Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Toasted Clutch & Muddin!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toasted Clutch & Muddin!

Went muddin tonight with my buddy Jake and toasted my clutch, any way I can adjust it to get my by for a week or so? I need to get to work and whatnot, It only slips under hard acceleration now.. I burned it pretty bad getting myself unstuck, seeings as we went out alone (REAL SMART!) A few cuss words, a pay day candy bar, and half a dozen redline clutch dumps in 4LOW got me out.. But I roasted the clutch pretty bad, heres some pictures and videos, prolly not work safe, cause we're pottymouths.. Haha Oh and theres a video of a rock ledge I did last month at my local ORV park... Any ideas on what to do? I'm gettin marlins 200$ 1600LB. Clutch set next week.. Any pointers on the install?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzsQj30GA-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPPAbWmD60A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHCMbWnhfrw

Yeah I painted the truck since that ledge video... Flat Black.. 30$ a gallon for industrial enamel incase you didn't see my other thread..

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...stStuck004.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...stStuck003.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...stStuck002.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...stStuck001.jpg

Last edited by Trustyrusty; 10-16-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Banned

Anyone wanna help me on my ultra FAIL quest?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

If I recall right, there's no way to adjust the clutch.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
not if she's hydraulic...

mechanical clutches with cables you can play with a little...

you can adjust the pedal, but that doesn't help you in the clutch area...

when the clutch goes, it goes

I thought I toasted my clutch last new-years day when I was running some 33x12.5 Boggers... trying to pull out of a mud hole, I feathered the clutch a little with my right foot planted firmly on the gas, and in the end I was bouncing off the rev-limiter in 1st gear 4low with no tires spinning got the wanderful burning clutch smell... so I just sat in the hole for about 5 minutes, then tried again... it grabbed like all hell and I launched out of the hole! this was almost a year ago now and I've had no lasting effects, knock on wood...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 10-15-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Dude.... second video! I was laughing my ASS off at your buddy :

Them mud terrains are nice arent they

Last edited by Jay351; 10-15-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you 2 guys think that stuff is bad..(of course i wasnt there in person) then the stuff i go through is HORRIBLE!!!! the mud i go muddin in is oklahoma red clay...its VERY STICKY and when it rains it gets extremely deep..i've ran through MUD (not muddy water) up to the top of my tires. .course i got swampers..u just got M/T's..i kinda roasted my clutch one night too..i slid into some ruts made by some 38's..wasnt pleasent. .luckily they were unsually skinny 38's..i just kept turnin the wheels back and forth and kept makin some 3000rpm 4hi launches and just scooted forward about 6 inches every time...all the while draggin my rear axle..t-case crossmember and the front end..lol..my little swampers havent let me down yet..my next set are gonna be 34x10.50's i think..was going to opt for the 33x13.50's..but..10.50's would be better highway wise..cuz i drive to all the trails around here...so 3.5" lift in the front...4" in the rear..4.88's and maybe a lockrite in the rear with the 34's and i'll be golden..lol...i believe im due for a clutch though as of right now..mine slips every now and then..lol..muddin takes a toll on the pocketbook..
Old 10-15-2008, 10:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
Dude.... second video! I was laughing my ASS off at your buddy :

Them mud terrains are nice arent they
That kid needs to grow up. I can't stand people like that.

Agreed, no clutch adjustments possible, nor are they meant to be adjustable. There is a possibility you overheated the clutch which makes it less willing to grab, and the stock clutch isn't grabby to start with. Good chance that you fried it and need a new one though.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
thus being the reason why i am against mudding, just tears a stocker up
Old 10-15-2008, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
thus being the reason why i am against mudding, just tears a stocker up
Yeah, but if that's why he bought the truck, and knows the consequences, why not?

Mud concerns:
  • Alternator filling with mud and overheating
  • rad filling with mud and the engine overheating
  • burned clutches (most off roading is hard on clutches unless you have a double low
  • redlining engine trying to get unstuck (Toyotas are pretty good about being redlined though)
  • Diffs, trannies, intakes getting muddy water in them
  • withough lockers, one of your tires could be spinning twice teh speed indicated which is hard on the diff.
  • sticks and stones concealed in the mud denting, bending, sticking in tire beads
  • rust forming where mud isn't washed off
  • mud coating tranny or sump causing overheating.

Last edited by Matt16; 10-15-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:26 AM
Banned

Yeah my buddy is a jackass, he was freaking out the whole time cause we didn't have anyone with us and were 20+ miles outta town.. The roads weren't that bad, but we didn't get footage of the worst one.. a foot and a half of just muddy water, in a low spot we got stuck in and I just romped on it to get out, lugged it, and burned my clutch up.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the fluid in the clutch master cylinder looks dark, slide under the passenger side of the truck and find the bleeder vavle on the bell housing. It is kind of by the area of the back side of the front suspension. any way loosen it with a 10mm open wrench (I think 10mm), slip a clear hose 1/4 inch over it about 7 feet long. Then take the other end over to the drivers side and put it in a container. now pump the clutch untill you get clear fluid with no bubles (of course you will have to add new DOT 3 fluid intermittently). this gave my clutch a much firmer feel until I get a chance to change my clutch too. Hopefully it will get here from Marlin next week.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by trbizwiz
If the fluid in the clutch master cylinder looks dark, slide under the passenger side of the truck and find the bleeder vavle on the bell housing. It is kind of by the area of the back side of the front suspension. any way loosen it with a 10mm open wrench (I think 10mm), slip a clear hose 1/4 inch over it about 7 feet long. Then take the other end over to the drivers side and put it in a container. now pump the clutch untill you get clear fluid with no bubles (of course you will have to add new DOT 3 fluid intermittently). this gave my clutch a much firmer feel until I get a chance to change my clutch too. Hopefully it will get here from Marlin next week.
Note that trbizwiz said DOT 3, which is brake fluid. THere is no "clutch fluid" per say.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:53 AM

^yes no clutch fluid. I found that out the hard way a while back lol. You could always drain it all out and put DOT4 lol
Old 10-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
That kid needs to grow up. I can't stand people like that.
seriously..
Old 10-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Pff, you guys are to hard I thought he was quite amusing!

Always, Matts theory of overheating the clutch makes sence, infact, thats how I lost my old clutch. Teaching people to drive standard (never friggen again!). Clutch had lots of meat left but the springs were toast.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Pff, you guys are to hard I thought he was quite amusing!

Always, Matts theory of overheating the clutch makes sence, infact, thats how I lost my old clutch. Teaching people to drive standard (never friggen again!). Clutch had lots of meat left but the springs were toast.
Clutch over heating is similar to "brake fade" experience by street cars on a race track.

Yeah, I'm thinking I need to limit the amount of teaching I do on my truck. It takes me 20 minutes to teach someone to be able to start, stop and shift to be able to move my truck around. The locker makes it "interesting" for people to learn standard on my truck.

Last edited by Matt16; 10-16-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Haha, everytime it "pops" people around my truck thing its about to blow up
Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Banned

Wow a whole buncha people on my local ORV club forum just bitched me out for not "treading lightly" and breaking the law, my friends cursing, and they said they're gonna turn me into the sherriff cause my tag numbers in one of the videos, so I'll just delete that one, obviously it WASNT legal, but its not like I'm the only person doing it. Whats done is done.

Last edited by Trustyrusty; 10-16-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
Wow a whole buncha people on my local ORV club forum just bitched me out for not "treading lightly" and breaking the law, my friends cursing, and they said they're gonna turn me into the sherriff cause my tag numbers in one of the videos, so I'll just delete that one, obviously it WASNT legal, but its not like I'm the only person doing it. Whats done is done.

what was against the law about that? were you where you werent suppose to be?
Old 10-16-2008, 05:27 PM

the rule with me is...i either dont go to the place FIRST..or i dont go to it without permission...i'll go muddin at a place if other people go there...i'll also go if i have permission..(HARD to get permission from pretty much anybody)..most of the places we get permission from the owner then somebody else comes along and says they own it or whatever and they threaten to call the sheriff so we just leave..cant really do anything about..obviously you weren't the first person on that road..as there were numerous ruts in front of you...of course if if was a guys road that he uses to get to his crops..shouldnt really be screwing that up..cuz thats his only way of gettin there...im sure the guy is upset about it..lol

Quick Reply: Toasted Clutch & Muddin!