86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

uninstall 4" lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uninstall 4" lift

Hello, I need to take a 4" Trailmaster lift off of my truck before I appear in court in a few weeks (only 2" allowed lift in MA according to the state trooper that pulled me over this weekend ) so I was wondering if there was anything I needed from Toyota besides stock front spindles and probably A-arms. I cannot wait to get out of this state...
Old 04-07-2008, 08:02 AM
WFO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man that sucks. Id be finding out for sure about that law. And then im not sure Id even take the lift out then.

Cant help you with what all you will need.

I say keep it on though.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:18 AM

Wow thats a crappy law if it is true, i would contact somebody else at the State Police and inquire. We need more info on what vehicle this lift is on to help ya uninstall it if you have to
Old 04-07-2008, 08:26 AM

My trailmaster you use all the stock stuff when u install the lift. You just have to take out the bracket. sometimes there is one third member bracket on the very front that you have to chop out so that is what i would be worried about.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 AM

would you want to seel it
Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, your laws there suck...

Sounds like you have the right idea, but there could be other parts that were modified as well depending on how they installed the lift.

As an alternate idea, you could always put on 28" tires (or 31" tires if they were stock or if you could make them think they were stock) and leave the lift the way it is and probably pass the inspection if the above is correct. I got that info from www.roughcountry.com...

Then you can just put your tires back on and try to not get caught next time.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:26 AM

Btw your A arms (LCA's) are going to be fine. You just need to take out all of the drop brackets and tabs (including front diff brackets) and raise everything back up.

Take a look at the Trailmaster web site and find a pic of the lift. That would show you all of the stuff that needs to go.

You will probably need some shorter bolts to replace some of the longer ones you remove.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:34 AM

yea grab a used set of 235-75-15 for ins.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 AM

Here's a link to Trailmaster's site
http://www.trailmastersuspension.com...oyota/TP49.gif
I am guessing this is the lift in question
http://www.trailmastersuspension.com...ns/TP49_50.pdf
Installation Instructions
Ovrrdrive is correct the only part that usually gets cut during the install is the Mounting for the Front Cross member where it bolts up to the Lower A Arm frame mount. Right hand side only where the differential would hit it when lowing it 4 inches to reach the new mounting location. You would have to re-weld on that piece or a piece like it to put it back to exactly like stock. If you download the manual the cut is on page 3, Figure 2B, the cut is explained in step 3.. and boy do these instructions suck Good luck hope this helps
Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Banned

I'd give you 100$ for that lift.....
Old 04-07-2008, 11:39 AM

Wait do you live in NY or Mass? If you live in NY and got a ticket in Mass I do not know how it could hold water due to the fact you have to go by NY laws.

James
Old 04-07-2008, 01:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man that is going to be a load of work. They are a pita to install and get to turn all the same hardware going the ither direction.

Seriously, this is one case where I'd find someone selling stock small wheels, lower the a-arms as far as possbile, like sitting on the bumpstops, take a leaf or two out of the pack, and see if it makes it. Actually, you might make it just adjusting the suspension down and pulling a leaf. Then, put it back. That's about 20% as much work as removing the lift.

Or, just pay the fine. Do you know what amount it is? Can you just do that? If it's $200 for the fine and more than that to correct the height, shoot pay the fine.

Frank
Old 04-07-2008, 03:36 PM

The fine isn't my worst but it's not worth paying, and the ticket is legit because right now I'm a student in Troy, NY (last month here, thank god) but my permanent residence is in western MA. I have a set of stock-ish tires I used to use for winter use to spare the BFG's some wear. I was thinking of putting a long travel suspension in the front with some deaver's in the back, but the truck has a year or so of daily driving ahead of it before i finish my 72 Nova so this will save some $$ on gas at least and it'll be more prepped for the long travel this way too. the truck in question is a 1989 Pickup so i'll snag some spare steering knuckles from a junk yard since they're 317/ea new, I actually already had 4 stock-length shocks ready to go, and have at it. I'll put up pics afterwards for those curious.
Trustyrusty and dirtpup, I'll get some pictures of it up when I take it off, it has some rust on it since it's a new england truck and then if someone wants it we'll talk.

Thanks for the responses guys/ladies, much appreciated
Old 04-07-2008, 03:49 PM

I have a set here in Florida that I took off my '95... Not sure if it would be worth it to ship them though. If you want them let me know what they're worth to you.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:38 PM

Just a FYI for those who read this thread for info. Taking off a bracket lift is pretty straight forward. All you need is the stock steering arms (junkyard or wherever), and probably new shocks, balljoints and tie rods if needed. Besides that all the stock components are there, so its just a matter of unbolting stuff off.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by cr@ves4wheelin; 02-22-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
seems like you could loosen the t-bars enough to drop it two inches take a leaf or two out of the rear pack to get it down enough to pass inspection. if 2 inches are allowed you only need to get it dropped 2 inches.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ezrider_92356
seems like you could loosen the t-bars enough to drop it two inches take a leaf or two out of the rear pack to get it down enough to pass inspection. if 2 inches are allowed you only need to get it dropped 2 inches.
Would probably be the easiest choice along with running smaller tires
Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 PM

how did it ever go in court?
Old 02-11-2012, 07:47 AM

I live in WMA too, and the state's laws are bull! My friend's mom bought a Tacoma and the inspection station gave her grief because it had a two inch body lift and stock tires, yet my other friend's 75 Chevy with 35's and a four inch lift passes with no trouble at all. My 89 was at stock ride height and the guy barely passed me because my 32x11.5's stuck out of the wheel wells an inch.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:19 AM

I want to see pics of this truck and it's current lift, but parked on top of a MA police cruiser.

My state has some pretty screwy laws too, mainly window tint and license plate surrounds.

Can you convince the judge you need this lift to get in the woods for fire-wood to heat our house or some other valid reasoning? (was it lifted when you bought it in MA? It passed inspection then but will not now scenario).

Quick Reply: uninstall 4" lift