Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

this is so depressing...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats the difference between the 2 hg's(oem and rock)

i know if you get the oem one, its an updated version.

anyone got a pic of a rock headgasket, curious how much different it looks from the oem one i used on my 22r
Old 08-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
I think all is well and everything's going just peachy, something has to jump up and kick me in the @$$
Read bottom of my sig.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:37 PM

Dont feel bad bleeder, I was never going to mention this but I got my truck running last tuesday and when I put the radiator in and started filling it with coolant I noticed that water was running down the sides of the block I thought it was a hose but it was the head gasket. I was so pissed I havent even started this thing yet and already I have to take it apart. My dad was helping me and he asked me what I was going to do. I told there was no way in hell I was going to replace the gasket without hearing it run. I took the valve cover off and retorqued the head bolts to 75ftlbs. The leaks stopped and the truck runs great now. I'm using a stock head that was milled but not enough to worry about, it could be the head dowls or it could be the head gasket quality.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:13 PM

well I now have a 1000 miles on my rebuild with engnbldr parts and so far runs great. one thing I did notice is, you have to oil the threads and underneath the head of the bolts for the head. If you don't they drag where the bolt head meets the head and gives you a incorrect torque reading. Also I talked to Ted and he said it was a good idea to retorque the head bolts after 100 to 500 miles. I did it at about 100 miles and was able to get abot an 1/8 to 1/4 turn to get them to proper setting. Just some pointsfor when you redo your head gasket.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sh0kk86
whats the difference between the 2 hg's(oem and rock)

i know if you get the oem one, its an updated version.

anyone got a pic of a rock headgasket, curious how much different it looks from the oem one i used on my 22r
here's a ROCK HEAD GASKET

Got any of the Toyota HEAD GASKET so we can all compair?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:58 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Bleeder stuff happens dont trip , now you can do it with your eyes closed and super quick.

When I did my 22re last year the same thing happened to me, but i used cheap gaskets , that wasnt the problem I did not clean the headbolt holes right and there was alot of silicone in the holes when i took it apart to re do it.
I used a cheap gasket again but cleaned the holes I also reused the headbolts , I was told not to. But the motor has 35,000 miles on the cheap gasket and used headbolts and the things still running great.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Yep .. same problems .. 2 times now . (2 Different engines)
2 kits from EB and BOTH head gaskets gone .. all with in 5K

replaced with OE gasket .....

and BOTH engines are running strong and NO leaks ... NO "come backs"

as far as replacing under warrenty .. Ted was willing to help , but I had to send back the old one , and then pay shipping again to me in Canada .. It was NO even worth my time to do so , so I just replace with OE

My "personal" recomendation .. either OE .. or MLS .

Last edited by slacker; 08-10-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 PM

Just a suggestion, maybe you should recheck the torque on those head bolts.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 PM

i retorqued mine a couple hundred after breakin, then again at a couple thousand.\

the rock hg appears to have the metal rings laying ontop of the gasket surface from the pic.

the oem looks to be sunk in and flush with the surface.

Last edited by sh0kk86; 08-10-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hm..i havent had any problems with my rock gasket either???..

and i've never heard anything bad about them until now..

i know if i have to tear this damn thing apart to replace the headgasket...im gonna be one po'ed M@#$#@ F!@#@#!!!!!

and ted will NOT be happy...

im still using the stock headbolts on my 22r...not one problem so far..and was told by all the shops around these parts that its ok..so i did..and never had any problems...the guy who rebuilt mine rebuilt a toyota 22r out of an '83 and its still running around..on the SAME rebuild...with the STOCK heabolts...the guy rebuilt it at around 150,000 due to some odd reason..and it has over 300,000 on the odo now...he used the cheapest gaskets and parts he could find..lol

im gonna keep a VERY close eye on my headgasket from now on..everyday..

im about to do the 500mile oil change..and re-torque the headbolts..and check my valves..and probably put in my electric fan

o yea..i did have a problem with the front main seal...but for some reason??..i had 2 of them in my rebuild kit from engnbldr..so i had a spare right there..lol..as of right now...i have no leaks on my motor..except for my t-stat housing leak..its been leaking for about a year now..and doesnt leak enough to fix it..lol..

sorry about the long thread bleeder!to your motor..for its beauty!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 02:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
well out of the motors iv rebuilt so far iv always had something leak the first time running it, although that is an hell of an place to have an leak, i feel for ya but at least everything is clean, if it were me i would probably drop the header lift the head with the intake attached and replace the head gasket, that is a real bummer though i feel for ya, if it makes you feel any better my toy has recently developed an oil leak i have to get too soon

Last edited by Ezrider_92356; 08-11-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
that sucks man, im doin the same crap now, had to redo my head 3 times now, im looking for a head as of now ( i brokeded my BRAND NEW one) hopefully you can re-torque and be good to go!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I kinda know how you feel. Its not a head gasket on a 22RE but. . .I replaced the fuel injectors on my 3VZE, started it up, and had a weird idle problem; different from before I replaced them. Took it in, got it fixed, took it to another shop to fix my rear axle, picked it up from them, and my truck was having yet another idle problem! Less than 10 miles and it had 3 different idle problems. It sucks to do something and still have problems.

Hope you can get it fixed quickly! And good luck on the apartment/condo hunt
Old 08-11-2009, 05:18 AM

Man Bleeder that sucks, I feel for ya, but hang in there. You thought about using FEL-PRO?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I do feel your pain I have the same kind of luck.
You'll get it, but I'd re torque the bolts and see what that does for you...worth a shot.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:09 AM

the head bolts are not tty so you can reuse them again.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Dude~

Believe me when I say I FEEL YOUR PAIN; been there, done that.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, that has to be one of the worst feelings ever. I had a similar issue when doing the timing chain on my 22re 4runner.

got it all backtogether and it started to pour coolant out. had to tear it back down to the timing cover and fix the cooling bypasstube leak...

Did you re-torque your headbolts at all??
Old 08-11-2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by SandDamaged
Just a suggestion, maybe you should recheck the torque on those head bolts.
x2..

when we replaced the heads on a nissan they had to be tq'ed to X then to Xx unblot them and then back to Xx then to XX. i dont remember the numbers but had to do it in that order. but i get it preps the gasket in such a fashion that it wont leak.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
wow slacker, it must just be a red motor thing

I pulled the valve cover off today to try and retorque the head bolts; all were steady at 58 ft/lbs... so I readjusted and put them at 65... I mean afterall wth, what in the world could I do, pinch the gasket and cause a leak

also re-adjusted the valves again. for some reason I just can't make them quiet up by using the FSM's reccommended .008 and .012 clearances, so I just did it the same way I've done every motor in the past and clearanced them by feel of hand and they're noticably quieter!

I even got into fixing my stubborn exhaust leak at the block off plate at the header

oh and I noticed one other thing today... it looks like my rear main is leaking too I guess I'll try to dive in and slide the trans back and ready-sleeve it... which I almost considered doing during the rebuild...