86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Skid plate for 2nd gen with 2" lift...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Skid plate for 2nd gen with 2" lift...

i need to know if there is one out there. i am about to purchase a OME 2" HD lift kit and TRD 16" wheels, and rolling on 33x11.5 Mud Grapplers, leaving me at 11" of ground clearance. so what i need to know, where can i get a new skid plate to fit my soon-to-be lifted Surf?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a bracket lift? Downey sells them, but I'm not sure how much. BTW, got a link to this lift? I'm curious as to how it works. 2" seems pretty reasonable, I've never liked the 4" ones.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Does the OME kit contain parts to drop your differential down?

If not you dont need a new skid plate.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

ya sure, http://www.rocky-road.com/4runner.html im going with the 2nd choice for the Complete OME Suspension:
Includes F & R shocks, Torsion bars, Rear springs,
Steering Dampener

its only $845us so better for mecause my money is in Canada still!
Old 11-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

suspension lift
Old 11-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

oh, maybe i dont need a new skid plate, i mustbe thinking of a body lift...im to much of a newbie atsuspension lifts...
Old 11-08-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get the lift here from TRDParts4U.com, it is the same thing but cheaper and you don't need torsion bars, balljoint spacers are much better
http://trdparts4u.com/PD-4RUNNER-OPT....aspx?MakeID=1
Old 11-08-2007, 02:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 95RunnerSR5
get the lift here from TRDParts4U.com, it is the same thing but cheaper and you don't need torsion bars, balljoint spacers are much better
http://trdparts4u.com/PD-4RUNNER-OPT....aspx?MakeID=1
X2 go with them
Old 11-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
You only need a different skid plate it you:

A. drop the differential
B. want somthing stronger

any torsion bar adjustment/lift or a body lift does not require a different skid plate.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:50 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A "stock" one will work, but isn't worth much for protection. Get a real skidplate from www.budbuilt.com
Old 11-08-2007, 04:01 PM

Agreed, Bud makes good stuff, I've had a truck teetering on one of his crossmembers before and it didn't budge. Also if you are going OME talk to Kurt at www.cruiseroutfitters.com . I am saying this because that guy has INCREDIBLE customer service IME and from what I can see, also good pricing.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

so 845us for all those things is NOT a good deal? cause i want to replace what i can cause i dont know how often i will be able to get things from the states in the future. i mean, it doesnt hurt to replacethem, keep the still good ones for the future. and i want a suspension lift, i feel better with that than something im not as farmiliar with. so if you can get me Front and rear shocks, coils, steering dampner and torsion bas for cheaper and from OME, please let me know.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
generally, you will get more offroad performance by going with bj spacers and stock tbars rather than getting aftermarket tbars for lift.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:29 AM

FYI, Rocky Road has a BAD rep on most forums...
Old 11-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

whats the amount of work involved with BJ spacers? im not looking for some hardcore performance, i just want to be as stock as i can keep it, and with new suspension, i would be ok with it. in fac, what are BJ spacers? what do they do, are they just a body lift? cause im just looking for something to add a small lift so no other work is involved. if it is less work to buy spacers and 4 shocks, and coils, and a dampner, then ill go with that, but i want to know, is it cheaper to go with bj spacers, if so...why? there must be a reason, is it not the more expensive the better resuts?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Squiddy
FYI, Rocky Road has a BAD rep on most forums...
really! thats good to know, so do you know of a place that offers the same or better prices for the same package?
Old 11-09-2007, 07:18 AM

If you check out www.sdori.com there are install instructions as well as vendors who bundle our stuff into kits like the one you are looking at.

New torsion bars really come down to how stiff do you want the front suspension. Typically, we want more flex which is what you will get with spacers and stock bars. However, in the event you do a lot of high speed wheeling, jumping, etc... that is one case where stiffer bars are good. Now you might check though, I *think* the OME bars are softer than stock? This is not bad if you want more flex, just have to be sure of what you want your truck to do.

Frank
Old 11-09-2007, 07:23 AM

Also, to address the price, it is likely the spacer is less than the torsion bar and it is certainly less to ship than the heavier larger torsion bar.

Here's the deal, the ball joint spacers will increase your suspension travel and flex, adjusting the torsion bars will not. You can adjust t-bars right now for 1.5" of lift but have very little if any down travel left. That's not helpful on the trail nor is it good for ride quality. With the spacers, you can lift 1.5" and retain the down travel. That and other reasons make the ride quality with the spacers much much better than it is when you just crank up the torsion bars.

Also, should you find you want a stiffer ride later, you can always add the torsion bars down the road although it is not common for people to want to stiffen the ride.

Frank
Old 11-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

ok, which is easier to install? is it safer than a t bar crank? is there some website that i can order Bj spacers and comes with 4 shocks, coils, dampner? i want to change it all, and i dont want to have to order so many different things, i just want a good set, and OME seems to have a good record and good in DAKAR-Paris rally. i like the color sceme. so please, tell me if there is any. ok and these bjspacers, whats the life on them? as long as the vehicle? 1 million kms? im looking for something that i can order in one shot, at a good price, i dont care about shipping, its free for most things for a certain weight or price. i just want a good lift to fit 33" tires. i dont care about how stiff the ride is after. but thanks for the info, i might order from you. we'll seewhat happens.

Last edited by Belize Off Road Team; 11-09-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:37 AM

BORT-
The issue here is really the reliability of the dealer - ie will they send you all the parts at once, do they really have them in stock, etc... MUCH more important than absolute price. I used Slee OffRoad, had fairly good results (minor glitch with missing bushing). There are a number of other reliable folks listed in build pages here. Also, the ARB folks in Seattle are great to deal with (I dealt with:
Marc Bowers
Tech Supervisor
Air Locker, Inc.
425-264-1391
720 SW 34th St.
Renton, WA 98057
Marc@arbusa.com)

Quick Reply: Skid plate for 2nd gen with 2" lift...