86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Several Problems with my 3.0, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several Problems with my 3.0, worth it?

I'll start out by saying this vehicle is my main source of transportation atm and I am considering either fixing it or just a crappy trade in to get rid of it. Its a '95 4runner and I have been experiencing several problems with it that seem to have come at the same time.

My engine has started to make a strange clicking noise when the engine runs and it responds also when I press the gas, getting faster and louder. I also have an oil leak to the point that I have to put more oil in about every month or 3 weeks. Its coming from the rear gasket but not sure the extent you would have to go to, to get get it fixed.

The other night it started acting up even more. It does not start immediately. I will turn the key... nothing at all, turn the key... nothing at all, turn the key... starts. I guess its my plugs I haven't had time to check into it.

I also have to replace a window due to the fact that someone liked my CD player enough to break in.

My gas mileage is also being a POS, about 10 MPG, no hefty modifications in suspension or engine. I just hit 170k miles about a week ago and I am wanting something else. And it is really draining my paycheck due to the fact I work part time and go to college.

I am considering just trying to get rid of it for like 1500 and putting a down payment on a new car like a mazda 3 or something that kicks ass on gas mileage but at the same time is not very expensive.

What are yalls opinions on what I should do about the situation? Do I sell it as is or should I get some work done and trade it in. Not very experienced in this field as to what would be the smartest decision so any comments would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well consider your options. i think if you are thinking of buying a new car, and have the money to make monthly payments, that you have the money to fix your runner.

about the gaskets, is there any smoke comming out the tail when you drive?

10mpg! dang, what filters and oil are you running. get some good stuff, and your truck will love you for it. i get about 14-15. still not great, but not "hummer status".

sounds like you need some work, and some tlc for that thing. if you wanna zip and go fast, and pay 400 bucks a month, go for it. if you want the runner for reliablility, and no payments, do that too. up to you.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:24 AM

no scrap the 3.0 and put in a 3.4
Old 12-16-2007, 11:52 AM

A good tuneup should help with the MPG. The ticking could be anything. Can you narrow it down more? 3.0 have noisy injectors or you could have noisy lifters but those usually quiet once the engine has been running a little bit. Try a thicker oil and see if that helps with the noise. If the truck is paid off and you like it then keep it. There is always the 3.4 option in the future.
Where is the oil leak? Rear seal? You'll have to drop the tranny to fix that but you have to narrow it down to an exact spot to be sure.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
why not fix it, and buy something like a corolla for a DD. you can get em for dirt cheap, and they're just as reliable as these trucks are, but get 30+ mpg
Old 12-16-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have to imagine that you off-road it since your a member here. DO you really wanna give that up in favor of a Mazda? I'm in much of the same situation that you are. I work and go to school. It can be a pain, but you can do it. Just keep the 4Runner and get a little DD. That way, you don't have to drive the 4Runner every day and you can have the best of both worlds with two different vehicles. $1500 to lose your 4Runner, to me, wouldn't be worth it. I'm making payments of $310/mo on my Tundra, and its really not held me back a whole lot financially. If you can work something out, I'd say do it that way. You can always sell your runner later if you really want to.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:31 PM

Infiltrator, thats actually one of the symptoms I forgot to add, after startup its really rough for like 10 seconds then starts with the smoke out of the tailpipe.

In my mind a 3.4 swap is out of the picture, I would rather upgrade to a 3rd gen then going through a swap.

I do not really have any time to off road at all, since none of my friends share the common interest. I may sell this then get a great DD car then save up for something like a yota, but getting a more comfortable and affordable DD is my main goal right now.