Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Wait, that ISNT suppose to bend that way?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 04:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
damn, oh well these may have helped?

i cant wait to get my tg rear bumper.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:03 PM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

On their website they state that they are for the 84-89 models only.

i have a 94 runner, and seeing that they are only for 84-89, i did not think anything of that.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Bummer that happened but if you don't have the bumper braced from the sides then you are fooling yourself if you think 4 bolts and some plate are going to take the full weight of the vehicle. Every rear bumper I have ever put on any vehicle that wasn't just for looks had side braces welded/bolted to the frame. Just because TG doesn't sell braces for the bumper doesn't mean you shouldn't have added them.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't mean to hijack or anything but.....Looking at my Smittybilt rear bumper with a 5/16" thick bracket makes me kinda fearful. Specially since I need to weld more steel onto it to raise it the 3"s needed for my BL.

Is there any way to reinforce the bracket so the same thing doesn't happen to my bumper?

*EDIT* Waskilly posted before I could refresh and see his idea. Do you have any pics of how you do that to reinforce the rear?

Last edited by DethYota; 10-25-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Banned

Thats what happens when you shop cheap chinese crap

Seriously, I have a Marlin Crawler bumper, of essentially the same design in the way it mounts up, and I have slammed my rear bumper into some , and it is still straight as an arrow.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 187proof
Thats what happens when you shop cheap chinese crap

Seriously, I have a Marlin Crawler bumper, of essentially the same design in the way it mounts up, and I have slammed my rear bumper into some , and it is still straight as an arrow.
No, that is what happens when you expect a bolt on (4) bolt bumper to hold up the weight of your vehicle plus a side impact.

85 rear bumper and and 94 rear bumper are not the same.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
No, that is what happens when you expect a bolt on (4) bolt bumper to hold up the weight of your vehicle plus a side impact.

85 rear bumper and and 94 rear bumper are not the same.

For someone that is new to wheeling in general. I dont find this very helpful (or the bashing of companys, 187proof).

I was not informed about reinforcing the sides of this bumper until it was already on and i was planning on going out the next day. I was never told prior to that about reinforcing it. I figured that a company that sells armor for our vehicles would go through the paces to make sure it was the best it possibly is to do its job, and i find that this did not.

Had i seen that the side supports could fit on my year runner, i would have bought them, i do find it peculiar that they do not come standard on the 84-89 (as that is the year the supports are for).

Wabbit, i am aware you are a dealer for TG, but i find this product did not hold up to the expectations made for it which as you state, are that the 4 bolts that i was told to use to install this bumper would hold up to what i believed it would - a rotted stump. Why there are no side support kits for this year is quite interesting, and why no mention of reinforcing it as well.

Although the bumper did fail in a few ways, it did protect the majority of the area from the damage that would have been caused had it not been there. I am dissapointed, but i do not want to have a compitetion of companys going on. Use this thread to educate yourselves. Reinforce the sides of your bumpers if you dont. And be weary of your brackets.

Matt
Old 10-25-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the side supports should be included or at least recommend by TG if they are not already. I hope TG steps up at sells you another bracket ( I tried to get a two brackets (no bumper) once and they wouldn't sell the brackets alone).
Old 10-25-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
I think the side supports should be included or at least recommend by TG if they are not already. I hope TG steps up at sells you another bracket ( I tried to get a two brackets (no bumper) once and they wouldn't sell the brackets alone).
I would truly appreciate it if they were to do that. Except it is all one solid piece of metal. all welded. only bolts used are what you use to bolt it to the frame.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

I would definitely contact TG with an explanation of your situation, at least to see if they will work with you on a replacement. Provide pictures if necessary, and speak to them courteously. I've heard good things about their customer service previously, and it's worth a try to get a replacement. Make sure they address the lack of side supports on the new bumper.

On another note, I never liked the fact that some of their bumpers require the customer to add/purchase extra brackets for the bumper. Their design could have been easily modified to avoid this problem. My $0.02.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:01 PM

I did basically the same thing to my rear bumper, came down hard on a big rock and pushed my bumper right up into my tailgate. Tried very hard to straighten it out with a sledge hammer but just never have been able to get the bolt holes to line up with the frame...
Old 10-25-2009, 09:28 PM

Weld bumpers to frame. end of story.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ fail..

bolts will hold up, if the brackets that they are holding are designed properly.

@ the op, what are the thickness of those brackets?
Old 10-26-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
it was my understanding that all those similar tube bumpers - TG, MC, and Addicted - are strongly recommended to be welded in conjunction with bolts. the welds are added to keep your bumper leveled whenever it hits something like you did. as for the side shift, there shoulda been arms to tie the sides into the frame - it's weird that they don't offer it. i don't see why the arms pictured before wouldn't work even though they're designed for an older 4runner. you musta hit that side pretty damn hard to bend that thing.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I contemplated getting a TG or MC rear bumper. After some research I tore the bed off and put on a flatbed!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Too bad dude, the bumper looked cool though. Call TG see if they will warranty it.

That Badlands front bumper is nice, but pricey.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Why the hell is there no side supports!!! That bumper will just do more damage than good

And for the record, my MC rear bumper has stood up to many mud recoverys, towing fullsize trucks down the road, flipping junk cars over, mild bumper car action with said junk cars..

Only problem I had was the bumper rotating up about 1" under full weight of the truck and denting a small portion of my bed (where you trim to clear the mounts), this was prevented by tighting the bolts up. I will eventually run some small welds to keep it snug..

Last edited by Jay351; 10-26-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not trying to be an a$$ but just checked TG's website and here are the supports for the bumper "Optional Rear Bumper to Frame Support Kit for 84-95 4Runner, $39, 120112-1-K"

I agree with malteserunner that they really should be included with the price of the bumper to stop something like this from happening.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Honestly, i can't see those side supports helping at all in this situation.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bxlt
Not trying to be an a$$ but just checked TG's website and here are the supports for the bumper "Optional Rear Bumper to Frame Support Kit for 84-95 4Runner, $39, 120112-1-K"

Trail Gear changed their website last night. The optional support kit was listed for 84 to 89 like the poster stated.
Anyways, Birdbrain you got the Badlands sticker on the back of your truck you might as well get the rear bumper to.

Quick Reply: Wait, that ISNT suppose to bend that way?