Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing Chain – Miles vs. Years

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain – Miles vs. Years

Hello all -

I’m looking for some input from you 22re experts. I recently purchased a 1993 2wd pickup – xtra cab with only 49K miles. It’s a one-owner truck that has always been maintained by the local Toyota dealership. It’s had a soft life and was always parked in the garage, so it’s in amazing shape and runs great.

I don’t believe there is any deferred maintenance that needs to happen per se, but it is 22 years old.
My question pertains to the timing chain and the guides. I know that the guide failure is a “when” not “if”, but I’m wondering what drives that factor more, miles or years?

The same question applies to the chain, but I think with only 49K miles on the chain, it should still be within spec. I don’t have the luxury of keeping this a low mileage garage queen, so as my DD, the miles will start to rack up. I’ve checked the guides and they are intact, so for now there isn’t a problem. I just wonder how long that will be the case once I start driving it more. Is there a benefit to proactively changing the guides before they break, or just keep driving until they snap?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by ward; 12-09-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ward
Hello all -

I’m looking for some input from you 22re experts. I recently purchased a 1993 2wd pickup – xtra cab with only 49K miles. It’s a one-owner truck that has always been maintained by the local Toyota dealership. It’s had a soft life and was always parked in the garage, so it’s in amazing shape and runs great.

I don’t believe there is any deferred maintenance that needs to happen per se, but it is 22 years old.
My question pertains to the timing chain and the guides. I know that the guide failure is a “when” not “if”, but I’m wondering what drives that factor more, miles or years?

The same question applies to the chain, but I think with only 49K miles on the chain, it should still be within spec. I don’t have the luxury of keeping this a low mileage garage queen, so as my DD, the miles will start to rack up. I’ve checked the guides and they are intact, so for now there isn’t a problem. I just wonder how long that will be the case once I start driving it more. Is there a benefit to proactively changing the guides before they break, or just keep driving until they snap?

Thanks for your input!
I would say the main issue is number of engine starts. Until oil pressure takes up the slack with the tensioner, there is some slappin'...so to speak. The benefit would be not having to worry about pieces of guide in the sump. Mine was at 155,000 miles, and it had been making noise for the previous owner for some time. One of the guides was in pieces, some of which must still be in the sump. Grooves in the cover like milling machine cuts. I didn't/don't worry about that (the pieces). Just removed the cover without disturbing the head and pan gaskets and installed the new stuff. Runs great 21,000 miles later. No leaks either.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I replaced mine last year when it had 155,800 miles. It started making noise around 300 miles earlier. When I pulled the timing cover, the driver's side guide had disintegrated with some big chunks still in the chain area but the rest in the oil pan. I did the same as the OP where I didn't pull the head. The passenger side guide was still intact and didn't even have a scratch. I think you're good, just listen for that rattling/grinding sound and address the issue quickly before the chain gouges a hole in the timing cover where coolant will leak into your engine.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the input on this. I'll concentrate my efforts on adding LSD for now and hope the chain guides stay in one piece. My goal is to make an offroad "capable" overlander without breaking the bank and somehow managing to keep it useful as a DD.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:47 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, that's a great score a 93 yota with 49k miles on it.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:09 AM

Yes, I'm quite happy with it. I've had pretty good luck finding one owner, low mile Toyotas. This one will be a fun build.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
changed mine at 150k, heard the rattle of the chain due to broken guides. Compared to new chain, very minimal stretch. but guides were broken. replaced chain, new metal guides, oil pump, and water pump. Should be good for another 150k plus