86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

sputtering at idle and while coasting only

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sputtering at idle and while coasting only

I picked up an 89 4Runner today and i need some help getting it to run right.

Its got the 22re with 5sp. when it is sitting at idle it has a little sputter. when you are driving it everything seems fine when you are accelerating but when you are either coasting with your foot off the pedal or just cruising it sputters real bad. Get on the gas and it goes away.

My thought is the throttle position sensor but though i'd see what ideas you guys have before i go tearing into it.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:45 PM

vacuum leak, egr valve sticking open
Old 10-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by desert-rat660
egr valve sticking open
that's what it sounds like to me; thats a very common symptom on a Ford when the EGR sticks (I experienced it with a Mustang), but that's a Ford...
Old 10-28-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the egr thing doesn't sit well with me cause it was said that it sputters at cruise too, which is exactly when the egr valve should be open. not saying it's not the problem, but that just makes me
I can see a vacuum leak issue maybe throwing the ecu for a loop.
Or maybe it just needs a tune up?
Old 10-29-2008, 05:57 AM

thanks, keep the ideas coming. What is throwing me off is that if you are on the gas it runs perfect.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:45 AM

it's probably not running perfect, but small changes in spark condition or fuel mixture are not as noticible under acceleration as they are under cruise/coast since the latter conditions operate under more lean fuel mixtures.
If you haven't done it yet, do the plugs, cap, rotor and wires, and maybe the coil. I would start with the basic required maintenance items first and see how it goes. If it doesn't get better then start the troubleshooting.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:55 AM

There are a bunch of red wires that are grounded to the intake where the 2 sections come together. If that ground is not good you can have this same condition. I am not sure what they are grounding, maybe the injectors but I had the same problem and this was the fix. I would say you have an electrical problem though.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:58 AM

the red wires are grounded.

I pulled the throttle body and intake off and there is about 1/4" carbon and sludge all over everything. I'm thinking this could be part of the problem. Maybe with the throttle body in the idle position there is too much restriction for air flow. I just wish I had a good parts washer. Any ideas to get the inside of the intake man. cleaned out good? Thought about capping the throttle body end and filling it up with gas and letting it sit for a while.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

oh joy, the infamous "black goo"

search it, you'll find some threads on it; probably mine too, lol, I had the same issue with my 91 and I posted a thread about it
Old 10-29-2008, 08:40 PM

well i cleaned out the throttle body and plennum real good. I then pulled the egr valve and checked it out and found that the little piece that the small vac line goes to about half way down the main pipe was clogged up completely. I cleaned it out and went looking for more crap. Then i found in the upper vac line that goes on top of the egr what looks like a bb It was stuck down in the vac line. I'm sure this shouldn't be there...but how would it have gotten there? It was blocking the whole line from air movement. anyways, I put everything back together and will take her for a test drive in the morning (with my fingers crossed)

I also tried to test my TPS with an ohm meter but was getting full continuity with the tps in all positions. does this mean that its bad? should't it give different readings throughout the range?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:44 PM

http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
Old 10-29-2008, 08:45 PM

did you remove the 'bb'? how is it running now?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 PM

I already printed out the info on that link. It says you should be getting different readings at different throttle openings but i'm getting full continuity at all positions. either my ohm meter is bad or the tps is bad.

Yea, removed the bb. I'll see how it runs in the morning.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:39 PM

well, if its any better its only a little. It still does it at idle and while coasting or cruising under little or no throttle. I tried unplugging the tps and it didn't change anything.

I pulled the plugs to do a compression check (180psi on all 4) and noticed the spark plugs looked like they were covered in cement. Its a very hard white buildup. I went to auto zone to pick up some new plugs and wires and the guy tasted it (yes, I said tasted it. He actually broke off a piece and put it in his mouth.) He said it was varnish probably from very old gas in the truck from a while back. sound like he is on track? I'll put the new plugs and wires on tonight and see what happens.

It also seems to be idleing very high (feels like a warm up idle) but never goes away. can't find any vac leaks though.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:18 PM

new plugs didn't fix it. I took out autolite platinums and went with NGK's.

I'll try the wires tomorow "fingers crossed" but i don't have a good feeling about this.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:34 PM

mine had a sputtering problem when i first got it, i pulled the wire off the coil and found that it had been arcing, it arced a hole in the side of the coil where the wire goes down into it
Old 10-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 99ncxj
new plugs didn't fix it. I took out autolite platinums and went with NGK's.

I'll try the wires tomorow "fingers crossed" but i don't have a good feeling about this.
may I suggest the NGK wires as well; I went through 3 other sets; Autolites, some cheapo "Xact" brand, and Accel, and all were crap made and didn't last. These NGK wires I have now are without a doubt some of the best manufactured wires I have ever seen.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:17 PM

where can you have the codes pulled off these old trucks? Do you have to go to a toyota dealership? I don't think autozone can pull anything other than obdII
Old 10-31-2008, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 99ncxj
where can you have the codes pulled off these old trucks? Do you have to go to a toyota dealership? I don't think autozone can pull anything other than obdII
Go back to 4crawlers site or search for "paper clip trick". It's the best diagnostic tool ever and it is literally a paper clip.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:19 AM

x2 on the ngk wires, cool blue color too. The only thing that I didnt like was that the newer ones dont come with the plastic cap retainers and you have to re use the old ones.

Quick Reply: sputtering at idle and while coasting only