86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stinger or no stinger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stinger or no stinger?

Looking to buy MC's front bumper, wondering if i should have the stinger or not. I have a basically stock body, no lift kit or SAS, so i was wondering which would look better. PICTURES??
Old 07-20-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
go for the stinger. that way when/if you do put bigger tires/lift you wont be sayin "man i wish ida got the one with the stinger". personally, i dont liek the marlin front bumper without the stinger, but thats my opinon. seach for a member named junkers88 or 88junkers or somethin liek that he has a 1st gen runner with marlin bumper without a stinger
Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I do indeed have the MC front with no stinger. I don't do enough vertical rock climbs or deep descents to warrant a stinger, that and I don't like the way they look.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

A stinger on a stockish looking truck would be obnoxious looking. I dont like them period. The only thing I've seen them actually useful for are so that artic trucks don't fall through a giant crevis and the competition rigs that have the spotter pulling on a rope that's tied to it for all he's worth to help them get some traction on a vertical wall.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I kinda like the look of the stinger but NOT on a stock vehicle looks to be way over kill. Now if you are going to make it a rig and modify it more then I say go with a stinger if not go with out. My .02
Old 07-21-2009, 10:35 AM

FWIW the Marlin stinger is not huge like the obese and waaay overkill Trail Gear bumper. Stingers give you a little bit of visual perspective on your front end if you don't have a spotter, and they are also a good spot to mount lights if you're gunna put a winch in there. If it's a stinger like TG's I think it'd look hideous on a stock height yota (or any yota for that matter lol ) but I think a Marlin stinger bumper would look good.

When I get a bumper it'll have a stinger but that's because I'm gunna tie in side fender protection to it and start my exo from the rear bumper over the fender well to the sliders then from the sliders to the front bumper over the fender well if that makes sense...
Old 07-21-2009, 10:40 AM

Dude, you have to get the stinger, otherwise, how will you take pictures of your girlfriend hanging upside down on the thing? That seems to be the primary use for a stinger.

I find them a little silly myself. Especially if you are not a hard core rock crawler.

My stinger is bigger than yours!! Ahem...

Mike
Old 07-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

If the truck is primarily a street truck with minimal mods I just go with a regular bumper and if you are wanting a stinger for looks than that falls into the "rice" category.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
If the truck is primarily a street truck with minimal mods I just go with a regular bumper and if you are wanting a stinger for looks than that falls into the "rice" category.
Would your clear corners/signals be considered rice then

To the OP get whatever you want, don't let people on the internet decide something that comes down to personal preference. I personally like the stinger look even if it were just for the look....call me a poser or whatever, but I'll know I'm not so idc what other people would think
Old 07-21-2009, 11:21 AM

i want to get a bumper with a stinger so i can look cool at the mall
if you do get the one with the stinger and decide you dont like it.. nothin a little wont take of

Last edited by yoder519; 07-21-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawMike
Dude, you have to get the stinger, otherwise, how will you take pictures of your girlfriend hanging upside down on the thing? That seems to be the primary use for a stinger.
I take offense to this statement.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:34 PM

I find the stinger very useful even on some of your less challenging trails. I've only got a 1.5" lift on my 89 4Runner and I don't think it looks that bad and even if it does I don't give a damn. I like function more than form and I actualy use my stinger from time to time. So I guess I'm saying rock the stinger if you think you'll use it, but if you're building a parking lot princess then don't do the stinger.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I love my stinger. I got a custom one welded on (round not squared like the MC option). I love it. Two lights fit perfect in there and it makes it really easy to know where the front of your rig is on the trail (or when parking )

Stinger all the way!
Old 07-21-2009, 05:47 PM

Get the stinger. Who cares if you dont hit trails or what not. I think they look cool and its more protection for the grille.

Im going to get a Marlin Crawler front bumper with stinger one of these days. All my friends will say it looks stupid and i will say get out of my truck. hahah.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I for one will be ordering a stingerless bumber from MC later down the road

For a truck that's also a daily driver, I just think they look better without it in my opinion. If it was more of a regular trail truck, I would go with the singer though.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Get the stinger.

It makes a nice seat when your working in the engine bay. I'd go with the Addicted Offroad winch bumper. Small stinger that doesn't cover the headlights(which is illegal in some states-the whole headlight obstruction thing...).
Old 07-21-2009, 07:25 PM

I'm diggin the Addicted bumper, decent price too. The stinger isn't too big, but it still looks cool, thanks for the advice everyone. Still undecided but i have a friend that is a hardcore machinist, so maybe he can make one for me. I was just lookin to start a trail rig down the line, thought this was a good place to start. Thanks for your opinions, does anyone know any other good bumpers that i should be aware of first?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:37 PM

X2 on the addictedoffroad.com bumper. Whether you get the stinger or no-stinger option, the addicted bumper fits better than the MC bumper and the lines on the tubing just plain look better. It is also easier to fit turn signal lights into it than the MC bumper. OH, did I mention the welds are bomb proof?

Trust me you can't go wrong with scotty's bumper.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Im in the same situation, it all comes down to form over function...
Old 07-21-2009, 08:42 PM

i was lookin at maybe a tjm but i heard that they arent being sold in the us anymore...whats the deal with that?

Quick Reply: Stinger or no stinger?