03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

05 r4unner vibration after hitting hard bump

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 05 r4unner vibration after hitting hard bump

I've got a 05 SR5 V8 4Runner that just came out of the shop... had to be repaired after hitting an open drain hole with both driver's side tires. The hit was hard enough to flatten both BFG A/T's and ruined the front drivers side wheel. I got the wheel replaced along with the two tires. Brought it in to the dealer, everything measured up correctly... no bent frame. The only thing bent was the "Spring Perch" which has been straightened. Again, everything measures up correctly. After getting the truck back, I noticed a significant vibration at highway speeds ONLY WHEN TURNING RIGHT... even slightly. When I do turn right and get the vibration, it feels and sounds like when you hit the warning strip on the side of the interstate. I then noticed that the space between the wheel and the wheel well wall is different on the drivers side than on the passenger's. Brought it back to the repair shop and they said they weren't sure what it is now, but that they could try some parts until vibration went away... yeah right... that's asking for a huge bill. I have already spent close to 1000 fixing everything, and now its still messed up. Any ideas as to what is causing the vibration? Also, along with the spacing being off in the wheel well, the hood is not alligned exactly right anymore... it is no noticable unless looking for it, but it is definitely not in-line... the front driver side fender is also slightly creased under the mirror causing the paint to almost flake. Does this not indicate a bent frame? If the frame is bent, why did the dealer not notice when measuring?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, from what I said, can anyone tell if the frame is bent, and why am I getting vibration at highway speed when turning only slightly right? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Take it back and make the service rep ride with you or drive it with you in the vehicle.

A dealership actually had a frame Jig??

you have full coverage right?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the response...

Going back to ride with a mechanic later today... as of now I am pretty sure its not the axle or bearings, but that's just me guessing... just doesn't feel the same as a snapped axle for sure.

yeah the dealer does have a frame machine which is nice, but I am still not convinced... it took me to notice the wheel well spacing, hood alignment, bent fender etc. I don't think they are trying to screw me given the fact that my father is the manager of the dealership, but who knows... maybe that's why they are indeed trying to screw me... j/k.

Yeah if worse comes to worse, I do have full coverage, but I have a 1000 deductible and have already spent 750 getting the truck "fixed" up to this point... hope they use that as a credit towards my deductible should I have to file a claim...
Old 02-17-2009, 12:14 PM

BTW- I had a mechanic already ride with me earlier, and he is the one who said "I'm not sure what that is, but its not your axle... I can try replacing the bearings and (something else... can't remember), but that may not be it...". Essentially he was saying he could replace some additional parts to SEE if that was the problem... Sorry, but I want a ing diagnosis before I buy anymore parts/labor... its not cheap! I am hoping that someone may know what causes vibration when turning at high speed so I can compare to their diagnosis before they take my truck apart again and start running up a second bill. I also want to know if it sounds like the frame can be bent given the circumstances I listed above (wheel well, hood, fender) even though they have already measured... I am guessing if the frame is bent, then the truck is totalled, no?

Just a note: when I hit the open drain hole, I did not hit any part of the truck's body against anything... the only damage was to the tires/wheel/front end suspension... yet when I look at the truck now, there is a slight "warp" in the front drivers side fender where the paint is flakeing... along with the hood misalignment and different wheel well spacing, could these things be caused by anything other than a bent frame?? I don't understand how hitting a hole can damage anything on the body of the truck...

Last edited by tn4runner; 02-17-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
just thought about this: I wonder if you have any recourse again the city or whereever the open drain was?
You have not mentioned how fast you hit that open drain at, entirely possible to tweak a frame IMO...
Old 02-18-2009, 08:55 AM

I tried to file a claim with the city of Memphis (where I was at the time), but it was denied as the drain was under construction with a cone in front of it... cones aren't much of a barrier in freezing rain/frozen road conditions. I slid into the open drain doing about 20 mph... 3 foot gap that was 5 feet deep... I just bounced the left two tires right over the opening when slightly sliding around a curve. Trucks with the dealer today... should get some word this evening... will update.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:15 PM

Talking

So I got final word on the problem today... the vibration was just caused by a loose peice of rubber from the control arm bushing. The bad news is that they found more damage. The frame is indeed not bent, and the wheel well spacing is correct... the measurments all matched factory specs. The additional damage is all cosmetic... I hit the bump so hard that it creased my front driver side fender which in turn pushed the hood assembly out of allignement. Had to go ahead and bite the bullet and report it to Geico... at least Geico is being cool about the whole thing and letting me apply the work I have already had performed to my deductible. The total estimate to fix everything back to new is $3000, but I have already spent 1200 of that, so I will get 200 back and no deductible (since 1000 of what I have paid will be applied).

Oh well, at least I have a rental to putt around in until they are done with the 4Runner next week. Quick joke: I once asked my father, who has been in the car business for years having owned many dealerships with many different brands, makes and models of cars/trucks/suv's, "Dad, what kind of car is the best for Off-Roading... what kind of car will get you through the toughest stuff?" Without even a second of hesitation, he looked at me and said, "A rental." Looks like I may be hitting the trails in a Geo Metro this week!