Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Whats more reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like my xtracab V6. Wouldn't bother with a regular cab. I like the storage space and potential to seat another passenger in the back if needed plus I think the xtracabs look better.

But it really comes down in this case to maintenance history. If you're fine with the power of either motor and the cab configuration, then I'd go with the one with the best maintenance history and service records if they are available.

The 22RE and 3vze both have their noted weakpoints. So I don't think reliablity of one over the others is really an issue. Everyone in here will tell you the 3vze has HG problems, but the 22RE blows the odd headgasket and it's timing chain design leaves a bit to be desired.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the 22re as everyone has stated is a bulletproof engine and it should last. the 3.0, other than the hg issues is pretty reilable too, while i have never had one there are plenty of people with well over 200k on their 3.0s. but personally i like extra cab over regular cab, that extra little space is nice for putting things, like a subwoofer or whatever, without killing your leg space.but the gas milage will be better on the 22re and that truck does look really nice
Old 11-15-2007, 09:19 PM

22res are pretty much bombproof if you maintain them and even if you dont they will still last a long time (like mine). I think you should be safe with the 91 though because i think the HGs problems were only on the 92+ trucks i could be wrong though. Remember though that the 22re will always be cheaper to maintain and service as its smaller and is easier to rebuilt, better gas milage etc. and they have a lot of potential for upgrading
Old 11-16-2007, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can spend a LOT of money on a 22RE and still not have the low end torque & power of the 3vze. You also don't get the best manual transmission Toyota has ever put in a truck behind a 22RE, but you do get it with the 3vze.

I would hardly call them headgasket "problems." Lots of people have never had any issues with their 3vze.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
one thing (more) must be noted.

take a look inside the oil filler cap, if you see black, or deep brown/tar- resin, walk away.
black means the engine was cooked, or not properly cooled in its life.

you should see a golden light/brown color, and some clean metal too.

i own both a 86 22r and a 88 3.0.
gotta say, i love the 3.0 and yet the 22r is still peppy (i can leave 4 black rubber tracks if i peel out in 4x4 on it).
22r is carburated and that is very easy to maintain, and it will keep running even after a nuclear winter

but what i like better on the 3.0 is the driveability, the lower revs and on freeways i can not hear the engine revs as much as the 22r. lower revs and more power is always preferred.

regular maintenance on any engine will give it longevity, and your asking what is better is really just all opinion.

the 22r is the small block of the Japan-nation
the 3.0 is engineered by the same team. only newer and more powerful.

the mileage should not be your concern as the difference can be offset by your driving habits. but the maintenance is.
2 more spark plugs, wires.
more electronics.

besides, by the time you blow either motor, we will all be pitching sails from our trucks for wind power, or having to glue solar panels on the roof and hood.

buy the one you really feel comfortable with, and if you find a better one, sell it, and buy another one. (im on my 3rd w/the 3.0)
1.st was a 2x longbed. (loved that truck but it smelled like )
2cnd is the 4X extra cab (will be for sale very soon)
3rd is the 3.0 4x, extra cab (will post pix soon)
Old 11-16-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eric-the-red
What's better, apples or oranges. Your buying 10-15 year old vehicles with limited history, both are a gamble. But I'd probably go with the 94 as well.

^X2

I think that you would find that there are not many vehicles with the reliability record of a 22RE, They are about as bullet proof as anything can be.

That said, eric-the-red is right about not knowing the history of a given vehicle.

I've seen 22REs with over 400K and still going strong, and I've seen them throw a rod at 25K because nobody ever even opened the hood to check the oil, let alone change it.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:24 PM

If I had the chance to go back and re-decide weather I would put in a 4 banger or a V6 in my truck I would change what I did and go with the 4 banger.
The V6 is just too hard on the wallet.....plus that 4 cylinder looks sweet!!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
You can spend a LOT of money on a 22RE and still not have the low end torque & power of the 3vze. You also don't get the best manual transmission Toyota has ever put in a truck behind a 22RE, but you do get it with the 3vze.

I would hardly call them headgasket "problems." Lots of people have never had any issues with their 3vze.

yeah out of the three trucks i know with 3.0s none have had HGS problem (actually one but it was cus it was beat to crap). But the fact is that much less people have had problems with their headgaskets with 22rs (and i mean much less) and the engines are not as durable as the 4bangers. Also there is much more aftermarket for the 22res then for the 3.0s.

Edit: the 3 trucks were all 89s BTW