Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission cooler mounted behind grill (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by snap-on
I did the same thing... T fitting in the rubber line comming FROM the tranny (before it hits the cooler) NOTE: youll need to ground your fitting for the sender to work right, i soldered a wire to the brass fitting i used. I plumbed my cooler after the radator for addtional temp drop.

I used Autometer Ultra-lite gauges. VERY nice gauges.

Ill post a pic of my setup.
Did your sender have one wire or two? My Isspro sender has 2 wires so I'm thinking it has a ground already but I could be wrong. I may call just to be sure, they have great customer service at Isspro BTW real people answer the phone and everything They are in Portland, Oregon http://www.isspro.com/about.php
Old 07-07-2006, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Yep, just called Isspro and got an answer from tech support in 30 seconds, 2 wires on their sender and one is ground so no need for another ground on the brass fittings.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:45 AM

the senders i got with the autometer gauges were single wire. so you need a ground

and i posted pics of mine btw
Old 07-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has the wire going from the sender to the gauge and then from the gauge, one to power and one to ground. Do I still need to ground the fitting?
If so, here is a pic of my sender, can I just add the ground to the top of the sender, or does it need to be the actual t-fitting?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-07-2006, 01:04 PM

thats the exact style sender i have on mine

before i redid my setup (after my engine rebuild) i just had a large aligator clip clipped on the hex portion of the sender.

For a more permant version i soldered a wire to the brass T houseing i have which then grounds through the threads.

remembe tradationally that sender would be bolted into a metal block or pan or something that it would get ground from.

I screwed that sender directly into the block coolant drain plug on the pass side for my water temp. 1 wire only required for that install.

Last edited by snap-on; 07-07-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, bad news for me. I am having over heating issues. A caveat -- my situation may very well not be typical for anyone wanting to mount it in this location, but I want to post up the results from my experience, anyways.

I took the Epic Mobile for the first extended drive (just around town in traffic) since the install. I am having other engine problems, and the over heating has been chronic with my vehicle. The temps in my engine bay from the headers are just off the chart, and the little bit of air flow restriction to the radiator that this mounting location creates may not be the source of the problem, but it certainly isn't helping. So -- I'm going to relocate it and mount an additional electric fan in that space instead.

Should be good fun.

Ed
Old 07-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Epic Ed
I took the Epic Mobile for the first extended drive (just around town in traffic) since the install. I am having other engine problems, and the over heating has been chronic with my vehicle. The temps in my engine bay from the headers are just off the chart, and the little bit of air flow restriction to the radiator that this mounting location creates may not be the source of the problem, but it certainly isn't helping. So -- I'm going to relocate it and mount an additional electric fan in that space instead.
Ed, that's a bummer. I saw somewhere where a guy made a hood vent from some stuff at home depot. I don't know if that was on this forum or something I came across somewhere else. I think he used a louvered vent that you would put on a door or something. Also, judging by your avatar, it looks like your aux. lights are blocking much of your grill. It's hard to tell by the small pic, but it was just something I thought of.

I saw one of those coolers with the attached fan in the new performance products catalog. You could always use one of those and attach the cooler wherever you want, and have the room to put that fan in front of your radiator. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out

Chris
Old 07-23-2006, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by slosurfer
I saw one of those coolers with the attached fan in the new performance products catalog. You could always use one of those and attach the cooler wherever you want...

Chris
I just saw those too, they look sweet! Someone get one and try it.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I finally got my tranny temp gauge installed. Pics later today. Does anyone know what the operating temp is supposed to be for these trannys?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I finally got my tranny temp gauge installed. Pics later today. Does anyone know what the operating temp is supposed to be for these trannys?
Hope you can read this chart it's from this Amsoil page: http://www.performancemotoroil.com/t...ion_fluid.html
Attached Thumbnails Transmission cooler mounted behind grill (pics)-life.jpg  

Last edited by mt_goat; 08-09-2006 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

I just mounted a new Hayden trans cooler...my old one would not fit after my axle swap...it was behind my IFS skidplate

I want a trans temp guage and was thinking about running this Perma-cool setup..also has a spin on filter, and for $80.00 seems like a good setup

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5&autoview=sku
Old 08-09-2006, 08:10 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
How did you mount your gauge?

I mounted it on the shift console with a universal $20 mount from Pepboys. When it gets cooler in 2 months, I will install the tranny cooler. Right now it slowly works its way up and past 180 degrees driving around town....on the highway at 75mph it stays at 170. The precision is un-matchable....minor increments are every 2.5 degrees on the faceplate.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's basically where mine is too.

My temp fluctuates from about 180 at freeway speeds up to 220 on steep grades or bumper to bumper traffic on hot days. I can easily get it up to and probably past 250 if I tried. I've learned how to keep it cool by turning off the OD on steep grades. When you turn off the OD I think the torque converter locks up so it cools down pretty quick.

My tranny getting pretty old so it's probably not normal.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ZUK
I already have my XM roady mounted right there, and it looked funny with both sitting there. I bought a mounting cup from <96Runner> and mounted it on the steering column.

mt.goat, thanks for the chart. I think I will make a small copy of that to keep in my glovebox. Everyone else thanks for the replies and I will post up once I get to drive around for awhile. thanks,
Chris
Old 08-09-2006, 03:46 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Robinhood150
That's basically where mine is too.

My temp fluctuates from about 180 at freeway speeds up to 220 on steep grades or bumper to bumper traffic on hot days. I can easily get it up to and probably past 250 if I tried. I've learned how to keep it cool by turning off the OD on steep grades. When you turn off the OD I think the torque converter locks up so it cools down pretty quick.

My tranny getting pretty old so it's probably not normal.
wow Steve....that seems a little hotter than it should be(220). Wonder if a new radiator would help you. Does your engine temp also creep up? If it does then I think it does need a radiator or it's clogged up with bugs..
Old 08-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Woops, didn't see your reply zuk.

Yeah, I do think something is wrong with the tranny since the engine nor tranny used to overheat when it was new. Over the years the engine has been starting to overheat on extreme hot days on long steep grades and the tranny will do the same sometimes too. The radiator was replaced a few years back as a possible remedy and it didn't seem to help. I have an auxilliary tranny cooler too.