Sponsored by: DashLynx

The Yota wave?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stgen4gunner
He looked devastated as my 3.0 V6 pulled his mammoth 350 V8 through 2 miles
Please....

He would have really been surprised when my 4cyl pulled him out.

I used to wheel with some buddies of mine, two had K5 blazers and one had an old dodge pickup. I pulled them out countless times and they have pulled me out countless times. We always messed with each other about it, but it was all in good fun. Sounds like that guy wasn't a friend as much as he was an A-hole.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm a Yota waver.
I'll wave at other guys with Tacoma's (stock or not).

I got the wave a LOT with my old 3rd and 2nd gens.

I get a few with my Tacoma but it's mainly from the guys at the dealerships or guys that I know from them asking questions about it.

It's funny - people act like I have done something amazing with my Tacoma when all I did was put stock size tires on it.

Fink
Old 09-28-2008, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by hmmwv15
Please....

He would have really been surprised when my 4cyl pulled him out.

I used to wheel with some buddies of mine, two had K5 blazers and one had an old dodge pickup. I pulled them out countless times and they have pulled me out countless times. We always messed with each other about it, but it was all in good fun. Sounds like that guy wasn't a friend as much as he was an A-hole.
No, he's acctually a really good friend, just very proud of his fords.

It would have been worse if I had a 22re instead, but I have no doubt in my mind it could have done it.

Last edited by 1stgen4gunner; 10-01-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
It's funny - people act like I have done something amazing with my Tacoma when all I did was put stock size tires on it.

Fink
I keep getting people asking me how much lift is on my runner, and they look amazed when I say I just threw 31's on it and kept the stock suspension.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:22 AM

LOL, ive been asked how much lift i had on my 4runner a few times when it was stock. i always laughed
Old 09-28-2008, 10:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i got a wave yesterday from a stock looking 3rd gen pickup it sounded REALLY nice. thats the first time ive gotten the "yota wave" but i commonly check out peoples yotas as they go by and alot of the time theyre doin the same to me
edit: i do get a head nod quite a bit

Last edited by algranger; 09-28-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dang 3 pages in 3 days this thread must strike a familiar chord with lots of us.

Yeah I give all the Runners a wave, 1st gen-2nd gen-3rd gens. Tacoma guys most of the time. On a dirt or country road the wave is for most everyone-just lets folks know "I am friendly and not looking to trespass on your spread"

FJ cruisers and modded LandCruisers most def.

No offense to you 4th gens out there- but without a manny tranny option the newer Runner is driven by a lot of soccer moms. Or hockey moms in Palinspeak.

So unless I am specifically cougar huntin' I try not to pay attention to those...

My son is turning 16 and he thinks the wave is silly. Once he has to walk for gas once or thrice he will be converting.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:15 PM

I get the "Japan nod" from the older (80's models) Nissan and Yota guys. the guys running tundras and newer Tacoma's not so much unless its been moded
Old 09-28-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1stgen4gunner
No, he's acctually a really good friend, just very proud of his fords.

I would have been worse if I had a 22re instead, but I have no doubt in my mind it could have done it.
Believe me, you could have done the hell out of it! I was surprised the first time I pulled one of my buddies K5's out. In the mud. With BFG A/T's. Not really a matter of size, just technique. At first he laughed like your ford buddy and I laughed too, but we wanted to see if my truck could actually do it. Like I said, it did the hell out of it. We were all surprised a split second, then we were all hollering in jubilation like most rednecks that accomplish something.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by khoopes
Oh ya? some of us are sleepers... and keep our mods under the hood. Or do you have to be a rock crawler to be "into" the scene??

Jeeze...Must just be the stick up your bum

p.s who said anything about rock crawlers?

Last edited by Jay351; 09-28-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
I must admit, I am guilty of waving at pretty much every Toyota Pickup/4Runner 95 and older haha.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:37 AM

I don't get the wave around here. Most tacos are owned by preppy kids, and 4 runners are owned by soccer moms so theres not many modified trucks here. I get a lot of ppl just staring and then shaking their heads. Not that my truck is anything special, just most ppl round here dont see too many 4 runners with m/t's and that the back end doesn't drag.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:41 AM

I waved at another first gen 4Runner a while ago . He didn't wave back, looked slightly stunned then gave a big grin. I was wheeling last weekend and was driving home after ( covered in mud of course) and I got a wave from a modded jeep. I was shocked but managed to wave back.
Does everyone in around Toronto know Tristan?
Attached Thumbnails The Yota wave?-mud4.jpg  

Last edited by Zombie; 09-29-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:02 AM

not many people arouund here in san jose, ca that have lifted yotas.. and if they do theyre like mexiicans and dont wave for . but on occasion i will see a nice yota and wave and they wave back. good times.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:04 AM

Funny you should mention that, whenever im down there, i wave, except when i see a sas'd yota running 28's, then i flip them off!

lol

Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 AM

I get the Wave every time I drive my Fj40 especially with the doors off, top off and windshield down. I always try to park next to another toyota.

Sometimes I get a wave in the 4runner but since its just stock/ had the cat stolen I just get frowns from old people because of the noise.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't get the wave to often in my FJ. Considering I'm in So Cal, the majority of the people that own one are soccer moms and d-bags with 2wd automatics. I made a point the other day, to stop and talk to guy with a lifted black FJ, and always make a point to stop and chat to someone in a parking lot or at a stoplight if they got a Yote. You always get the thumbs up from me in any rig you're driving, especially if it's dirty.

Last edited by stagger_lee; 09-29-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by stagger_lee
I'm in So Cal, the majority of the people that own one are soccer moms and d-bags with 2wd automatics.
i'm one of those SoCal 2wd AUTO d-bags, and proud of it!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:32 PM

I wave to rigs that look like they have enthusiast owners. Stockers could be owned by enthusiasts who just haven't done anything with them yet, but the chances are slim. It can be a wave or a head bob or pretty much anything to let the other guy know that you appreciate his rig, and he generally does the same thing. I've talked to guys in traffic before, conditions permitting, and try to give thumbs-ups even on the highway. You know you'd be psyched if someone did it for you, so why not give someone else the pleasure?

Last night my truck fried the alternator on the way home from wheeling, so I drove my gf home in the SVO. We were at a light and just as it turned green for me, a red Mach 1 pulled up in the left turn lane and revved at me. I hung my hand out the window in acknowledgment, wound 1st out and blew off in reply. My car is rare and is obviously modded, so he knew he was dealing with a hobbyist and not just some dude in a beat-up Mustang who doesn't give a damn.

Really it's just an enthusiast thing. I don't care what they drive as long as they share my love for the hobby. Got a wave from a nice Jeep by my gym a while back, and returned the favor with no hard feelings. You guys who act all hard when dealing with non-Toyotas are, IMO, douchebags.

Last edited by Asha'man; 09-29-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
...except when i see a sas'd yota running 28's, then i flip them off!

lol

Shame on you! My stock 85 is running 29's
granted it's got the SFA from the factory, and I don't have enough for tires yet. But shame on you anyway.

Quick Reply: The Yota wave?