86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spontaneous Truck Fire!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The engine harness may not cover all the wire damage, there are also body harness wires that run around the engine bay too.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hawaiibake
obnoxious haoli! HAHAHAHA! Nice to hear someone who even knows what that is. I actually lived illegally in the states for 7 years, they finally cought up with me when I came back from thailand with my wife (she is hawaiian). they denied me entry and kicked me out to vancouver. I tried to sneak back in through the forest south of winnipeg and they got me on a hidden camera in the trees. not a good time. Now i live in victoria bc because it is the warmest place i could find in canada.
That sneaking back in thing is what screwed you. A guy I used to work with tried something like that, [using me as an unknowing coyote,[the miserable SOB]] fortunately HS realised I had no idea what he was trying and I was only "denyed entry" that one time [kinda like going to the border w/out ID]. Nowadays I am very careful about who I fly where. The jerk on the other hand is in a great deal of trouble, not only was he kicked out of the US Can. deported his worthless behind back to where he came from [could'nt happen to a nicer guy] (is that schadenfruede on my part?). I'm surprised your mrs. could'nt sponsor you.

Originally Posted by mt_goat
There are a few differences in 4runners, even if you had the same year. You should try to get the same year and model harness as your truck. The pins on the plugs to the ECU may be different.

The engine harness pulls though the firewall pretty easy once you unplug the ECU connectors. There is a big hole under that rubber boot. Just pull the boot loose from the firewall.
Dale is right there are different harnesses for the auto/manny tranny engines, 3vze/22re, DLX/SR5, tacometer yes/no, and Veh. model years early 89-92 and late 93-95 [and no telling when that switch occurred during production] just to begin with. You really need to match most of the above choices to what you had to ensure a trouble free retrofit.

Last edited by aviator; 08-22-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:28 PM

I can get a wiring harness, but i have to wait for a while to get one that will match my truck. I think i am going the splice route. I know it will be a pain in the ass, but think of all of the great soldering practice i will get!

Sneaking back into the country was in retrospect not the greatest idea, but i had a contract to build a turnkey home for a guy that i was allready late starting and a spec house to finish, not to mention my wife, friends and an incredible life in hawaii.
I plead temporary insanity
Old 08-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah just give it a few years and try to apply again the right way...
Old 08-22-2008, 11:21 PM

obnoxious haoli! HAHAHAHA! Nice to hear someone who even knows what that is. I actually lived illegally in the states for 7 years, they finally cought up with me when I came back from thailand with my wife (she is hawaiian). they denied me entry and kicked me out to vancouver. I tried to sneak back in through the forest south of winnipeg and they got me on a hidden camera in the trees. not a good time. Now i live in victoria bc because it is the warmest place i could find in canada.
I know Hawaii has been trying to succeed recently and reestablish the Hawaiian Kingdom. However, last time I check Hawaiians are still Americans. Married to American=Green Card. Why are you sneaking around?

Nothing to do with the truck, it just struck me as odd
Old 08-24-2008, 06:48 AM

I brought all the parts home from the 4 runner, and found the wires in the harness were not all the same color. so i decided to just repair the one that was in my truck allready. so i stripped off all the tape and plastic encasing the harness and methodically spliced new wire everywhere the harness was melted. i used several parts of the "new" harness of the 4 runner that went to the coil and oil sensor. lots of soldering, but it is done now.

Today I hope to finish it up, still have to splice the bodt harness where it passes over the radiator. when my truck was burning, all of my lights turned on! i guess the power wires melted together.

now i am worried about all of the little bits that might have gotten into my vaccum lines from the crumbling melted rubber. i am thinking of taking the vac cleaner to everything before i put it together.

I cannot get a green card because i have a misdemenor charge for smoking pot 11 years ago. these days that is all it takes to keep you out of the states.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

If the charge was in Canada there is a website where you can apply for a pardon, which would clear your record.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:22 PM

the truck is alive!!!!!!!! I just finished it off and she started right up. i couldn't even believe it! now i am paranoid it will lite itself up again. So it is parked outside and i have the battery terminals disconnected, hope that is enough.

Pardons don't mean anything in usa if they allredy know you have a record. I have a lawyer trying to get me back into the country right now.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

the truck is alive!!!!!!!! I just finished it off and she started right up. i couldn't even believe it! now i am paranoid it will lite itself up again. So it is parked outside and i have the battery terminals disconnected, hope that is enough.

Pardons don't mean anything in usa if they allredy know you have a record. I have a lawyer trying to get me back into the country right now.

Thanks for all the feedback.
A guy I used to work with had a record for assault [bad barfight thing] and he got "USVisit-ed" one flight [after the boob tried to use me as a coyote] and he was refused entry and barred. He got the pardon [took about 6mos.] and now has no unusual problems at all he just produced the paperwork at the border and they updated there system and so far all is well. He carries the paperwork with him "just in case" but has'nt had an issue yet [since last time I talked with him anyhow].
Old 08-25-2008, 05:13 AM

assult charges are nothing like drug charges to the Border people. i would be way better off with an serious felony assult charge than a misdemenor pot charge. i have had a pardon for 6 months, believe me, they don't care. i need a us entry waiver. How do you know about Haole?
Old 08-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I know they do take those drug charges a little more seriously.
What is Haole?
Old 08-25-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
the only ways I know of getting deported from hawaii are either being obnoxious haoli or just obnoxious.

you'll need the whole harness, up to and including EVERYTHING in the engine area- engine wiring, battery wiring, headlights, etc.
I was assuming that you were familiar with the hawaii culture
Old 08-25-2008, 03:36 PM

Hhaha, actually now that i look at it, that was posted by a different member. my bad.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Ahh yes! haole... person from the mainland... I missed the reference since we was talking about pardons lol... there is no pardon for an obnoxious haole lol...
Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 PM

Actually all i did in Hawaii was Build houses, and on the weekends i would go spearfishing with my buddy. We would take these long 4x4 trails down to the ocean and shoot fish all weekend. My wife is local so I would always bring fish down for the o'hana and the local brada's. It is a good life. Can't wait to get back