Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

V8 MPG with 22re Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Do you know where the coolant temp sensor is? If not, there's two sensors on the front of the motor.....more toward the pass side. The one on your right is the coolant sensor.....(not switch or sending unit). To test it, put in a pot of water and place the two probes of a DMM on either terminals. The resistance reading should be high as the water is cold, but then gradually lower as you heat the water.

You could test it on the vehicle if you figure out how to do it without pulling the connector. Pulling it, though, would cause the truck to run VERY poorly while waiting for it to warm up. So, I'd use the pot of water. It's easy enough.

Other thing....if the sensor has a lot of deposits on it, they can lose some of their sensitivity to temp changes. I've been able to clean coolant sensors and switches with good results. But, if it's simply gone bad, nothing will help and the truck just won't idle well and lack power. Oh.....and run quite rich.
Yes, I do know about the two sensors. The one on the right like you said, is for the coolant temp, and the other is for cold start isn't it? Anyway, thank you for telling me how to check it. I finially got the damn FSM to open up, but my FREAKING dial up got the best of me and I gave up trying to find the answer to me question of how the test the CTS. I live in rural CA, and can't get anything better yet.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Though I must ask, does a bad cts always cause a poor idle? Because I don't have any problems like rough idle whether cold or hot. Just curious if you knew or not. Because the biggest problem with diagnosing this truck properly is that it idles smoothly, runs smoothly when driving it, no obvious signs besides poor mileage, lack of power (which I probably wouldn't even know about if I hadn't had this set up for so long), and the burning rich.