Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Where is the "starter / ignition relay"? Could use some gifted help here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where is the "starter / ignition relay"? Could use some gifted help here!

As some of you might have read my thread about my 90 4runner,not wanting to start all the time,I have chosen to replace the "starter / ignition relay",but one problem. It's nowhere to be found on my rig.
I have a Chilton manual, I download the sticky thread link manuals,even talked to the dude at the stealership parts department. The manuals say it can be under the hood(driver side) or in the junction at the driver side kick panel.
The stealership swears that their book tells them it's under the hood on driver side.
I have looked in vain, and cannot locate this relay ANYWHERE!!!
I even tore apart the entire dash,laid upside down,found every relay,fuse and breaker. Wrote down all numbers,not one matches the stealerships part number.
I need some serious help locating this blasted gremlin part.

If you have knowledge of this,please,help a brutha out. Please refrain from sending me pics of your 84 whatever and it's relay spot,or a similar thing you had with an old wrecked Chevy. I need some real smarts on what Im wrenching on. I'm working on my 1990 TOYOTA 4RUNNER!!! Not some alien space craft...well,maybe I am,but you get the point. Im frazzled enough trying to locate this,I don't need misdirected anymore.

For the record,in my original post, BLUEYODA told me he replaced the relays behind the passenger front kick and it solved all his styarting issues.
This is the type of info I could do without,as the relay's he replaced were for the front and rear heater relays. Kinda curious how that helped his starting issues,but thats another thread.

Thanx to all in advance.....

Last edited by dutchboy; 07-03-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

A lot of Automatics don't have a relay.

Check out this link: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...l#OtherOptions
and see the section towards the bottom - 'What if it's not the solenoid?'.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 PM

But the Chilton manual,the online download "super manual" AND the stealership all say it's under the hood/driver side. Stealership even gave me the part # so I'll know it when I come across it...if ever!
Part # 28300 - 16010
Manuals even state that the relay will say "Starter" on it.
If you are saying that alot of the automatics don't have relays,then why is everything and everyone else telling me their is one?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
You are looking for a relay thats in the fuse box...on the PASS side. Should be a blue one, if memory serves me correctly?
Old 07-03-2008, 11:38 PM

Deathcougar...
...here is that fuse junction you are refering to. Passenger side,under the hood.

I looked at all these and nothing matches the part number that the stealership gave me...#28300-16010.
Am I missing something?
Stealership and all manuals,including online sticky download,of factory manual,says it's driver side ,under the hood. Which on my rig,their is only the "ignitor" and a lone black relay w.4 wingle wires on slide on conectors. This relay only says "12v".
Am I still missing something?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Staff

Hmm.....it would indeed appear there is not relay. I must be thinking of the 92+ trucks/4Runners.

In that, I am not sure! I am stumped on this one. I dont have a truck of that generation to be able to check either
Old 07-04-2008, 10:35 AM

Apperently,you didn't read my first post in this thread completely. No offense and thanx for chiming in,but here is a quote (from myself) from the very top,1st writing this thread..."Please refrain from sending me pics of your 84 whatever and it's relay spot,or a similar thing you had with an old wrecked Chevy. I need some real smarts on what Im wrenching on. I'm working on my 1990 TOYOTA 4RUNNER!!!"
So....now I'm back to square one.
Everything and everybody tells me their is a starter relay and I even got a part number from the stealership and manul.
Someone has to know where this blasted thing is!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It should be on the passenger side fender next to the fuel injector resistors.

BTW: Automatics don't have starter relays.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
It should be on the passenger side fender next to the fuel injector resistors.

BTW: Automatics don't have starter relays.
Not to sound like a smart ass,but if automatics dont have starter relays,then why did you tell me where it should be?

You are the second person now to say that the automatics dont have a starter relay. Could this be for real?

If so,why does my Chilton manual,my download of the sticky factory manual AND the stealership parts dude,all gave me a part number and location of under the hood.driver side?

Do I need to call the dude back up and let him know that it's an automatic and then see what he says? The question of manual or automatic never came up. I think it could be that "most" Yotas are manuals..atleast thats what I see around.
I'm starting to really think that the whole "automatics don't have a starter relay" thing, could be more correct. I have torn the entire dash & kick panels apart (also installing a stereo thats why their all ripped apart), and scavenged chased every wire under the hood and never came across a starter relay...yet!
Old 07-05-2008, 01:17 AM
Staff

haha you ask for help then when we try to give you help you start in with your holier than thou attitude? If memory served me correctly, it should have been in the fuse block. Clearly my memory didn't serve me correctly. But I guess that warrants you being a tough guy trying to tell me off.

If its on the drivers side and your FSM AND the Dealer both say it is, why can't you find it?

We are all about helping guys out here on this message board, but smart ass know it alls like you we brush aside and let the thread die.

Good luck finding your part, hopefully you wont be so crass to the next group trying to help you.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Despite your attitude, I'm going to chime in with my 2 cents as well. After poring over the factory wiring diagrams for my 91 4Runner, it would appear that the starter relay is ONLY on a manual transmission. If you have the factory diagrams, I suggest you look closely at the wiring diagrams and look at the part that says "S7 (M/T)". It's necessary, since the manuals have a clutch start switch, where the auto only has an transmission position sensor.

Keep in mind that a Chiltons manual is only a generic manual and not as detailed as the factory ones.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Of you starter does not want to work, you will have to break down and remove it. I just did mine yesturday, i found out it was the contacts. i replced them and when i re-installed it, it did not work the first time. but every time since then it starts instantly. but the breather tube has broken off so i have to replace that one day soon too. or just wait for the 3.4L to be installed
Old 07-05-2008, 11:21 AM

Robd...I have downloaded the factory manual and Im not good at reading wiring diagrams,but...a lot of people are telling me the same as whet you have said. The automatics don't have a starter relay. Im gonna call stealership Monday morning and tell them this time,It's an automatic,just to see what he says then.
Deathcougar...My apologize. i thought most people on here got a good sense of humor. I've been mistaken. I never meant to show you any disrespect and I do appreciate your help. I just got blown aside,with frustration,when I responded to you last. Im sorry dude.
Onward...
Old 07-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Staff

No worries man. I appreciate that, and I can appreciate the frustration. We have all been there.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:59 AM

awww....

'cause you're good enough,
smart enough, and gosh darn it...
people like you.

*cue romantic music
... and ....
curtain drops.

...act II

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-05-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Staff

Shutup abe lest I smite thee from the depths of the CougarDen!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:01 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiipppppppppppppppp
Old 07-05-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the fuse box, left kick panel, you have a IGN fuse...IGN=IGNITION and it's 7.5 amp fuse. It's under the 10 amp ENGINE fuse and above the 15 amp TAIL fuse.

In the relay box, (R/B No.2), engine compartment, right, your STARTER RELAY is between your DIMMER RELAY and your main HEADLIGHT RELAY. It is directly under your HEAD (LH-LO,RH-LO) RELAY and HEAD (LH-HI,RH-HI) RELAY.

I took this from my Factory Shop Manuals. Verified on my 91 3.0 V6 automatic, and my buddies 90 3.0 V6 automatic. The 90 is a California 4Runner, my 91 is from here in Washington. The canadian 4runners are the same.

If you want pics of each exact location, I will post them. I don't think I can put it into any simpler layman's terms than that......

This is my posted answer in your other ignition relay post
Old 07-05-2008, 01:48 PM

The 7.5 amp ignition fuse feeds power to the coil side of the EFI main relay, not the starter relay, if he had one. The 15 amp EFI fuse feeds power to the switched side of the same relay. The neutral/park switch on the transmission on an automatic feeds power to the coil side of the Circuit Opening Relay, which in turn sends power to the fuel pump.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:50 PM

My 91 has a starter relay, which if memory serves, is mounted under the dash on the driver's side. I'd have to check when I'm home tomorrow. It's a 5 speed, though. I was told it's under the hood, as well, but not the case.

Now, if it's not starting all the time in park, try switching to neutral and see if that solves the problem. I'd check that as a possible culprit, if it's not a pooched starter, that is.

Last edited by RobD; 07-05-2008 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Where is the "starter / ignition relay"? Could use some gifted help here!