Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

suspension questions

Old 10-07-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspension questions

Hey guys, i recently picked up this t4r its a 1990 The rear end is sitting low, i noticed it has airbags inside the springs, both ripped and on one of the lines leading from the airbag is all busted up. I kinda like the look.

I was wondering how much can i lower the front by adjusting the torsion bar? i have to loosen, correct? how does it change the ride?

Also i was wondering if there are aftermarket springs for the rear, with maybe stiffer springs rate? anything for the front? what about sway bars? i just want to improve the ride, the truck is my DD for the winter.

THanx guys! i'll try and post some pics
Old 10-07-2006, 05:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
search bar at the top will yield thousands of results on springs and the sag is normal for 4runners. Lets see pics of the bags that you are talking about
Old 10-07-2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
search bar at the top will yield thousands of results on springs and the sag is normal for 4runners. Lets see pics of the bags that you are talking about
I'll get pics tomorrow in the day time. I know the sag is normal, but i don't really like it, its causing the front end to sit higher then normal, and the whole truck is sloped down toward the rear.... I did a search for sway bar couldn't find anything concrete but i will continu to read thru threads
Old 10-07-2006, 05:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
aight good luck
Old 10-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Alperovich
I'll get pics tomorrow in the day time. I know the sag is normal, but i don't really like it, its causing the front end to sit higher then normal, and the whole truck is sloped down toward the rear.... I did a search for sway bar couldn't find anything concrete but i will continu to read thru threads
Are you talking about your sway bars or are you looking for sway away torsion bars?
Old 10-07-2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by slosurfer
Are you talking about your sway bars or are you looking for sway away torsion bars?
are the sway away deisgned for added wheel travel, then now, i want to stiffen up the suspension give just a tad more of a sporty feel, a little less body roll on turns, i guess i might have to try and bend my own sway bars if there are non out there
Old 10-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

now I get what you wanted with the swaybars. Probably won't find much since most people here ditch them all together or get disco's for them. If you want a more stable ride OME, Downey, and others make replacement coils for the rear. I think some OME shocks in the front is all you need to help with body roll. As far as a sportier feel, if you have a 3.0 good luck!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I'm sorry what is the question????? I got distracted by signature… Seriously dude – your signature is obnoxious!!
Old 10-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kctopher
I'm sorry what is the question????? I got distracted by your signature… Seriously dude – your signature is obnoxious!!
x2
Old 10-08-2006, 07:19 PM

It is a truck. For what it is it rides and handles quite well. From what you are asking you don't want a truck. It is the wrong vehicle for you.

Please sell the Truck to somebody that will use it as a truck and go buy a Honda station wagon. You can get street performance suspensions for them.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Al,

Seriously, please bring those sig font sizes down. We give a little latitude for sig sizes, but this will ruin it for all the members if the trend continues.

Thanks for your understanding,
Bob
Old 10-09-2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Al,

Seriously, please bring those sig font sizes down. We give a little latitude for sig sizes, but this will ruin it for all the members if the trend continues.

Thanks for your understanding,
Bob
no problem
Old 10-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Arrow No lowering in Yotatech

Hey guys, i recently picked up this t4r its a 1990 The rear end is sitting low, i noticed it has airbags inside the springs, both ripped and on one of the lines leading from the airbag is all busted up. I kinda like the look.

I was wondering how much can i lower the front by adjusting the torsion bar? i have to loosen, correct? how does it change the ride?

Also i was wondering if there are aftermarket springs for the rear, with maybe stiffer springs rate? anything for the front? what about sway bars? i just want to improve the ride, the truck is my DD for the winter.

THanx guys! i'll try and post some pics
Your airbags are busted, replace them and air them down. Leave those stock saggy springs if you want to drag a** everywhere you go.

If you want a stiff ride, get some Ranchos (shocks). Everyone knows that the Rancho shocks are stiff.

Now that you've given yourself up, you're looking more like a sheep in a wolfpack. If you want to lower your front end, I'm not sure if this is the right type of forum for you. Try LowRider, I only know that if you tighten those tie rods your truck lifts and your tires lose downward travel. Common sense (extinct nowadays) says that if you loosen them, you loose upward travel. Maybe your tires will bow outward, giving your phat Hoo-Ride that pigeon toed look, neat. Hence, making you look like one of those bouncing lowriders hopping down the street after rolling over any bump. You're trying to make your truck look stupid. For that, it hates you. DO NOT CASTRATE this vehicle. These vehicles were built for work. Without their gonads, they will destroy you in time.

Last edited by BigWavePaul; 10-09-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by BigWavePaul
Your airbags are busted, replace them and air them down. Leave those stock saggy springs if you want to drag a** everywhere you go.

If you want a stiff ride, get some Ranchos (shocks). Everyone knows that the Rancho shocks are stiff.

Now that you've given yourself up, you're looking more like a sheep in a wolfpack. If you want to lower your front end, I'm not sure if this is the right type of forum for you. Try LowRider, I only know that if you tighten those tie rods your truck lifts and your tires lose downward travel. Common sense (extinct nowadays) says that if you loosen them, you loose upward travel. Maybe your tires will bow outward, giving your phat Hoo-Ride that pigeon toed look, neat. Hence, making you look like one of those bouncing lowriders hopping down the street after rolling over any bump. You're trying to make your truck look stupid. For that, it hates you. DO NOT CASTRATE this vehicle. These vehicles were built for work. Without their gonads, they will destroy you in time.
as for the tires, thats what alignments are for.

as for lowering, it i just want i to match the rear. I'm not looking to slam my truck to the ground, i have a sports car for that. i just want the front to fit even with the rear, i wouldn't mind just changing the rear springs are leveling it that way, it would also work for me. i like the high ride of the truck, it just looks like crap with the rear end sagging like it does... Thanx for your slader and unhelpfull post. sorry for thinking you guys are a helpfull bunch.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

as for the tires, thats what alignments are for.

as for lowering, it i just want i to match the rear. I'm not looking to slam my truck to the ground, i have a sports car for that. i just want the front to fit even with the rear, i wouldn't mind just changing the rear springs are leveling it that way, it would also work for me. i like the high ride of the truck, it just looks like crap with the rear end sagging like it does... Thanx for your slader and unhelpfull post. sorry for thinking you guys are a helpfull bunch.
It sounds like replacing the rear springs is going to give you the best ride. Try downey, old man emu, performance products, etc... Then new shocks all around. It will look nice and level and ride way better than stock. We are a helpful bunch but have had a rash of "lowering threads" started here lately, so some are on edge. Let us know what you decide to go with.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:22 PM

/\ i guess. I just ordered some moog springs, also i got a master and slave cyl rebuild kits, and new belts. also i have to figure out whats up with the power steering, i think either the pump is leaking or a hose, i heven't look far into it yet, but there is p+s fluid leaking for sure, and best of all I just bought a factory service manual, its got so much info, its got alot more then we get on Alldata at school
Old 05-15-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lowriders are for city schmucks. They were once good vehicles turned into dysfunctional crap.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by displacedAlaskan
Lowriders are for city schmucks. They were once good vehicles turned into dysfunctional crap.
Way to go Idaho...

haha, this one's ancient.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:13 PM

holy crap. shoes would have all of ur throats. i say slam that truck down to the ground and ride it out. not everyone is dumb like this al, no worries. u can uncrank the torsions some and be fine. theres plenty of other ways to do it too, im just not sure of what they are.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

simple coil spacers for the rear will fix it. Hell, I've got some springs in the garage I'm tryin to get rid of, $50+ shipping and you'll solve the rear sag instantly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: suspension questions