86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SAS- smallest lift possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SAS- smallest lift possible?

Not actually doing SAS, but I'm curious how low you can go with SAS. Many of the twisty mountain roads around here would be great for a Triumph TR6, but not a lifted 4Runner.

It seems to me that the lift is needed to clear the cross-over steering, is this correct?
Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes 3 inch lift to clear cross over. BUT you can swap in a stock 85 steeringbox and do the swap stock height it would be about a inch taller though because of the frame!
Old 03-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hum.....

From what i have seen from stock SFA's the flex isn't awesome.. Seems like it would be a ton of money for something that doesn't go as well as an aftermarket kit....

(Hell im probably wrong on Stock flex, but everyone i have seen isn't very great, but then again its 20+ years of sag so thats probably why.. )
Old 03-25-2009, 01:37 PM

putting in a stock 85 steering system would be a major downgrade from your currwnt setup
Old 03-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by LTrunner
putting in a stock 85 steering system would be a major downgrade from your currwnt setup
Exactly. It is night and day differenc between the stock 79-85 push pull set up vs. and SA with a quicker ratio IFS box and high steer.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:22 PM

I am thinking about doing a sas with OME springs. They are supposed to flex and ride pretty good. I am thinking that between the 2" spring lift and the 1" from the hanger that I should make it to the 3" that everybody says you need for hi steer. Also I think I will be able to save money by doing this because I already have 4.88s and 33's so I won't have to regear, or buy bigger tires. Also from what I have read stock SFA front drive shafts should work for this amount of lift with no modification, another money saver. Now, I haven't tried this yet and I am still doing my research, but this is what my latest plan for my truck is. I won't actually be starting this until about July or August, so when I get started I will let you know.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by 88toypickup
I am thinking about doing a sas with OME springs. They are supposed to flex and ride pretty good. I am thinking that between the 2" spring lift and the 1" from the hanger that I should make it to the 3" that everybody says you need for hi steer. Also I think I will be able to save money by doing this because I already have 4.88s and 33's so I won't have to regear, or buy bigger tires. Also from what I have read stock SFA front drive shafts should work for this amount of lift with no modification, another money saver. Now, I haven't tried this yet and I am still doing my research, but this is what my latest plan for my truck is. I won't actually be starting this until about July or August, so when I get started I will let you know.
Is it 3" total lift to clear, or 3" lift springs?

Is running a front swaybar common? I suppose one could compensate for the lift partially with a really stiff swaybar and fit quick discos.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:00 PM

Don't forget to add a little to your guesstimated lift hieght for a longer shackle. If you use to short it will hit the frame & the spring wont have the room to stretch out causing the spring to "S" out. A leaf spring will get longer as its compressed. A shackle can add up to an inch in ride hieght. I tried to stay low on my SAS.

Last edited by 4roamer; 03-25-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:21 PM

the lowest one i know of is on 33's, tofer maybe? but the other big problem is the oil pan but you can use a 2wd pan to gain clearance there
Old 03-25-2009, 06:38 PM

you could link it
Old 03-25-2009, 07:08 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Two things:
- If you truly need a SAS, the truck will not be a canyon carver anyways
- You have to balance ride height with compression travel. Just making it as low as humanly possible will minimize your compression travel and deprive you of the benefits of the SAS you worked so hard on.

Molly's rig is one of the lowest out there, but once the engine is in, we will be working on getting more compression travel.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Two things:
- You have to balance ride height with compression travel. Just making it as low as humanly possible will minimize your compression travel and deprive you of the benefits of the SAS you worked so hard on.

Molly's rig is one of the lowest out there, but once the engine is in, we will be working on getting more compression travel.
Don't need it at all, I am just curious as a technical challenge. IFS works well for what I do, and I'm not breaking parts. My gets me where I want to go and is reliable as it is now- and that is important on my fishing adventures when I'm a day's walk from the nearest person/phone/vehicle. A front locker would be far more appropriate for my application than a front solid axle.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Two things:

How much lift is she running from stock?

This thing is 3" lift over stock
Old 03-25-2009, 07:54 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Something like 3", but it's bumpstopped all to hell, primarily to keep the highsteer out of the oilpan. It just needs to be gone through and brought up to current state of the art.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Something like 3", but it's bumpstopped all to hell, primarily to keep the highsteer out of the oilpan. It just needs to be gone through and brought up to current state of the art.
Seems like 3" is the lowest you can go without running into a LOT of problems.

I'll be running around 3" of lift when i swap mine, and I am keeping the stock link setup in the rear.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:48 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
you guys dont think a stock 85 can flex well???

Old 03-26-2009, 01:49 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
God, i miss that truck...

if anybody knows its whereabouts let me know...
Old 03-26-2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by crolison
Hmm... long travel IFS would likely have that drivers side front wheel on the ground...
... oh, and the other front wheel too.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:08 AM

Maybe think about doing a spring under. It would be very stable. You would have issues with the steering contacting the springs if you go for lower height. You could get a set of custom made springs that would flex real good. I am debating this, it really appeals to me. There is one 4runner that is spring under but i havent seen much detail to the build.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:29 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by space-junk
you guys dont think a stock 85 can flex well???

So are you gonna show pictures of a stock 85 for us to judge your statement on?

Because the truck in those pictures is not stock.

Quick Reply: SAS- smallest lift possible?