Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

where does the clicking in your 22RE seem to come from?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update:

I replaced my exhaust manifold gasket today, and it was leaking, could tell by looking at the old one.

But that didn't stop the ticking. Seems to be a cam/rocker/valve thing. Like I mentioned, the mechanic who adjusted my valves said that one lobe was worn... Damn, wish I could replace the cam without pulling the head.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:12 AM

Sorry to bring this thread back to the top again...

I just found this: http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Tech/Fixs.htm

Has anyone here ever run across a 22re that was suffering from this affliction? Any idea of what years it affected? Mine's a '94, wonder if they had it fixed by then.

Sorry, I'm just grasping at straws here, anything to keep from having to pull the cam and do the requisite head gasket too. I know the mechanic said it was just a worn lobe, but the sound has got me bothered...

The way it seems to be loudest (by far) coming from beneath the engine when the hood is shut.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you specifically listened to each injector? They can be quite loud...
Old 07-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Banned

theres a spacer that you can put on your rocker shaft that will help the lash adjusting screws stay lined up on top of the valves. this is a common problem and causes the lash adjustor to wear on the side of the screw and when adjusting it will cause problems because the screw surface isnt flat against the top of the valve. the screws are like 25 bux a set at the dealer, they also have the spacer but im not sure of the part number. also get an oil preassure gauge...... and check your timing chain guides...
Old 07-11-2006, 09:55 AM

i have this EXACT same problem in mine, same spot. i adjusted the rocker and nothing. im putting on a header next weekend so ill let you know if its the gasket. after that ill be putting in a DOA cam, so if not the header, maybe the cam. it is damn annoying tho huh lol

edit: just saw you changed the gasket, didnt see taht before!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 AM

I have the same annoying clicking noise..I thought it was from my header and I have tried like crazy to make it go away but no luck.

Hope you find the answer and post it back here..
Old 07-11-2006, 02:11 PM

Damn...

Ok, I just pullled the valve cover, and it does indeed have those spacers, so the problem isn't happening there.

I did my redneck stethascope (long bar to ear) on the injectors and valve cover, and it sure sounds like the loudest noise, most consistent with what I'm hearing under the truck (and all over it) is coming from the valve cover at #3. The injectors were audible with my RS, but didn't match "the tick". My inexperienced eye couldn't see the wear on the cam lobe the mechanic was talking about, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. I didn't turn it for a full rotation, either, I was mainly looking for those spacer rings.

So, at this point everything is (if I listen to the mechanic) still pointing to the cam... But I'm still dying to know why the sound is loudest from beneath the vehicle!!
Old 07-15-2006, 05:19 AM

one more thing you might want to check.....someone on here had mentioned a broken valve spring. give that a whirl
Old 08-09-2006, 02:14 PM

update:

I did the head, headgasket, etc... The head went to an actual machine shop to get get worked over, and got the new engnbldr 268 cam as well. The valves were adjusted to the specs prescribed by engnbldr, and the valve train is definitely quieter.

But there is still that tapping. That damned, infernal, tapping.

It actually seems to be louder right at startup sometimes, like there is a "whack whack whack" for a few seconds after startup, then it quiets down into the regular taptaptaptap that has always been...

On the plus side, the engnblder cam has definitely improved the flat spot on the powerband, so big improvement there. Also, my head gasket was definitely blown, on two cylinders, both blowing into the exhaust, so it's a good thing I tore it down anyway.

But I still wish that taptaptaptap was gone.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:04 AM

I feel your frustration. I have the same problem. If I open my throttle just a hair with my hand I can get it to rattle consistanly but once I go by that spot it goes away. Also If I rev it up then as the revs come back down just before idle I get the rattle then it is intermitent at idle. I re-adjusted my TPS and timing but no luck. It sounds like a detination knock. I am worried it might be a bearing or rings broken causing a piston slap condition. It runs great but sounds sick.
Also when the air injector opens into the exhaust the tick is very hollow sounding like a diesel but once the valve closes it gets quieter.............................

Last edited by Flash319; 08-10-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the tick too, i had my valves adj. but my mech seems to think it is the timing chain slapping around
Old 08-10-2006, 12:10 PM

I have new chain and guides and I have adjusted the valves a few times now but I am pretty sure this sound is not the valves.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:55 PM

check for a hole where the oxygen sensor mounts before the cat. Just an idea, because air can leak from there.