Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
HOLY CRAP James Dean!
That thing is beautiful!
Great work!
Old 07-10-2009, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
i think i might spray it instead of roll it

but i will probably use the same rustoleum paint..but with a roller isnt it going to be THICK coats..like each time..while if you spray it its going to be a few thin coats???

i want the paint to be durable..which i know the rustoleum is..and so is the epifane stuff...and that same with interlux

i want a nice dark mineral grey..and it will have to be DURABLE (emphasis on DURABLE!!!!!)..now i know nothing is going to stand up to a 2in rock hitting it at 85mph..but still..the paint on my truck right now doesn't hold up to a small pebble at 25mph...lol

can you spray the epifane or interlux out of a gun???...

doing the roller job seems to be WAAYYYY to much work..with all the sanding and what not

and if i can paint it with a gun why not do that instead of doing the roll-on stuff...when i do paint it..i'll be prepping for a few days..bondo-ing and fixing small dents and dings as well as sanding the remaining clear-coat off..then i will lay down 2 coats of primer..with a little light sanding after each coat..then probably 3 coats of color (likely dark mineral grey..but maybe bleach white)..and do i need to sand and wetsand after each coat of paint?????????and then i will do probably 2 coats of clear...maybe 3..lol and would i need to sand or wetsand the clear???
Incorrect, the key to the roll on method is very LIGHT coats. You mix the paint with a mineral spirit until it's a "milky" substance. You then use very light coats with a high density foam roller and roll on the car. Between each coat you wet sand, with each coat you use a higher grit. Yes, it is more work than a spray gun. If you have the tools already then I would say spray.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Banned

ok guys...so i was spray paintin my hood gloss black (2 coats and it looks great..but im doin 4 coats instead..lol) and got to thinkin what all it would take to paint the whole truck..not with spray paint of course..

so i got to looking at guns and i can get 2 guns for $60..both HVLP and one is a 20oz and the other is a 4.5oz..

i'll be getting some of the more major defects out of the body before i paint it..as i want this to look GOOOOD...

paint is where im stuck at thought..idk what paint would be best...i want either jet black...bleach white..or like a dark mineral gray..i dont want to pay a lot just for paint.but if the stuff is good i will spend a little..lol

i already know HOW to paint..i just dont know where to get my supplies at..or like mixing paints..reducing them..all that kind of stuff...so i want something thats relatively easy to spray..

i looked at the Dupli-Color paint shop stuff..it seems ok..but i think i could do better than that..LOL

i guess im wanting to see peoples rigs they painted themselves..what kind of gun you used..and what kind of paint..
Dude seriously, you keep talking about the "deepest darkest black paint job" for freaking ever, probably atleast two years, not trying to bash you, just paint your truck with some cheap paint and a sprayer in your garage, Its a TRUCK and its like twenty something years old.. When they built Rome I done even think they talked about it this much.

Here's Krylon Ultra Flat Black @ $4.XX a can...

Old 07-10-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
x2 on rattle can.... this is with 99 cent flat black form wal mart, i painted over it with krylon tho but i dont have any pics

Last edited by yoder519; 07-10-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want the paint to be durable..which i know the rustoleum is..and so is the epifane stuff...and that same with interlux

i want a nice dark mineral grey..and it will have to be DURABLE (emphasis on DURABLE!!!!!)..now i know nothing is going to stand up to a 2in rock hitting it at 85mph..but still..the paint on my truck right now doesn't hold up to a small pebble at 25mph...lol
4 words, Roll-on Bed Liner (ok, so its 4 if roll-on isn't a conjunction) anyways...
Had a friend that did a new paint job and the bottom 5-6 inches of the truck, he did the roll on bed liner (like rhino line or line-x) and the thing doesn't scratch and resists a lot of dings. You want durable?...you get durable!
Old 07-10-2009, 06:41 PM

rattle can

Old 07-10-2009, 07:16 PM

the best picture i have of mine. painted with some camo paint from homedepot, and i redid the stripes in semi-gloss black engine paint. when the green starts to fade, i just wipe it down with some wd40.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well now i thought about doing effin rattle cans..i would love to do it with rattle cans...but you CAN tell a rattle can job apart from a spray gun job...or at least i can..i've sprayed body panels for some guys before and they turned out GREAT...however i cannot get this damn gloss black on my hood to come out lookin good..you can see all kinds of stuff..like the strokes of the can..the over spray..it just doesnt seem to give the results a gun does..and im more than likely going to use the spray gun with some rustoleum paints..but i just dont know which color..like i said im torn between gloss black, gloss white, and mineral grey..

i know white hides scratches and dents probably the best of any color..and i know black shows them the worst...but idk bout the mineral grey

Highway wat kind of paint and gun did you use???

and no..im not going with another flat anycolor truck..lol.i want this to be really glossy..lolim thinkin mineral grey???with like 3 coats o clear..LMAO

and nobody answered the question about having to sand or not after each coat of paint (with a gun) and what about the clear??..
Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by BoostinChick
$5o paint job with a roller - not mine but really good work

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

That's a great thread. We need Tremclad in the USA.

I bought Interlux Brightside boat paint to roller it on. Yellow.

Last edited by phildelfino; 07-10-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:21 PM

well now i thought about doing effin rattle cans..i would love to do it with rattle cans...but you CAN tell a rattle can job apart from a spray gun job...or at least i can..i've sprayed body panels for some guys before and they turned out GREAT...however i cannot get this damn gloss black on my hood to come out lookin good..you can see all kinds of stuff..like the strokes of the can..the over spray..it just doesnt seem to give the results a gun does..and im more than likely going to use the spray gun with some rustoleum paints..but i just dont know which color..like i said im torn between gloss black, gloss white, and mineral grey..

if you dont use an even pattern with overlapping passes it will turn out streaky when using most all glossy spray paints. wetsanding with scotch brite pads afterwards then buffing always helps too. you CAN always tell a bad spraycan job.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i'll be painting the 2by (again) this week.... this time i'll get more than 1 coat down before having to drive it again..

i'm using the interlux brightside boat paint. dark blue.

pics to follow later
Old 07-10-2009, 11:41 PM

god shes changed..
Old 07-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yoder519
x2 on rattle can.... this is with 99 cent flat black form wal mart, i painted over it with krylon tho but i dont have any pics

Nice. Its not splotchy, do anything special to it?
Old 07-11-2009, 07:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nope i just sanded it down, primed and painted it.
hey camo you took your hood off to paint it right? mine is striped bad cuz i didnt take mine off. bu tit dont bother me
Old 07-11-2009, 08:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
idk..i might rattle can it and do some wetsanding..of course then it would take like fricken 20 cans..lol..

i do use an over lapping pattern it took a whole can of rustoleum (the 33% more can too) to give the hood 2 coats..now when i laid down the second coat it looks ALOT better than the first..(hood as already black though) and i might lay down a 3rd coat to see how it comes out...i guess i'll test my ideas and tricks on the hood...if i like it i'll do the whole truck..

i'll wetsand the second coat then lay down a 3rd...

look at TrustyRusty's second pic...look at the top of the fender..you can EASILY tell thats a spray can job...

thats what im trying to stay away from...that look
Old 07-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Painted mine with Rustoleum Royal Blue and a High density Foam Roller. Just under $50 for materials. I followed that write-up linked to the orange mopar.
Attached Thumbnails Self-Painted rigs-103_4346.jpg  
Old 07-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Banned

Actually I only posted one picture?
Old 07-11-2009, 11:00 AM

Highway wat kind of paint and gun did you use???
I used dupont chromobase bc/cc on my black 89

the taco i used ppg , both sprayed with a cheap $80 EVO-4014 HVLP gun .

Last edited by highway; 07-11-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by phildelfino
That's a great thread. We need Tremclad in the USA.

I bought Interlux Brightside boat paint to roller it on. Yellow.
We do it is called Rustoleum
Old 07-11-2009, 12:28 PM

toyospearo, ive wanted that fj40 dune beige color for so long now. whered you find it?

Quick Reply: Self-Painted rigs