Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where to put seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Other than WOW, I'm almost at a loss as to how to respond to that.

Let me put it this way:

I've probably used 10-12 cans of the stuff "in the intake" of my 3VZE since I've owned it. I have always poured it straight into the PCV breather hose that feeds into the intake hose RIGHT IN FRONT of the throttle body/TPS. Been over 4 years and NEVER caused an issue with my TPS so...

They are a VERY reputable company. They've done their homework, and know how-what-where-why to/not to do with their products. For instance, they tell you NOT to use it on or near MAF sensors.

Just read and follow directions/instructions. Life is simple really.

RTFM!

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-26-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life is simple, and Seafoam is not a cure all.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i agree i use it with no problems. behind the tb can get real nasty with the egr
Old 04-27-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by diablo
I haven't seen anyone say it is a cure all. It can and does help many issues with rough running and really does work good at cleaning out the gunk and other crap inside the engine. Granted, it has the potential to cause other issues if used incorrectly. But still, no one has said it is a cure all.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:26 AM

It is too a cure all. My truck had 2 blown head gaskets and burned oil and after running seafoam it runs as good as the day it was new. This stuff is the best thing you can do.

(this is entirely sarcasm and only goes to prove a point. if you expect results that are above the method you need to take to fix the problem it will fail. Seafoam does exactly what it was designed to do and it does it very well.)
Old 04-27-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tlrskunk
It is too a cure all. My truck had 2 blown head gaskets and burned oil and after running seafoam it runs as good as the day it was new. This stuff is the best thing you can do.

(this is entirely sarcasm and only goes to prove a point. if you expect results that are above the method you need to take to fix the problem it will fail. Seafoam does exactly what it was designed to do and it does it very well.)

It's NOT a cure-all, gimmick, fad, snake oil, etc. In my experience too, it does precisely as advertised. Nothing more, nothing less.

Though I wonder how they've stayed in business selling the stuff for 80+ years. As harmful as it is for engines and all.
(there's some sarcasm back at ya!)
The Sea Foam® Story

Sea Foam® was actually developed for the outboard motor and marine market back in the 1930’s.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/the-sea-foam-story.html

Oh, one more thing, it's never fouled my spark plugs neither.

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-27-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MudHippy
Other than WOW, I'm almost at a loss as to how to respond to that.

Let me put it this way:

I've probably used 10-12 cans of the stuff "in the intake" of my 3VZE since I've owned it. I have always poured it straight into the PCV breather hose that feeds into the intake hose RIGHT IN FRONT of the throttle body/TPS. Been over 4 years and NEVER caused an issue with my TPS so...

They are a VERY reputable company. They've done their homework, and know how-what-where-why to/not to do with their products. For instance, they tell you NOT to use it on or near MAF sensors.

Just read and follow directions/instructions. Life is simple really.

RTFM!
I completely agree, I have done the same thing and had no problems, most auto manufactures have their own take on seafoam and do the same thing as a regular service with the other maintenance stuff, I never unplugged anything that I wasn't told to and with the hundreds of services I did, never had one return for fouled out plugs, bad sensors or anything of the sort.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:25 AM

Check your plugs after you put it in, mine were fouled after seafoam. So I would change my plugs after and only put it in the fuel tank not the vacum hoses. Its not a cure all.

Not trying to be a pest but how did you know it was the seafoam? I have never had any issue SeaFoaming and I have done this literally hundreds of times with literally dozens of vehicles with no issues other than pissed off neighbors lol. Just curious how you came to that conclusion because that worries me that they do not give a proper warning for it on the can or advertisements and if it's happening then they need to tell people.

Also I must mention that just because I use this product a lot (I mean seafoam has at least a thousand of my hard earned dollars) doesn't mean it is a good product but when farmers buy cases of this stuff and every person I know that has the slightest concern for their engine owns cans of it speaks loads about the effectiveness and quality of their product. As far as the propellant used in the Deep Creep damaging sensors seams plausible I haven't heard of this till now but who knows....

Anyways use as directed and I bet my rig on it that it will deliver what it promises as advertised.

Last edited by MID SIZED BOSS; 04-28-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:01 AM

No Way

Originally Posted by alil2cul4u
Ok, so now is another question. What is the proper way to do it with a vacuum line? Do I just slowly pour it in the vacuum line? Do i just dip the vacuum line in it?
ive seen and heard this asked so many times.. you dont dip the end of the hose into the fluid. use a shallow container and hold it right below the hose itll draw the seafoam into the motor all on its own... its also nice to dump about 1/3 of a can into your crank case... it helps with the noise our yotas are so famous for =p
Old 04-29-2011, 08:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i wouldnt pout it in the crank cxase unless you plan on changing your oil right after, and just dip it in the can in and out but not long enough to kill the motor until your ready to
Old 04-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

When I worked for Subaru, we put it in the crank case all the time to free up sticky HLA's and nothing bad ever happened.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
First, the only intelligent reason to put it in the oil is if there is a sludge problem, or in cases where coolant has gotten into the oil (the isopropyl alcohol will absorb & remove some of the water). In either case, it's not a great idea to run the motor with seafoam in it for a long time, since it contains isopropyl alcohol and naptha, an extremely volatile solvent. Neither are going to help lubricate moving parts; on the contrary, they will thin the oil and result in increased wear over time.

Second, running a true synthetic oil such as Amsoil or Red Line in the crankcase is a much safer and just as effective means of de-sludging a motor. Red Line, which is a group V ester, will in particular really clean out the crankcase.

Last edited by sb5walker; 04-29-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
i wouldnt pout it in the crank cxase unless you plan on changing your oil right after,
X2 When I did this to my 86 I poured about 1/4 can into the crank case and then got the rig to operating temp. Turned it off and changed the oil to Royal Purple synthetic. Haven't tried it on the 89 yet but then it's seen better maintenance than the 86 did before I got it.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

I should say that we didn't put seafoam in the crankcase of every car, it was only when people would complain about the lifter noise because of their lack of maintenance the HLA's couldn't pump up, we would do it as a quick fix for the customer that didn't want to spend any money, personally on my own car when it had the lifter noise, I changed the oil and put a quart of ATF in replacement of a quart of oil and it cleaned everything up nicely.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:23 PM

seafoam never did any noticeable good to any of my motors, but on the other hand... other than making my Pathfinder smoke for about a week I have had no ill affects from it either.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:08 AM

I did the whole Seafoam treatment on my '88 4Runner a couple of years ago at around 310,000 miles. First I ran a can of Seafoam through the gas tank, then added 7oz to my crankcase and ran the 4Runner for 200 miles before changing the oil, and lastly squirted it in front of the throttle body using Seafoam's little hook line while the engine was idling, let the engine sit for 30 minutes, then drove off.
I had 2 very positive improvements immediately following using the Seafoam. Prior to the treatment the engine had been burning close to 1 qt of oil/1000 miles, and for many years in the heat of the summer pinged terribly when under a load (typically going up a hill, especially when in a higher gear). Following the Seafoam treatment the engine only burns 1/2 qt of oil/1000 miles (may have had a stuck ring?) and it has not pinged once. I'm at 335,000 miles now and have seen no ill effects from the Seafoam. It did not improve my gas mileage.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:49 AM

I think the reason your oil consumption went down is because Seafaom, when added to the crankcase seems to cause rubber seals to swell up. The reason I suspect this is because after I added Seafaom to my crankcase and afterwards was changing my oil, it took me almost an hour to get my oil filter off. The rubber seal was unbelievably tight and since I only hand-tighten my oil filters, the thing would have ordinarily come right off.

Also, I have a bad rear main seal, and I stopped losing as much oil from that, for a while any way, after using the Seafoam. So I strongly suspect that something in that stuff causes rubber seals to swell.

I thought my truck ran better after using the stuff too, and I would use it again. My only warning would be to be careful around electronic parts when spraying Deep Creep into the throttle body. Maybe it'll damage 'em and maybe it won't, but just consider taking a second or two to unplug your TPS, unless you're OK with possibly paying $125 for a new one if it gets shorted out by an accidental blast of spray in the wrong place.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I added Seafoam to my laundry and now I don't get bit by so many mosquitos. Plus I seem to be getting laid more.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:01 PM