Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Suspension lift options

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension lift options

hi, i just recently bought a 1991 4X4 22RE

it needs new leaf springs in back and the most of the front suspension is shot...

so ive been looking at the complete lift kits for it.

im going to be wheeling it (not crazy stuff though) and still want to drive it on the road.

what are the best roads to go down?

ive been looking at the skyjacker kit beucase it comes with new leaf springs...

but would one of the cheaper kits with a new set of stock leafs be just as good?

there are all the kits

heres the truck

http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/toyota4_86_96.htm
Old 11-27-2007, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you want to lift it 4 inches though? its going to be extra money for tires plus running them slows the truck down loads
Old 11-27-2007, 03:50 PM

its already got 31's on it (yes i know they will look small with the lift)

but i really need to replace ALOT in the suspension and doing the whole lift kit would take care of alot of it....

keep in mind i NEED to replace the leaf springs...

i would like to lift it an inch or two at least, what else can i do?

the whole suspension kits only come in 4-5 inches

oh and heres the truck, i messed up earlier and pasted the wrong link

Old 11-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Banned

I'd spend about 50$ on a rattle can job so the whole truck is the same color before I worried about a lame ass IFS lift... I have IFS, and I've done some pretty crazy most guys with solid axles wouldn't touch. I'd save up and do a SAS IF your going to be rock crawling. I prefer high speed stuff, mud, and trails.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
I'd spend about 50$ on a rattle can job so the whole truck is the same color before I worried about a lame ass IFS lift... I have IFS, and I've done some pretty crazy most guys with solid axles wouldn't touch. I'd save up and do a SAS IF your going to be rock crawling. I prefer high speed stuff, mud, and trails.
1. i plan on pianting the door
2. im not doing any kinds of suspension swapping

thanks for the help
Old 11-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Banned

You don't wheel much do you?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
You don't wheel much do you?
no

i plan on being able to have fun with it but not make a rock crawler
Old 11-27-2007, 06:21 PM

my truck...see below...has 5" or so superlift suspension....still IFS...

i love it...seems to do anything i want it too......altohugh it sure is stiff...you'll lose a lot of ride quality...and it does bog my power down..but i have the 3VZE....cant imagine what the 22re is like...

Lets just say i wont ever have a full cup of coffee in the cupholder anymore

Cheers,

Paul

Old 11-27-2007, 07:52 PM

i'm in the same boat as you...i want to replace my saggy rear leafs and i want a lift....so might as well spend a few hundred extra bucks and buy the complete lift, just doing some mild offroading and playing around....and jeep envy

Old 11-27-2007, 08:26 PM

VOhaul...i dont know why your lift is so rough riding? Maybe because its superlift. I have the 4 ich trailmaster lift, and my truck rides great. It has rancho shocks all the way around.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, perhaps it would be better to tell us exactly what is shot on your front end?

All that those systems replace are your shocks. Everything else just reuses existing parts, they just lower it down, giving you lift. If you have worn out parts, these will not replace anything in the front.

If you want that much lift, go for it, but just figure in the budget that you will still have to replace any worn out parts you come across.

They shouldn't stiffen or soften your ride really. You may get a bit rougher ride, but not too much.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 PM

There's always Old Man Emu lift kits, though they offer 2 1/2" kits instead of 4 or 5" lift. I had OME stuff on my '87 Nissan Pathfinder and I wheeled the crap outta that thing, 3" or so lift, cut the fenders and ran 35's with a lil rubbing. Not a 'Yota, but it tells of OME quality a bit.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:18 PM

OME makes FANTASTIC suspensions. 3 of my friends run them on there Jeeps. They ride great, and have some of th ebest shocks out there.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:20 AM

just all the ball joints and bushing and , which if i have to take everything apart to install the kit, i could do at the same time easiliy.... and one of the leaf springs in back is broken which is why i need new ones
Old 11-28-2007, 05:20 AM

i'm in the same boat. I'm pretty sure i want to replace all of the bushings as well. ome seems to be the front runner but thats a grand. So i was thinkking of blistien shocks with new bushings. And maybe new leaf springs??
Old 11-28-2007, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
OME leafs for these trucks are around 200 bucks. Unless you have a heavy front bumper with a winch, you really won't gain anything by putting in new torsion bars. 200 for springs, add in 80 per for 4 shocks. you are at 520 bucks. The OME part is more like half a grand.

Throw in some BJ spacers for 120 to level it out, and you've got a pretty reliable front end, a good lift for 31's, and you haven't broken the bank.

However, I'm sure you've already checked that out, and so if are sure on getting a bracket lift, i would get one that has new springs. I've only ever ridden in skyjacker springs, and they were pretty stiff, and didn't flex much.

BTW, which bushings are we talking about here? The LCA bushings? Just my personal advice on those, having done them, just buy new ones from napa or whereever, take the LCA into a shop and have them press the bushings out for you, and press the new ones in. It will save you HOURS of time.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
OME leafs for these trucks are around 200 bucks. Unless you have a heavy front bumper with a winch, you really won't gain anything by putting in new torsion bars. 200 for springs, add in 80 per for 4 shocks. you are at 520 bucks. The OME part is more like half a grand.

Throw in some BJ spacers for 120 to level it out, and you've got a pretty reliable front end, a good lift for 31's, and you haven't broken the bank.

However, I'm sure you've already checked that out, and so if are sure on getting a bracket lift, i would get one that has new springs. I've only ever ridden in skyjacker springs, and they were pretty stiff, and didn't flex much.

BTW, which bushings are we talking about here? The LCA bushings? Just my personal advice on those, having done them, just buy new ones from napa or whereever, take the LCA into a shop and have them press the bushings out for you, and press the new ones in. It will save you HOURS of time.
so all i need for the front is new shocks and ball joint spacers?

im new to this and ive never lifted a truck so i dont know at all
Old 11-28-2007, 07:06 AM

so say i wanted a 2 inch lift, keeping in mind i need completely new leaf spring sets in the rear:

what do i need for the entire truck? (shocks included)
Old 11-28-2007, 07:14 AM

My 90 I am running 32s with BJ spacers and rear AALs it cost me $178 but I didnt have to buy new shocks. I turned up the torsion bars to level it out and the ride is a little rough. I recommend 2" aals if you go with this setup.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 AM

i am so confused

Quick Reply: Suspension lift options