and inch or two or maybe try to run the lines on top of the frame rails.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:59 PM

Billy - yeah ALL my skids are beat. I am definately on board for some when they are available. I know Jason Demello is working on developing some.

dbikeman - relocating would probably require fabbing new lines due to the fact that they are rigid tubing. That would require recharging the system. Could probably be done, but I doubt it would be worth the effort.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by 4run4fun
Billy - yeah ALL my skids are beat. I am definately on board for some when they are available. I know Jason Demello is working on developing some.

dbikeman - relocating would probably require fabbing new lines due to the fact that they are rigid tubing. That would require recharging the system. Could probably be done, but I doubt it would be worth the effort.
sweet, thanks all...i have already created a solution to the x-reas...i'll keep ya posted.

Billy
Old 05-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Banned

Billy is so smart, I can't wait to see what he does!
Old 05-30-2004, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by 4route
Billy is so smart, I can't wait to see what he does!
Wow, i sure have her fooled...

Billy
Old 05-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Banned

sad thing is, if you had me fooled, i wouldn't know. but i don't think you've got me fooled - you're a smartie. and i don't think you'd do that anyway.
but you should know, my new name is u.h.o.m. (unhuggable hairy old man) i would appreciate being addressed as such.

Last edited by 4route; 05-30-2004 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

why not just weld them on on the other side (inside) of the frame rail. Have an "L" bracket design at the end of the slider. does this make sense?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
why not just weld them on on the other side (inside) of the frame rail. Have an "L" bracket design at the end of the slider. does this make sense?
I'm wondering if that weld setup can securely hold the dead weight of the truck on the sliders itself. I'm thinking a U design is better (similar to a box design).

Comments?
Old 05-31-2004, 09:51 AM

I'm sure you could come up with a stronger mount than I have, but fwiw I have dragged mine over rocks with a wheel off the ground and they have held up perfectly. Between the sliders and the skids I think I am starting to enjoy the sound of metal on rock!
Old 05-31-2004, 10:48 AM

No need to worry...I have a completely legit and strong design that is being worked out as we speak. Just have some patience.

4route-
You know I am just playing with ya...expect to see your new parts late next week...

Billy
Old 05-31-2004, 01:03 PM
Banned

Billy, I finished changing out the spacers. I took measurements and a couple pictures (not as many as i took during the Revtek install ... but that's just because i already covered most of the process) ... anyway, it looks great and worked great. In comparing the two spacers - yours and the Revtek tops, I found that the Revtek ones actually had a few uneven edges! Yours, on the other hand, were nice and uniform all the way around.

The only part that concerned me was the bolt length after that. It'll be fine the way mine is setup, but if someone is planning on welding anything else to yours, (which I do NOT recommend), they will need longer bolts for sure.

I busted another boot, but that's okay. Mostly it went very smoothly, only problem was with some mud stuck in between the revtek top spacer and the top cap/plate of the strut ... and then I had fun at the end whacking the hell out of the plastic cone type things under the front bumper as it spilled sand slowly like an hour glass! Then the alarm went off, so I thought I should stop hitting it with a stick.

Anyway ... I will post the pics later this evening. Thank you again, Billy, for the awesome product. I won't be going any higher in the front, as your spacer puts me at a very comfortable height.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by 4route
Billy, I finished changing out the spacers. I took measurements and a couple pictures (not as many as i took during the Revtek install ... but that's just because i already covered most of the process) ... anyway, it looks great and worked great. In comparing the two spacers - yours and the Revtek tops, I found that the Revtek ones actually had a few uneven edges! Yours, on the other hand, were nice and uniform all the way around.

The only part that concerned me was the bolt length after that. It'll be fine the way mine is setup, but if someone is planning on welding anything else to yours, (which I do NOT recommend), they will need longer bolts for sure.

I busted another boot, but that's okay. Mostly it went very smoothly, only problem was with some mud stuck in between the revtek top spacer and the top cap/plate of the strut ... and then I had fun at the end whacking the hell out of the plastic cone type things under the front bumper as it spilled sand slowly like an hour glass! Then the alarm went off, so I thought I should stop hitting it with a stick.

Anyway ... I will post the pics later this evening. Thank you again, Billy, for the awesome product. I won't be going any higher in the front, as your spacer puts me at a very comfortable height.
Glad to hear you are happy and the install went smooth. Our spacers are quite a bit nicer than the revteks, huh... ...what can I say? I am in 100% compliance with you that where you, ahriman, and I are sitting is as high as the front should go. Also, as you stated, the spacers are built to what we felt the max height could be with the retention of the revtek studs...taking safetly into account as well.

Cant wait to see the pics and measurements...glad you are one happy girl!

Billy

Last edited by fourunnabilly; 05-31-2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:40 PM
Banned

why did your spacers increase the rear height as well? that seems inappropriate and uncalled for!

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Parts Wish List...fill us in!