Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weird intermittent noise.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird intermittent noise.

1988 x-cab v6.

So a couple days ago I was driving normal highway speeds, 55-60, when I started getting a loud low frequency noise. So I pulled over in a parking lot and did some checks. Couldn't see anything leaking.

The weird thing was, before I slowed down and pulled over, I hit bump and it went away. This seems to be the routine since then. Hitting bumps may set it off, and hitting bumps again, silences it.

In my area theres been storms, so I run in 4 high a lot. Doesn't seem to do it then. When the roads aren't crappy i run in 2 high but still keeping the hubs locked in, just in case, and this is when it happens.

Here's a couple vid's I hope can describe it.

This one is where the sound goes away when hitting a bump.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6by099s77q..._0327.MOV?dl=0

This is just the constant noise.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hregl3fwoc..._0328.MOV?dl=0

My suspect I'm thinking is possibly a wheel bearing? Having never had a failed wheel bearing it's all just best guess to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE:
Ok yesterday was crappy weather, ran it in 4 high, and can confirm that as of right now it is NOT making the noise.

Last edited by ChrisOSX; 02-10-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:29 AM

UPDATE:

Ok, the weather cleared up a bit, so I decided to unlock the hubs and drive like normal summer driving. No noise.

Logic speaking, if it was in fact a wheel bearing, it would make noise no matter what position I'm driving in.

From what I've been researching, it's the spindle bushing? Could possibly just need to be lubed up. Not going to happen soon as the weather is cold and I have no garage

I do however have a good mechanic I'm taking it to for some other stuff next week, so I'll keep everybody updated on the situation.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:03 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
you shouldn't be in 4x4 mode at all unless you're in the dirt or possibly snow. 4x4 doesn't do much for rain unless your driving style is a bit... overzealous. I believe some damage can occur to the drivetrain if you ran it in 4x4 on pavement for a while. Others can chime in, some know a lot more about this stuff.

For my own experience, after I did a Balljoint spacer lift (1.5 inches) there was a slight vibration in the front end at above 70mph. But, after installing the manual hubs and keeping them unlocked, no problems. Do you have a lift?
Old 02-12-2015, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gevo
you shouldn't be in 4x4 mode at all unless you're in the dirt or possibly snow. 4x4 doesn't do much for rain unless your driving style is a bit... overzealous. I believe some damage can occur to the drivetrain if you ran it in 4x4 on pavement for a while. Others can chime in, some know a lot more about this stuff.

For my own experience, after I did a Balljoint spacer lift (1.5 inches) there was a slight vibration in the front end at above 70mph. But, after installing the manual hubs and keeping them unlocked, no problems. Do you have a lift?
Totally agree. I'm only in 4x4 when the roads are crappy(rain excluded). I do keep the hubs locked in during spells in case the weather changes quick. If it doesn't I unlock them.

I do have a lift, but its a moderate 3" body lift that was installed before I got the truck. As far as I know nothing changed with angles for anything.

This issued only started to happen give or take a week now. It only happened in 4 High once.

I'm thinking it just needs lube, but I wanted to get some opinions from you more experienced yota owners.

Last edited by dropzone; 02-17-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:20 PM

Is the noise on one particular side? And does it sound like something is rattling around when you are turning, say in a parking lot?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by brooksy7s21
Is the noise on one particular side? And does it sound like something is rattling around when you are turning, say in a parking lot?
Doesn't sound like it's coming from one particular side. And it only makes the sound mainly at highway speeds.

Since unlocking the hubs, I have had no noise at all, which leads me to believe the spindle bushing and hub is in need of grease. Taking it in today n see what my mechanic says.

Ill keep this updated.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:37 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your front diff oil too. When your hubs are locked, both the front axles and the front diff rotate when driving as well... I don't know for certain if the front portion of the driveshaft rotates or not, but I think not...

First guess is axle boots and lost grease. If those are good then perhaps front diff or drivetrain.