Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Zuk Mod Installed.......w/o any modifications

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Ovrrdrive. I think he said it right. It is perfectly safe!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
The worst thing that could happen is the truck would go back to stock height. Is that really so unsafe?

Besides, at highway speeds it's not going to come out unless the truck goes airborne and then you're going to have worse things to worry about. If it falls out while crawling you're still not going to hurt anything, and the spring will just hit the ground.

The mod is perfectly safe and has been done by hundreds of different people on this and other forums, and not one single person that I've seen has ever come back and said they had one come out.

You people need to worry less and wheel more...
All I know is that I would not trust this set up at all. I wouldn't trust the upper bumpstop to hold the spring, its not very beefy at all, not to mention your rotted frame makes those welds even weaker. And a piece of rubber holding the bottom part of the spring in? Come on.... And I would not spot anyone running this setup on the trail, I like my body the way it is, not broken.

Last edited by 89silverpu; 01-07-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 PM

This is the proper way to do this modification for anyone that wants to do this (note the coil buckets):

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...35/index2.html
Old 01-07-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by yotAddiction
Have you ever witnessed the damage that a compressed coil spring can do when, under load, it is suddenly released?

They have enough force to make a nice nesting spot into a cement wall.

Tool manufacturers put a cage around a coil spring compressor for a reason.

I'm not arguing for the sake of it, just trying to warn people the dangers of a compressed coil spring!
Thank you!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'll agree, I wouldn't trust the rubber bumpstop, either. Mine have all gone over the years from bottoming the springs out. So, I had a 2" piece of 2" diameter pipe welded in place of the rubber bumpstop and wound the top of the coil around the upper stop like MattK. Still, dead serious.....you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill with the compressed spring issue. I've had ridiculous amounts of weight in the back of my 4rnr and twisted, compressed, drooped, and bounced the suspension in every conceivable way in the countryside I live in. Even with rubber stops, the springs are going nowhere. If the rubber stop pops off, it's hooked on to the upper stop......it's not going anywhere. And, the rust? Mine's atleast that rusted. It would take far more repeated force than those springs could apply to knock that metal off.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:07 PM

Thanks for all the support guys. As for the guys who think its unsafe. All I can say is WHATEVER!!!!

Last edited by mattk; 01-08-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by mattk
Thanks for all the support guys. As for the guys who think its unsafe. All I ca say is WHATEVER!!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by mattk
Thanks for all the support guys. As for the guys who think its unsafe. All I ca say is WHATEVER!!!!
I hope, for the sake of God, that when that spring pops out no one is injured. It'll be a lesson learned, just hopefully not a deadly one for you or anyone else.

Ignorance is not bliss, my friend.

Take a coil spring out of a ballpoint pen, compress it between your fingers and let it slip out. See how, when the potential energy of a compressed spring is suddenly released in an uncontrolled manner, the spring shoots off in an unpredictable direction?

That's only a small scale.

The coil spring on a vehicle is designed to hold up the car, or atleast it's portion. Imagine all the stored energy that one of these houses.

Ignorance is not bliss.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

i think its scary also and your frame is scary too. you might want to patch it up with some galvanized sign posts to go along with those coils.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:39 PM

I think you made your point about compressed springs and the danger, but I'm telling you you're overly concerned here. I don't know why I'm even engaging the argument. Maybe I just need a good one to vent some pent up energy.

"When" the spring pops out? Ignorance is not bliss? What you don't seem to grock is that it's your ignorance since you seem to be ignoring what the experienced testimonies say. NOT ONE CASE OF ANY INCIDENTS HAS OCCURRED with this mod. Why????? Because IT'S NOT GOING TO!

For your information, in order to even get the coil in between the axle and frame the suspension has to be spread beyond it's normal range which it will never see in any offroad situation. And, look at it and how it's put on. The pig tail is twisted onto to the upper stop. I don't know about MattK or anyone else, but it was not easy getting the coil on there. The only way it will come off the stop is if twists off......which is NOT going to happen.

Sorry, brother, but you have no experience with this modification and therefore no base in which to call ignorance. You're only speculating.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by DudeBud
i think its scary also and your frame is scary too. you might want to patch it up with some galvanized sign posts to go along with those coils.
And the hockey puck body lift!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:42 PM

I'll concede the rust issue....and the rubber stop, again. Stop the rust so it doesn't get any worse, but I don't see a problem with it for the moment.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by thook

This kind of load, rather the way it's loaded, is not typical for me, but the amount of weight is. I have used the vehicle in this capacity for as long as I've had the coils/Zuk mod. It will be two summers/two years coming. No problems whatsoever. Not one sign of stress fracturing on the frame or coil mounts. I check it on regular basis.

Do you you all know what the word conjecture means?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by thook
This kind of load, rather the way it's loaded, is not typical for me, but the amount of weight is. I have used the vehicle in this capacity for as long as I've had the coils/Zuk mod. It will be two summers/two years coming. No problems whatsoever. Not one sign of stress fracturing on the frame or coil mounts. I check it on regular basis.

Do you you all know what the word conjecture means?
Yes but this is not math this is logic. You may have had good luck with this so far but I can guarantee that in the long run this set up will fail. I give up. You can do as you wish with your vehicles. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:01 PM

Guess I'm wrong then. I must be an idiot or something.

This is like welding new centers onto a rotor for a Rockwell pinion brake setup. It works, for the moment, but.. welding to cast is difficult. (I want to say impossible, but there will be a self proclaimed genious who has a brother who knows someone's friend that has done that with no issues.)

It works for the moment. I say best of luck to you when it fails.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:14 PM

Your right. They were not easy to install. I had to use a bottle jack between the leafs and the frame and jack it apart as far as I could to get the coils in there. To be honest it was more dangerous spreading them apart to get the coils in there than the mod itself. Also the frame is in great shape. No rust through in this frame. What you see in the pictures is the old undercoating peeling off. That frame is solid. One of the more solid frames than I have seen on most of these trucks. Thanks to all you guys backing me up on this mod!!!!! This mod is not going to fail!!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Yes but this is not math this is logic. You may have had good luck with this so far but I can guarantee that in the long run this set up will fail. I give up. You can do as you wish with your vehicles. Good luck.
conjecture n. Inference or judgment based on inconclusive or incomplete evidence ; guesswork. A statement, opinion, or conclusion based on guesswork

Obviously the definition has escaped you. The definition and what the word encompasses is not exclusive to mathematics, but also to logic.....incomplete logic in which you are basing your argument on. Experience should tell you that logic often falls short in light of speculation and hard evidence. Where is the evidence that this will fail? I, and others, have plenty of evidence it will not. If were going to, it would have done so by now, I can assure you. As well, you are ignoring mathematical physics that has been explained because of your opinion and bias.

You give up because you cannot sway opinion with arrogance.........what you think you know. I guess I will see you in ten years when this "contraption" is still fully operational.........and still very safe.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by yotAddiction
Guess I'm wrong then. I must be an idiot or something.

This is like welding new centers onto a rotor for a Rockwell pinion brake setup. It works, for the moment, but.. welding to cast is difficult. (I want to say impossible, but there will be a self proclaimed genious who has a brother who knows someone's friend that has done that with no issues.)

It works for the moment. I say best of luck to you when it fails.
You're completely comparing apples to oranges in this situation. Weak. The physics are completely different. And, to you....I say again, where is your evidence?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:54 PM

And, there was silence.....

Finding it difficult to argue? Nice.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:04 PM

There is no evidence that this will. There are plenty of us with the mod and no failures. Thats all that needs to be said.

Quick Reply: Zuk Mod Installed.......w/o any modifications