Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SOS - Clutch Problems - 5 speed Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash319
Denial gets expensive dude.......��
I think you're misreading my statement. The truck doesn't have a clutch return spring nor the correct rod to lock the pedal to the MC . I wanted to make sure I bought the right one. I know the trans is going to come out this weekend and I'm going to check the throwout bearing. Pressure plate and clutch assembly.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm late to the party but what you are describing doesn't sound like a hydraulic issue.

If the hydraulics were bad, you would be stuck in gear and pushing the pedal wouldn't create enough slip to get you out of gear.

You said from a stop, in reverse, pedal out, and you were slipping and smoking the clutch.

I would say you have either the wrong clutch or improper installation.

It's going to be tough looking at it to determine if this is the wrong clutch. You can verify part numbers.

Did you check the stamp on the friction disk that says either "flywheel side" or something similar?

When you bolted up the pressure plate, did the spring fingers start to flatten out?

Once the pressure plate was bolted up, could you turn the alignment tool?

Smoking a brand new clutch isn't great for its longevity. Depending on how bad you burned it, you may be buying another clutch kit.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Somehow I don't think thats going to fix it, unless you are holding something back. That looks like your pedal assembly was incomplete.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by skypilot
Somehow I don't think thats going to fix it, unless you are holding something back. That looks like your pedal assembly was incomplete.
Thanks guys for the assistance. Subscribe to the thread and I'll update with pics and specific of how everything is inside the trans and truck when I tear into this weekend. While we are discussing incorrect parts and such you saw previously where i said that i got the transmission from a 1988 4runner with a 3vze that means the trans is a r150f with a v1fa transfer case. Now everything I read said that this is 100% compatible with my 94 sr5 4runner *3vze*
Would the fact that I ordered all the manual parts from rock auto for a 94 4runner manual trans make a difference ?
Old 08-17-2016, 07:23 PM

I bought the flywheel from Auto Zone.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash319
When you put the pressure plate on did you have to tighten the bolts against the spring pressure? There should have been tension on the bolts when tightening down.
I think this is the problem. You have the wrong clutch assembly, and maybe even are missing the pilot bearing. I have a correct clutch assembly from my dead 3vze 4runner and I know for a fact it works. its a 1,200lb unit from Marlin. I also have a 1988 r150f and the vf1a chain drive case. To a rare 22re bell housing I got from DeathCougar long time ago.

I can tell you that you will have issues.

Your transfer case has driveshaft bolts that are made of unobtainium. Best to call Marlin with the CC in hand.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by skypilot
I think this is the problem. You have the wrong clutch assembly, and maybe even are missing the pilot bearing. I have a correct clutch assembly from my dead 3vze 4runner and I know for a fact it works. its a 1,200lb unit from Marlin. I also have a 1988 r150f and the vf1a chain drive case. To a rare 22re bell housing I got from DeathCougar long time ago.

I can tell you that you will have issues.

Your transfer case has driveshaft bolts that are made of unobtainium. Best to call Marlin with the CC in hand.
I used the clutch kit that covers 88-95 4runners. If thats the wrong one then Which one do I need to order ? Also I installed a brand new pilot bearing.
Somethings is for sure messing up so I'll take lots of pictures when I get it apart.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:57 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Pulling the application guide for Aisin clutches, per your picture, you are using a CTX-094 pressure plate. Aisin lists that as the clutch for a 2.4l Turbo Diesel.

Both the '88 donor and '95 rig use an Aisin CKT-016.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by fierohink
Pulling the application guide for Aisin clutches, per your picture, you are using a CTX-094 pressure plate. Aisin lists that as the clutch for a 2.4l Turbo Diesel.

Thank You for that information. That means rock auto have caused me pain and suffering haha. I'll give them a call and see if they will send the right one to me, or at least give me my money back and I'll go marlin crawler.

I'll still upload pictures of the break down if any of you guys are interested.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
So was your clutch plate packed wrong The wrong Item Picked

The wrong Kit some how ordered ??

I have had that happen on Rock Auto`s Web Site

Order the correct # the wrong part and wrong # on the packing slip.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:05 PM
osv

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
it looks to me like that CTX-094 part number cross-references a whole bunch of things, including a 1994 3.0 toyota surf(albeit "closed off road", whatever that is) http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/6993703/...ml#application

i run a clutch disc/pressure plate on my 22re that's listed for 22re turbo use, because it's a slightly bigger diameter(??)... i got everything from marlin; the fact that it's a factory part number listed for a turbo doesn't automatically eliminate it for naturally aspirated use.

before pulling anything, i'd suggest going back to what skypilot said on the previous page, and the video that the o.p. posted... the way that my toyota works is that there is free play in the short rod that goes between the clutch arm and the slave cylinder, it's a open gap between the end of the rod and the arm.

if there isn't any free play there with everything at rest, the clutch may not be engaging correctly.

if there is a spring attached to the clutch arm, and it's holding the arm against the rod, taking up the gap/free play, it needs to be disconnected to test this.

Last edited by osv; 08-19-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:24 PM

You guys are going to love this absurdity. I contacted Rockauto and they will send me a new clutch kit no problem. I bought that 88' slave from auto zone thought I would try it out bc its shorter than the Aisin by little. The truck does the same thing with the clutch being dropped except this time I'm under the truck watching the drive shaft turn and the rear diff not turn.

The reason for that is Marlin Crawler SENT ME THE WRONG PARTS I ordered a triple drilled differential flange to accommodate the 5 speed drive shaft bolt pattern and instead they send me a transfer case flange..... Almost trashed my pinion gear threading and splines.

With the old flange on I can turn the rear by hand, but thats not engine load. Lets hope the splines weren't damaged to the point that they won't hold on. So until I sort this out with Marlin Crawler I'm not going to rip the trans out just yet, I have school and work during the week anyway.

Pics below for you enjoyment.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:29 PM

Update- Marlin Crawler sent me a new flange free of charge due to them sending me the incorrect one. It will be here according to Fedex on the 8/25/

So fix the pinion flange issue.
Connect the drive shaft.
Test the Shorter length slave cylinder

IF these steps still fail * I fully expect them to*

Trans comes out. Throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate and all that go back to rock auto and they send me the correct one hopefully.

I really appreciate all the assistance and ideas you guys have brought towards the issue I've been dealing with.