86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

spool or not to spool

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do this.

off road isnt hard on a weld job its the pavement thats hard on it. it cost me about 4" of flat bar mild steel so probly less than 5 bucks. just make sure yo u got mild steel in there cause welding that britle gear metal wont work if you go larger than 31's it will probly crack

lunchbox may also be good since it doesnt see much driving time

if i were you id spool it or weld it
Old 12-10-2008, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by algranger
do this.

off road isnt hard on a weld job its the pavement thats hard on it. it cost me about 4" of flat bar mild steel so probly less than 5 bucks. just make sure yo u got mild steel in there cause welding that britle gear metal wont work if you go larger than 31's it will probly crack

lunchbox may also be good since it doesnt see much driving time

if i were you id spool it or weld it
that looks like some bad rust on that ring gear there al.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats one of the best gear welds I have seen in a long time. I see so many people try to just weld the gears with no plate at all
Old 12-10-2008, 04:36 PM

If off road only and trailer queen then spool it, otherwise go with a lunch box locker. You'll be happier with the locker on few occasions you do drive it on the road. Besides, it's fun to watch peoples faces when the locker is banging around in the back.

I've got one in my samurai, and it sometimes bangs or clacks real loud when it unlocks abruptly....after a particularly loud episode, my sister looked at me a little frightened and asked "Is your rig ok?" I responded with a freaked out look and said, "dunno." LOL.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:02 PM

i had a spool in my 2wd... gettin the air, and i have a lock rite in my 4runner. the spool was much easier to drive with. it was more predictable. the lock rite is weird. plus talk about people looking. when your in a parking lot and you take a corner and your chirpin, it turns heads for sure.. people are like "wheres the crawler" lol
Old 12-10-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah tell me abou tit lowlife lol as for alex did you take that picture of my 3rd when i welded mine? cause boy that looks just like what mine does!! witch i might be taking the 3rd from the trial rig and throwing it at the dd just for winter!
Old 12-10-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I've got a lockrite in rear and like it, quirky to learn to drive at first. I'll never go open again. Haven't hade a spool but cringe when I hear them chirping tires when turning sounds like money down the drain when I think of tire wear v/s cost. Shoot weld it for cheap now save, and get another 3rd and do it right with gears, tires and locker at same time. just my 0.02
Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lowlifeyota
i had a spool in my 2wd... gettin the air, and i have a lock rite in my 4runner. the spool was much easier to drive with. it was more predictable. the lock rite is weird. plus talk about people looking. when your in a parking lot and you take a corner and your chirpin, it turns heads for sure.. people are like "wheres the crawler" lol
I had a Toyota mechanic for a drive with my 4Runner and had him listen for a funny noise I was hearing. He didn't notice the Aussie I had in the rear. I told him about it afterwards, and he said he wouldn't have ever known had i not told him. Nice picture by the way, do you have an IFS brace? Can you still align your tires.

69Stepside, I suggest you read the write up in my signature below, then smack yourself in the head for even thinking about ruining a perfectly good set of tires over a $200 locker.

Yehaw, 3000 posts!

Last edited by Matt16; 12-10-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by just a 22re
yeah tell me abou tit lowlife lol as for alex did you take that picture of my 3rd when i welded mine? cause boy that looks just like what mine does!! witch i might be taking the 3rd from the trial rig and throwing it at the dd just for winter!
yeah man i was right there you jsut didnt know it. i may be doin a little 3rd swappin myslef

Originally Posted by lowlifeyota
some people think that, others just think your some punk kid trying to be badass lol

Originally Posted by jsn_stockard
Thats one of the best gear welds I have seen in a long time. I see so many people try to just weld the gears with no plate at all
thanks. i actually had a buddy do it for me cause ive never done one. he stuck some axle shafts in there while he welded it, said that was real important. also said the reason the gear to gear welds dont work is cause the metal gets really britle and just wont hold, you need some mild steel in there so it has somethin to grab on to. 1/4" flat bar in there
Old 12-10-2008, 07:43 PM

no i dont have a ifs truss yet but thinking fo ordering one from sonoran steel
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 PM

lol thats cause i am a punk kid tryin to be bad ass lol