03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

2009 4Runner Trail Edition: Now with locking rear diff.!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 4Runner Trail Edition: Now with locking rear diff.!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...oyota_car_news

4Runner: A new Trail Edition has a long list of outdoorsy extras, including a locking rear differential, Bilstein shocks, tubular step bars and roof rack, and a TomTom detachable navigation system.
And why exactly they couldn't offer it earlier?!?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 AM

Yea - that's going to be a VERY nice platform, and a pleasant return to the 4Runner's roots. Maybe bye-bye FJC though....
Old 09-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

That's the only source that is proclaiming this but I won't believe it til a 4Runner is sitting in a showroom with a diff lock in it.

It is what a bunch of people that want a new gen but with a bit more stock off road capabilities will be clamoring for if it does indeed come out.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:07 PM

http://www.toyota.com/4runner/trail-edition.html

does that make you believe it more?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM

mmm all kinds of pretty..... now how am i supposed to decide between a 4runner and an FJ..... (*&$^(*& TOYOTA MAKING MY DECISIONS DIFFICULT
Old 09-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Kinked
mmm all kinds of pretty..... now how am i supposed to decide between a 4runner and an FJ..... (*&$^(*& TOYOTA MAKING MY DECISIONS DIFFICULT
If rumors are true that the Fj is getting the Axe, you won't have to

I would like to see them offer rock rails, like on the FJ Cruiser. That was one of Toyotas better options/ideas.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:27 PM

I could do without the Tom Tom and nerf bars.

And, I wanna see the "Rock Warrior" Tundra

Last edited by CC_yota; 09-11-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That is pretty cool they are going to finally offer a locker in it.

The rumors about the FJ going away though are just that, rumors.
Nothing it set in stone yet.

2009s are here, and the Trail Teams are still hitting the trails teaching all about how they do off road.

That is a pretty cool factory stereo setup they put in the dash on this new 4Runner.

Pretty good Flash file on its use.
http://www.toyota-eshowroom.com/Part...00K/index.html
Old 09-11-2008, 08:00 PM

Not at all impressed with the Trail Edition, no fog lights and no hood scoop. It's basicly a regular SR5 with sport edition tube steps and tube racks. And a few extra off roading enhancements added...

They are still making the Urban Runner in 09, that's definitely the way to go...

Last edited by Fo_SheeZy; 09-11-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok, that's all great, but that edition will probably cost $5000 more than the base 4Runner. That buys 2 ARB lockers, tires, a roof rack, and leaves plenty of change. Personally, that's what I'd do.

I'd be very sad to see the FJC go, it was almost like they were making a barebones vehicle again.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
Not at all impressed with the Trail Edition, no fog lights and no hood scoop. It's basicly a regular SR5 with sport edition tube steps and tube racks. And a few extra off roading enhancements added...
The rear diff lock has been absent from the 4Runners for 8 years and the addition plus it will work with the ATRAC and that is a big deal to the off roader Toyota guys that have been waiting for the return of the factory diff lock.

I bet fogs are an option and the scoop can be added later;it's the off road enhancements that make the 4runner finally be able venture further off road in stock trim than it has since the last locked 3rd gens.

It's nice to see the 4Runner return a little closer to it's off road roots but is this just a gimmick to sell a few more of the last year of the 4th gen or is this a sign the next generation 4Runner won't become the next Jeep GC?

The extra price is a bit steep and you could do more to a stock 4th gen with $5K in cash bit it's nice to be able to finance that extra $5k and it's all covered by a factory warranty and how many people can buya n ew truck and throw $5k at it right away and an aftermarket locker will void the drivetrain warranty immediatly.

Last edited by X-AWDriver; 09-12-2008 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
I would like to see them offer rock rails, like on the FJ Cruiser. That was one of Toyotas better options/ideas.
I agree. I don't see how nerf bars fit into the "trail edition" package.

Dude.....
Originally Posted by matt16
Ok, that's all great, but that edition will probably cost $5000 more than the base 4Runner. That buys 2 ARB lockers, tires, a roof rack, and leaves plenty of change. Personally, that's what I'd do.
Definitely an option to weigh the pros and cons against. Its no different than the Tacoma - do you pay $3000 for the TRD OR package to get a factory warrantied e-locker, better seats, and a few other non-essentials, or do you buy the bare-bones package and add your own trail upgrades.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Staff

They are still making the Urban Runner in 09, that's definitely the way to go...
So.....the "Trail Edition" has offroading enhancements? Whoda thunk.

Some people actually use their 4 wheel drive, and dont need fog lights and non-functional hood scoops
Old 09-12-2008, 10:00 AM

I like the idea of a 4th gen equipped for those who want it. Not everyone is going to want to rip open a new 4th gen's diff to put in their own locker.
Also the return to 16in wheels is an added bonus and the way they mimic the sought after 5 spoke LC wheels.
Obviously fog lights will be an option and most likely many will come equipped with them anyways.
It is nice to see the 4runners return a bit to their roots and not gimmick crap like the Urban 4Runner which is only there to get some folks to consider a Toyota before a chevy with chrome wheels or some other run of the mill suv to flex out in the parking lot.
I say good on Toyota, and hope the next generation of 4Runners is just as good as all the earlier generations.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Some people actually use their 4 wheel drive, and dont need fog lights and non-functional hood scoops
I've heard the hood scope adds ground clearance.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:53 AM

sorry i don't see off road with that.

maybe if they returned the sfa and such! but that won't happen
Old 09-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Add to that solid axle a manul transmission and you got a nice start
Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so wait, the FJ might get the axe? they seem to be selling pretty decent around here, not in the volume of Corollas or Tacomas, but still...

and +1 for financing and having a warranty on all that stuff.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:03 PM

I saw on 4x4 (spike tv) that Toyota is going to offer an Ironamn lineup with all kinds of after market toys added at the factory. It will be full of all the sponsers stuff from their desert racing truck. Now that sounds sweet and expensive.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Staff

Again all the "If it had a SFA i would buy it!"

I call BS. And besides that, a majority of the US population would NOT buy it. Toyota is a business, and as such needs to make money. SFA's are dead and gone, and WILL NEVER come back in a Toyota SUV in america. Every time toyota comes out with something new or updated i hear the old "shoulda built it with a SFA" or "It needs a manual trans and manual hubs" Its not gonna happen guys. No matter how much ya'll want it. Besides, would you really take your SFA rig and wheel it that much harder just because it has a SFA? No, you still aren't going to go smash up your $30k+ 4Runner no matter what suspension it has.

Quick Reply: 2009 4Runner Trail Edition: Now with locking rear diff.!