Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Regeared with 5.29 and a tru trac

Old 09-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regeared with 5.29 and a tru trac

This past weekend I regeared my truck with a tru trac int he front and 5.29 gears. I have a lunchbox locker in the rear that has been in there for four years or so. I did the gears myself and I think I got it right but I am no expert and it is the first time I have done gears. So here is the issue. I have a vibration that occurs, upon decel mostly but seems like it is under power also. It is hard for me to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from because my turbo is rather loud and drowns out the vibration enough so that I cant pinpoint exactly what it sounds like. It does not appears to go away under power and does not seem to go away wen I pull the truck out of gear and coast. Especially when pulling it out of fifth gear and leaving it in neutral and coasting. It almost sounds like it is int he tranny. This is when in four wheel drive. If I take it out of four wheel drive but leave the hubs locked it is much better. I am stumped. It is possible that I botched up the regear. I got a pretty good pattern on the front. I may have committed an major no no but I reused the front crush sleeve. I figured that as little as it is in four wheel drive and the lower speeds that it may not matter. In the back I got a nice pattern. The catch is when I put int he new crush sleeve and torqued it down and got the play out (wow that was hard) I then rechecked the pattern and could not get what I had when I did it without the crush sleeve. I dont think it is the back because it when in two wheel drive it isn't bad. Any thoughts guys. Oh and had rebuild kits with all new bearings etc, Except I had to reuse the front carrier bearings because they are dealer only. still in good shape too. Long winded sorry.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:45 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Reused the crush sleeve?

You COULD get lucky and need more crush with the new gears, but it never works that way for me ... If there's a weak point in Toyota axles, it's that damn crush sleeve. Solid spacers FTW IMHO.

The good thing is that it will probably be easy to tell - see if there is ANY play in the pinion flange.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
Reused the crush sleeve?

You COULD get lucky and need more crush with the new gears, but it never works that way for me ... If there's a weak point in Toyota axles, it's that damn crush sleeve. Solid spacers FTW IMHO.

The good thing is that it will probably be easy to tell - see if there is ANY play in the pinion flange.
I figured I would get some scolding for reusing the crush sleeve in the front. There is no play in the pinion flange. And the new bearings had more taper to them than the old ones So I think it might be ok. I don't use 4 wheel drive all the time. If all els fails I can tear it down and put a new crush sleeve in. I thought maybe it could be the U joints in the front drive shaft.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:53 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, the fact it does it both under power AND coasting is what led me to believe it wasn't u-joint.

U-joints are easy to check though - put a thin prybar in between the yokes and see if there is any play.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

I will check it tonight if I have time. I am not sure it goes away completely but it def improves a ton under power. The truck has alway vibed some on the road with offroad tires and lift etc. Its a truck.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

I didnt get around to checking things out until this afternoon after a bit of wheeling. The U joints seem ok but I noticed some play in the outputs from the tranny for both front and rear drive shafts. Could this cause the vibration.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not saying this is the case, but I've seen it happen when ring and pinions are set too tight, that they'll sometimes get a vibration more pronounced under power than coasting that feels almost like you're driving over the reflectors on the highway, or maybe that annoying wake the F! up grooves they put on the sides of some roads... kinda like taking your index and middle fingers on one hand and tap them on a table as fast as you can, sort of drum-roll style... a fast fluttering. Is that enough description?
Old 09-06-2008, 04:42 PM

never re-use crush sleeves, they even include crush sleeves in set-up kits, so why would you use the old one?
solid pinion spacer is the only way to go...
Old 09-08-2008, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
I'm not saying this is the case, but I've seen it happen when ring and pinions are set too tight, that they'll sometimes get a vibration more pronounced under power than coasting that feels almost like you're driving over the reflectors on the highway, or maybe that annoying wake the F! up grooves they put on the sides of some roads... kinda like taking your index and middle fingers on one hand and tap them on a table as fast as you can, sort of drum-roll style... a fast fluttering. Is that enough description?
Yeah its kind of similar to that. I am pretty sure that the ring and pinions are not too tight. It may just be a combo of a number of things. 4 inch lift so steeper drive shaft angles, plus lower gears, U joints going bad.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:17 AM

Everyone keeps saying solid spacers are the way to go, but can you actually get one for the front?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by axekick
Everyone keeps saying solid spacers are the way to go, but can you actually get one for the front?
they do not have a solid spacer for the ifs front diff with the 7.5 ring gear. Only 8" solid axle third members can use the solid spacer.