Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

turbo question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turbo question

hello,

I have a 1987 pickup 2.4 non turbo. I was wanting to know where I can get a turbo for it on the net and everything I need that goes along with it. I'm friends with a toyota certified mechanic who will install it for me if I can get one. I have a brand new remanufactured engine that he installed that runs great. Also what kind of exaust system do you guys recommend as far as headers, mufflers, cats. I don't want anything thats too loud just some extra power. Thanks for the help.

jdw
Old 08-17-2007, 08:21 AM

thanks for all the replies

jdw
Old 08-17-2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jdw1
hello,

I have a 1987 pickup 2.4 non turbo. I was wanting to know where I can get a turbo for it on the net and everything I need that goes along with it. I'm friends with a toyota certified mechanic who will install it for me if I can get one. I have a brand new remanufactured engine that he installed that runs great. Also what kind of exaust system do you guys recommend as far as headers, mufflers, cats. I don't want anything thats too loud just some extra power. Thanks for the help.

jdw
Define "everything that goes along with it".
To the best of my knowledge, LC engineering has the closest thing to a bolt on turbo kit - but they're going to charge you like it's made out of gold.
They get some ridiculous sum of money for the manifold ($700+) and mark up and otherwise stock and easily available Garrett turbo.

I'm not sure that a true bolt on kit exists for anything under $3k.

Even at $3k, you won't be able to do a whole lot with it 5psi, which is what you need to stick to on a stock motor.

You'd be best served to install most of it yourself with some help from you buddy.. A 5psi turbo system really is pretty bolt on.
You need:
1) A manifold. (I've got a turbonetics manfold forsale at about 60% of retail, btw). Manfolds run from about $275 (ebay) to $800 LCEngineering. There are different manifolds in the middle of that price range.
2) A turbo. For a stock motor, a mid sized Garrett T3 works great and can be had for $450-$600.
3) Oil lines. You can litterally make these yourself with some lines and fittings from Jegs. You can either "T" off of your existing oil pressure sender or use the spare port that's behind your passenger side motor mount. This is the oil feed to the turbo.
4) Oil drain. You can drill your block in the right spot and install a 1/2 NPT drain fitting or weld a drain fitting (L-shape) in the top of your oil pan. Any fabrication and welding shop can do this for you. Just make sure that your fitting accepts 1/2 hose. Use hose designed for oil.
5) Intake plumbing from the turbo compressor to the throttle body.
Sounds difficult, doesn't it, but it's pretty easy to do with a 2" diameter U-bend, one 90 degree bend, and 2.5 feet of straight pipe. You need a silicone adapter that goes from 2" to the size of your throttle body outside diameter.
You can source all these parts online and if you have a hacksaw, litterally build the plumbing yourself.

6) A downpipe from the turbo. You'll need to buy a 5 bolt outlet for most Garrett turbos and most exhaust shops could hook you up.

Turbo trucks - there is no limit on mufflers or exhaust size because the turbo provides all the back pressure. Anything between 2.25" and 3" would be fine.

If you need help, email me directly and I can probably get you setup.
d_ginther@hotmail.com
Old 08-17-2007, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first thing i would do is install a fuel system and engine management capable of supporting the turbo kit. get the motor running well NA then add all the turbo components afterwards. lot of info available at the site posted above http://22returbo.net/megasquirt.htm