86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Roll bar, take it or leave it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
man... its completely shameful...

and to think, i was basing my runner on your truck...

FOR SHAME!!!!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Aww

Don't worry, we havnt seen the last of the roll bar!!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ABC is remaking "The Fall Guy"?
Old 05-09-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LEave it on! I like the look of rollbars in yotas, no matter how useless they are even if you dont have the lights up top, it will still look BA, IMO. Your truck is BA in general, so no matter what it will be BA.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off. Simple as that.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replace it with a much more useful and better looking black truck box.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rusche
Replace it with a much more useful and better looking black truck box.
I was looking at buying a toolbox. I dont have much room inside the cab, and now that Im finally adding a sub, room is becoming scarce...

I could mount dual batteries in there too!

Decisions....decisions....
Old 05-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
I was looking at buying a toolbox. I dont have much room inside the cab, and now that Im finally adding a sub, room is becoming scarce...

I could mount dual batteries in there too!

Decisions....decisions....
now that's a good idea

a low profile might look a little better, but then I wouldn't be able to fit my gallon jugs of water and antifreeze standing up in it either

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-10-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

I love that setup Bleeder

It would be really nice to be able to carry around all that stuff, without it going EVERYWHERE.

Hows the useable bed space like now?
Old 05-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay351
I love that setup Bleeder

It would be really nice to be able to carry around all that stuff, without it going EVERYWHERE.

Hows the useable bed space like now?
thanks

the bed space is still fine for me, as I don't really haul all that much stuff; never really had to

but I still manage to carry everything that's needing, for camping trips and such

plenty of room to fit the "crew" for a quick fishing trip

and ample room for supplies for a day on the trail

Old 05-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

That looks decent... I don't use my truck to haul often, but when I do, its really loaded up...
Old 05-10-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i also say LEAVE IT OFF. those types of roll bars don't really do that much in a 'real' rollover because they are attached to sheet metal. they might protect a little bit, but not enough to justify taking up that much space as well as looking straight up 80's style. personally, if it were my choice, i'd go with a headache bar/lumber/ladder rack type thing right there. that way it actually has a function instead of just looks. this way, you can get a removable one to match in the rear of the bed and will be able to put things on top like plywood or a 10-12' piece of moulding or pvc pipe without it going through your back window, hehehe. with the headache/lumber rack you can also mount your lights on if you desire it.

for my truck i'm planning on adding the same type of headache/lumber rack that will work with my truck box - which is probably the best addition i've put on any of my trucks. you asked about bed space with a truck box and it is not that bad; it's the same as a quad cab tacoma. my box leaves about 3/4 of the length and does not go all the way down to the bottom, giving me around 8" underneath it. my box also has "3-stepped" sides which allows me to reach my arm between the box and bed to access the anchor points in the corners of the bed. and if i need the full bed for whatever reason, i've got mine rigged for easy removal. truck box also provides a nice weatherproof box that is lockable.

good luck!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I REALLY Like the look of a decent roll bar. But there are some really crummy looking ones out there. Your's looks good! But I would run more lights on top. Just mount a piece of flat stock between the existent mounts and drill holes in it. : ) I know roll bars take up a lot of the bed, I found that as soon as I mounted mine. . . But if you don't use the truck ALL the time, it's ok. I also found this tool box that fits inside the bar nicely while keeping the bed usable.

I find this configuration works well for me. I just need to remove the seats that are taking up most of the bed!! lol

Ultimately, you'll like what ever you decide. Or you'll go back to how it was.

Good Luck,
Grant

Last edited by grant526; 05-10-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 03:21 PM

Forget functionality. Everyone knows that 'in the event of a rollover' yes, those roll/lightbars are useless. But the same could be said about brush guards (or baja bars, etc.) that people mount over their stock bumpers. They aren't good for much other than mounting lights, much like the roll/lightbar. If it's just about looks I think they look sweet, especially on the '95 and older trucks.

However...

If you're going to ditch that bar, I do live nearby. 8)
Old 05-10-2009, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by grant526
Personally, I REALLY Like the look of a decent roll bar. But there are some really crummy looking ones out there. Your's looks good! But I would run more lights on top. Just mount a piece of flat stock between the existent mounts and drill holes in it. : ) I know roll bars take up a lot of the bed, I found that as soon as I mounted mine. . . But if you don't use the truck ALL the time, it's ok. I also found this tool box that fits inside the bar nicely while keeping the bed usable.

I find this configuration works well for me. I just need to remove the seats that are taking up most of the bed!! lol

Ultimately, you'll like what ever you decide. Or you'll go back to how it was.

Good Luck,
Grant
No kidding, I saw some Awfull roll bars out there when I was shopping for one.. A friend of mine recomended the same thing with the flat bar. Thats defantly an idea I might use.

I really like that toolbox you have. Fits right in there! Best of both right? I mean, a toolbox pretty much takes up all that room...

I originally wanted to run 4 big lights up there (any recomendations for a light that will work up there?) but with my two hellas I had some issues. The light spilled in from my back window, like alot! The whole back seat is eluminated. I suppose some flat metal could be bolted to the mount to block the light..... Look kinda silly though, no?

Wanna hear something funny? I miss the roll bar already! But I will drive it for awhile without it, see what I think. I really miss having it as sort of a grab handle. To climb in the bed of my truck was a snap. Foot on slider, hand on roll bar then other foot onto the tire

Originally Posted by awareness
Forget functionality. Everyone knows that 'in the event of a rollover' yes, those roll/lightbars are useless. But the same could be said about brush guards (or baja bars, etc.) that people mount over their stock bumpers. They aren't good for much other than mounting lights, much like the roll/lightbar. If it's just about looks I think they look sweet, especially on the '95 and older trucks.

However...

If you're going to ditch that bar, I do live nearby. 8)

totally, the "roll" bar is made of super thin rusty metal. Heck I only bolted it on with 6 big bolts.
I love the way a roll bar looks

hehe, you will have to fight me for it, im not getting rid of it anytime soon.

Last edited by Jay351; 05-10-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:41 PM

Keep it. I've got 5 Daylighters on mine facing front, and 2 utility lights facing to the rear. The utility lights come in handy when loading firewood at night, or after the movies at the drive-in.

My bar is a Smittybuilt, and the light bar is raised above the "roll bar". The only place the light shines where it shouldn't is the side view mirrors.

I'd like to know where you got that toolbox, grant. That could fit in front of my spare.

Last edited by Cyberman; 05-10-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Heh, those reverse lights work great for tailgaters too!!

I love that look of all the lights. I think I should get 4 hella 700ffs for the roof
Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, you guys are making it more difficult to decide if I want to get a 4runner or an ex-cab truck

Both you guys (Jay and Cyberman) have the exact trucks I want

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 05-10-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:48 PM

I like the look of the roll bar with a bunch of lights. Even if it's not particularly practical it looks sweet in my opinion. Course I have a tool box and no light bar so I suppose I'm being slightly hypocritical. That small tool box that Grant526 has is most intriguing.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

rollbars make you this cool

and if your 22re can push you past 80 mph, you might be able to go back to the future too

Quick Reply: Roll bar, take it or leave it?