86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thinking about doing a A/C conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about doing a A/C conversion.

Anyone done a A/c conversion on a 22re that dosent have A/C? What all would it take and how hard would it be? Thanks for all the Info! Later dudes
Old 07-07-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
for the most part, what I've gleaned (my wifee wants a/c on her 91), most everything is bolt on... if you can find the parts. evaporator, compressor, accumulator, hoses, a/c idle up valve, and 4 position fan control / a/c climate controls.

the dealer near us sells a complete 'kit' for a/c but it's almost as much as the truck was bought for 10 years ago- 3500. there are aftermarket suppliers that offer pretty much the same thing for around 1800. methinks the scrapyard would be cheapest in the long run but then we'd be stuck wondering if we got the right parts.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:58 PM

just go pick up all the AC stuff from a junkyard truck then have a shop with incandescant dye leak test it out of the vehicle and then pop it in there. the only really big pain in the but is going to be ripping out the entire dash and plenum chamber to get the evaporator in there. the compressor should just bolt on, just mount the condensor wherever you can infront of the radiator just mount the accumulator and the TXV to the firewall.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:32 AM

Since all A/C was, in fact, "dealer installed" during this era, the system was designed to be relatively easily installed. It consisted of a box of parts and instructions.

The stock wiring harness has all of the connectors for A/C. No drilling is required; all the holes are already there. The evaporator, thermistor, pressure switch, expansion valve, and control circuitry are all contained in the module which swaps out a duct behind the glove box. Pulling it yourself helps in figuring out how it all fits together.

My local yard charges $100US for an "a/c switchover" - all parts needed to add A/C. There's no need to disassemble the whole dash; just remove the glovebox and swap out the duct. The A/C On/Off switch just plugs into the hole in the dash. All the rest of the controls (fan switch, etc.) remain the same.

Other than finding a willing donor, getting the system evacuated/tested and charged may be the largest challenge. I maintain that a shop should be able to do this for about $150US; but finding that shop may be difficult. I don't think attempting to benchtest the parts before installation is really feasible. The typical "test" is to see if the system will hold a vacuum overnight.

Keep in mind: "R12 Systems work best with R12!"
Old 07-08-2008, 04:14 PM

so a shop sould be able to bench test the A/C stuff right! Cuz I would hate to install it and to find out it was junk.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ACKits.com

There are a bunch of threads on here and also a forum on the ACKits.com website. The 94 p/u was outfitted with both R12 and R134a systems. Finding a R134 system in a junkyard can be impossible. The ACKits.com unit set me back several hundred bucks, but it's all new equipment. It's easy to put in if you've familiarized yourself with the function of A/C system components and looked at several systems to get to know the components required for operation. Keep your drier dry! You can use old stuff, the evaporator box is definitely worth finding one from another Yota, but R12 equipment has to be converted. Find an R12 system and use Freeze 12. The only reason that the refridgerant switched over was because the patent from DuPont ran out. It won't vaporize our galaxy or anything, there's no need to worry. You need to find a condensor, a compressor, tensioner, dryer w/switch, evaporator, expansion valve, and vacuum throttle thing plus a belt and a few hoses. This is your shopping list. Study the way that it is connected and how it looks in the truck before getting to work or shopping. Look at the system in other cars too, to familiarize yourself with how it's setup and works. You can learn a lot about charging and diagnosing from the DVD that is for rent at Autozone and from the forum at ACKits.com Good Luck, my new ACKits system still isn't running after an attempt at installing in April last year

Last edited by BigWavePaul; 07-08-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:45 PM

Anyone have all the a/c stuff for sale for a 22re year 94
Old 07-09-2008, 07:08 PM

you can get all the parts from one truck from these Toyota specific yards

http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/

or

http://www.ranchotoyotatruckparts.com/

quote from another board

"$350 is what I charge for a complete FACTORY Toyota take out AC changeover.

I pull all the stuff from one truck, all the lines and fittings are plugged, all the hardware is bagged.

I also include a new receiver/ dryer with it (those should ALWAYS be replaced anytime you do a conversion from r12 to 134a)

All NON AC Toyota's are pre wired for all the switches and sensors.

So all you have to do is bolt the stuff on, take it to a shop that can vac the system for at least an hour, then charge it up and you are good to go.

You will want to replace all of the o-rings before you put it together just as a precautionary measure.

If you have any questions, shot me a PM or call me here at the shop"
1-877-551-5575
Old 07-10-2008, 08:52 PM

Thanks to all the guys that have helped with this post. I will be doing the conversion sometime soon!
Old 07-11-2008, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watch that you get all the stuff from a single vehicle/source. I can tell you that there are at least 3 different styles of AC brackets for the 22RE.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:12 AM

ok I will make sure to do that! Thanks for the heads up!