86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recirc or fresh,THAT is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recirc or fresh,THAT is the question...

I have never had these options before and now that im back in Minnesota, I'm gonna use the heat MUCH more. Where do I want this setting and why?

Thanks,
Woody
Old 10-31-2013, 01:56 PM

Well fresh brings in air from the outside the cab and recirculate recirculates the air in the cab.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually have all the sliders to the far right. High heat, defrost, fresh, and high power. Recirculate only recirculates the moist air resulting in condensation on the inside of the windows, and fresh air reduces this. If the condensation is really bad, I sometimes use the a/c to act as a dehumidifier.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:43 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you use the recirc, it blows 10x better lol. Toyota always was odd, the fan blower is either ON/OFF thats it basically.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:02 PM

My '86 4Runner blow doesn't work on the lowest setting, I'm sure the resistor pack is busted, but there definitely are differences between the the remaining speeds.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:50 PM

I normally keep mine on fresh simply because I am a smoker, but I do use the recirculate on super cold mornings. If you are a ritual user of recirculate that is fine but do put on fresh every now and again. Our older Toyotas do allow moisture to escape. If you have a newer vehicle however I HIGHLY recommend putting it on fresh air after you park it because mildew will grow on the evaporator and cause a HORRIBLE smell when the ac is turned on.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:06 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buickid
My '86 4Runner blow doesn't work on the lowest setting, I'm sure the resistor pack is busted, but there definitely are differences between the the remaining speeds.
Oh there has always been a difference on the settings, but its very little till you hit high.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:25 PM

I've always wanted to figure out a way to add an electronic speed control instead of the resistors. That way you could have 0-100% power adjustment.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 PM

Recirc till the engine heat is up to temp then switch to fresh.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:56 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Fresh is better for heat

Then on most other vehicles Max AC just puts it in recirculate

It most often states this in the owners manual which most of us never see

Rather then post again I will just add this.

When you have your control set to recirculate the blower motor must run to get any heat.

Set to fresh the air comes from outside through the heater core at all times. When moving

Conducting this test forced me to open the windows and move the heat almost off but it was warm here only in the low forties.

Last edited by wyoming9; 11-02-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
given that most people are running the crappy Toyota exhaust gasket, instead of the vastly superior remflex gasket, i'd say leave it on fresh all the time.

don't want to recirculate exhaust fumes inside the cab, lol
Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 PM

Red face

Please explain How one gets exhaust fumes in the cab when you recirculate the cab air??

I have had methane gas at times but no exhaust fumes

It could happen when pulling in Fresh air like back in the Good Days driving on the New Jersey Turnpike from exit 16 to like exit 10
Old 11-04-2013, 07:42 AM
osv

if it's leaking at the motor or underneath, it'll get into the cab, they are not air tight... i'd like to believe that when the vehicle is moving, fresh air pressurizes the cab to some extent?

you get behind a stinker, maybe fresh air is the wrong choice!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by osv
given that most people are running the crappy Toyota exhaust gasket, instead of the vastly superior remflex gasket, i'd say leave it on fresh all the time.

don't want to recirculate exhaust fumes inside the cab, lol
This is going to the dumbest thing people tell you about cars thread...This one is made for it.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by snobdds
This is going to the dumbest thing people tell you about cars thread...This one is made for it.
x2
Old 11-04-2013, 11:07 AM
osv

it sounds like a joke... until you actually get gassed yourself:

"NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -
A woman and her two young children were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes while riding in the family car on Long Island Thursday, police said.
The woman's husband was behind the wheel of the 1999 Mitsubishi when he noticed that his wife and kids were losing consciousness, police said, so he pulled over in North Amityville the get help....
Police said the car apparently had an exhaust problem and tested high for carbon monoxide, so officers impounded it for a safety check."
Read more: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2293690...#ixzz2ji1f6O8k

in my case, it was a gas line leak in the house, when I was a kid... nearly killed all of us.

so yeah, I don't like recirculate, lol
Old 11-04-2013, 11:48 AM

Red face

Now here in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania it is illegal to drive a motor vehicle with an exhaust leak as well as stupid.

Nor can one have holes in the cab to allow fumes in.

If you have ever been on the LIE during the rush hour I could see that happening all to easy even if the windows were all open
Old 11-04-2013, 12:38 PM
osv

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If you have ever been on the LIE during the rush hour I could see that happening all to easy even if the windows were all open
as a kid, I remember visiting l.a. in the late '60's, the smog was horrible

"How does carbon monoxide from vehicles affect the air we breath? Before catalytic converters, a 1973 medical study found that a 90-minute ride on a Los Angeles freeway produced EKG irregularities in 40% of patients with preexisting cardiovascular disease. Expressway CO levels approached 25-100 ppm. The EPA emission standards have reduced the amount of carbon monoxide produced by over 95%. Still, a single vehicle emitting high concentrations of CO can leave a plume (cloud) of carbon monoxide. Following the dirty vehicle and driving in the plume can cause health problems for some people. Iowa does not require state emission checks and it’s common to encounter individual vehicles emitting excessive amounts of CO...

Why are defective exhaust systems so dangerous? Internal combustion gasoline engines produce extremely high carbon monoxide concentrations. Even a properly tuned gasoline engine, will produce more than 30,000 parts per million (ppm) of CO in the exhaust stream before the catalytic converter. An exhaust leak can allow escape of CO before it is converted to non-toxic CO2 in the catalytic converter. The CO leaking from the exhaust system can enter the vehicle through holes in the body or open windows or doors. Exhaust systems must be gas tight from the engine to the end of the tailpipe.

How does the catalytic converter reduce the risks of CO poisoning? The typical catalytic converter found on most newer cars and trucks combines oxygen with carbon monoxide to form non-poisonous carbon dioxide (CO2) reducing the high concentrations in the exhaust manifold (typically 30,000 ppm or more) to low concentrations (typically below 1,000 ppm after the catalytic converter). Tailpipe concentrations of carbon monoxide in gasoline engines without catalytic converters are typically from 30,000 to over 100,000 ppm, depending on the condition of the engine.

How can CO poisoning occur if the engine has a catalytic converter? Exhaust gas that leaks out before the catalytic converter has high CO concentrations. Out-of-tune or misfiring engines produce elevated concentrations of carbon monoxide and unburned fuel that can destroy the catalytic converter. During cold starts the catalytic converter is ineffective. And if there is insufficient oxygen (caused by operation in a closed building or with a defective oxygen system), there will not be enough oxygen for oxidizing the CO to CO2.

What is the problem with pick-up toppers, open tailgates, and holes in the vehicle body? For carbon monoxide poisoning to occur, a person must breath the CO. Holes allow the CO to enter the vehicle. Every year several people die while sitting in old vehicles with defective exhaust systems and holes rusted through the vehicle floor. When a vehicle is moving, holes or openings in the rear of the vehicle are under a suction which pulls in exhaust fumes. All holes in the car body must be sealed. The suction effect applies when a rear tailgate window or the trunk is left open or when persons ride in the back of a pick-up truck under a topper. The suction produced as the truck is driven and the lack of ventilation in the topper combine to produce a potentially deadly combination. Normally active children who sleep while in the back of a pick-up may be sleepy because they are breathing carbon monoxide. In California, several cases of children dying in the back of pick-ups under a topper have been documented."

http://www.abe.iastate.edu/extension...icles-aen-208/
Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 PM

I usually only use recirc when I'm on the gravel road, then when I hit the highway it's on fresh. I use it as my anti-dust switch.