86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/T Neutral without startup

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/T Neutral without startup

Is it possible to get my 4runner out of park and into neutral withou starting up the engine? I have a fuel leak at the regulator on the passenger side fuel rail and my lease is up this weekend...so I basically need to roll the thing out of the garage and get it towed to my new place. I have tried shifting in all the various ignition positions (acc, run, etc.) and while cranking the starter but am unable to move into neutral. Any help would be awesome...and some meds for this stress headache would be nice as well ><
Old 04-27-2007, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there may be a clip or something you can remove by the shift so you can override the shift interlock switch.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:44 PM

not sure on 95 - but on my 97 there is a little button by the shifter that you can push in and shift the AT in/out of gear without the truck on.

John

Last edited by Mojo_Risin; 04-27-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo_Risin
not sure on 95 - but on my 97 there is a little button by the shifter that you can push in and shift the AT in/out of gear without the truck on.

John
Yeah my 93 had a little button to bypass the shift lock too.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

If you turn the key to ACC and depress the brake it should go into neutral...I just did it over the weekend and it worked fine.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc P
If you turn the key to ACC and depress the brake it should go into neutral...I just did it over the weekend and it worked fine.
Yeah that should work too, as long as the brake pedal switch is working.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:32 PM

Any chance of a pic of the button? I'm at work now but will look when I get home. I tried pressing the break down but it won't depress, maybe because it has been sitting for a while do to head gasket job?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:53 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All you should need to do is push the brake down and shift it, if its been sitting it may need some juice in the battery to recognize this.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:41 PM

not my pic - but see above the the "p" there is a little switch. look for that.

John

Last edited by Mojo_Risin; 04-27-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
on my 88 i dont even have to ahve the key in the ignition or my foot on the break to move my tranny in/out of gear. Even when the truck is running, i can move the shifter thru all the gears.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:06 PM

or just disconnect the rear drive shaft on one end...4 simple bolts
Old 04-27-2007, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VoxMan
Is it possible to get my 4runner out of park and into neutral withou starting up the engine? I have a fuel leak at the regulator on the passenger side fuel rail and my lease is up this weekend...so I basically need to roll the thing out of the garage and get it towed to my new place. I have tried shifting in all the various ignition positions (acc, run, etc.) and while cranking the starter but am unable to move into neutral. Any help would be awesome...and some meds for this stress headache would be nice as well ><
So are you wanting to tow it (rear wheels on the ground) in neutral ?

Fred
Old 04-28-2007, 03:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by VoxMan
Any chance of a pic of the button? I'm at work now but will look when I get home. I tried pressing the break down but it won't depress, maybe because it has been sitting for a while do to head gasket job?
Turn the ignition to "ON" then look under the dash and find the brake pedal switch. I'm not 100% sure, and can't check right now because I'm at work, but I think when the brake pedal is pushed in, the button on the switch is allowed to extend, so you may have to remove the switch to allow the button to extend since you say you can't depress the pedal.

Do you mean that you can't press the pedal in at all, or that it doesn't move very much before becoming rock solid when you press it? It doesn't sound right that it doesn't move at all. It sounds more like the vacuum trapped in your brake booster since the last time your vehicle ran has since been released (which would happen if you've pressed the pedal in a couple of times or if you have any small air leaks at all), so now you essentially have no power assist since you can't start the truck, and your pedal doesn't move down much when you press it.

If that's the case, you could also get somebody to crack open a brake bleeder fitting as you're pressing the pedal. That would allow it to move also.

For this method to even allow you to shift, though, your battery needs to be connected and charged.

And like Fred asked above, are you planning on towing your vehicle with the wheels on the ground in neutral? If so, you must disconnect your rear driveshaft anyways (if you are going to be travelling any amount of distance), because without the truck running, the tranny fluid will not be circulating properly to lubricate the parts in the tranny that will be turning when they are driven by the rear wheels.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 04-28-2007 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
<SNIP>

And like Fred asked above, are you planning on towing your vehicle with the wheels on the ground in neutral? If so, you must disconnect your rear driveshaft anyways (if you are going to be travelling any amount of distance), because without the truck running, the tranny fluid will not be circulating properly to lubricate the parts in the tranny that will be turning when they are driven by the rear wheels.

Yup, that's what I was getting at, depending on the answer
You can not safely tow the vehicle with the rear wheels on the ground and the tranny in neutral. The pump isn't turning and no fluid circulating. You'l damage the tranny.
The only way to do that is to drop the rear drivshaft shaft, and just to be sure, leave the tranny in park.
If your xfer case had a true neutral then you could tow it like that by leaving the tranny in park and shifting the xfer case to neutral.

Fred