86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear wiper/washer problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rear wiper/washer problem

Hey everyone; I have a 1995 3.0 4x4 4runner that is driving me nuts with the rear wiper. I have searched & read until my head hurts & I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on what these systems that I am about to name off have in common as I have seen other people that have said these systems went out on their 4runners as well:

The washer front & back does not work
The rear wiper does not work
The intermittent switch does not work

The front wipers work on low & high only & the rear glass goes up & down just fine with the console switch or the key either one. I have the rear panels off trying to figure this out, but me & electrical stuff don't get along. I can use a meter to see if something is getting power but that's about as far as my meter talent extends.

I'm taking it to the dealership on Thursday the 15th for the steering rod recall; I was hoping I could get it working & put back together before then with some help from some of you. I'm thinking it's the switch on the steering column because the plug at the rear wiper motor has power to two of the wires but nothing changes in voltage when I have the wife move the wiper switch from off to on.

Sorry if I explained that in a confusing way, I need a Guinness.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:49 PM

Wow, so it's not just me that has no other idea besides the switch. At least I don't feel that I'm just missing something simple; I was sure it was some sort of simple common problem that two or three people would chime in about & say "google & the search function both work...". I've never owned a 4runner before this one & I've only had it about a month so it's all new to me & those two (google & the search function) have become my two best friends over that month.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the pump up front serves both washer nozzles on the hood and the rear glass, might need a new pump. get busy with that meter!

check the switch in the console, pull it and give it a good cleaning. lots of junk ends up in those tiny spots. try applying power at the rear wiper plug to see if that will make it work, then you will know for sure about the switch.

as for the intermittent feature, check out www.4crawler.com , he has a section called "cheap tricks" that may have the answer you are looking for.

good luck and keep us posted.

lee
Old 03-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
There are actually two pumps up front. OTherwise, when you pushed the button, both front and rear would squirt fluid.

Sounds like the wiper switch assembly to me. If the rear window goes up and down, you clearly dont have an issue with the Up/Down switch, or any other part of that system for that matter.

Check the switch assy. If you cant, just replace it. Im sure thats the problem.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:51 AM

Thanks for the help folks. I have checked out 4crawler already; in fact my favorites list has skyrocketed to a new level with all the tid-bits I've been saving for reference.

Two of the wires at the rear wiper motor plug have D/C, not sure which wires on the motor are supposed to get the voltage, but that's what is confusing me. The motor isn't seized as I was able to move it by hand & the plug has voltage...but the voltage doesn't change on any of the wires in the plug when the switch is moved from off to on.

I'm in the process of buying a new steering column "dual switch assembly", maybe that will solve it. I'd try to get my old dad to help me out since he's a whiz with electronics but he's on a broken ankle & doesn't want to be bothered to even look at the wiring diagram that I can't decipher! (lol)
Old 03-10-2007, 11:37 AM

Hmmm, applied power to the washer pump & the one in the rear works. I tried to apply power to one side then the other to get the front to spray & it didn't. (I assumed it was like a power window motor I.E. which side power is applied to determines up or down...in this case front or rear)

I tried every combination of power to the wiper motor plug & couldn't get it to do a thing. I took the motor out & tried it directly at the battery so I know it was getting good voltage. I took the motor apart & it looked nice & clean no metal shavings, no burnt spots.

I'm guessing maybe either the motor is bad, the switch is bad, or both. Oh, b.t.w. I applied a ground to the motor when I tested it at the wire that's grounded to the motor body.

I hate electrical work of all kinds; I suck at it.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Brenjen
Hey everyone; I have a 1995 3.0 4x4 4runner that is driving me nuts with the rear wiper. I have searched & read until my head hurts & I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on what these systems that I am about to name off have in common as I have seen other people that have said these systems went out on their 4runners as well:

The washer front & back does not work

Does the rear window indicate "open" on the dash if the rear window is open, and locked when closed? If that switch is not working, indicating the window is closed, your rear wiper will not work. That is the common "failure" for the rear wiper, as you will see if you search on that.

The rear wiper does not work
The intermittent switch does not work

The front wipers work on low & high only & the rear glass goes up & down just fine with the console switch or the key either one. I have the rear panels off trying to figure this out, but me & electrical stuff don't get along. I can use a meter to see if something is getting power but that's about as far as my meter talent extends.

I'm taking it to the dealership on Thursday the 15th for the steering rod recall; I was hoping I could get it working & put back together before then with some help from some of you. I'm thinking it's the switch on the steering column because the plug at the rear wiper motor has power to two of the wires but nothing changes in voltage when I have the wife move the wiper switch from off to on.

Sorry if I explained that in a confusing way, I need a Guinness.
More than one problem?
Old 03-10-2007, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sure sounds like the column switch. As far as the rear motor goes, check the connector behind the rear driver side access panel for corrosion. That was the problem I had.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ebin
Sure sounds like the column switch. As far as the rear motor goes, check the connector behind the rear driver side access panel for corrosion. That was the problem I had.

You mean where the relays are? In the back? I have all the plastic off from the rear seats to the tail-gate, I've checked the connections & they all look good. I've cleaned the switch on the column, it still feels good, no slop or worn feeling to it.

Is there something I'm missing about applying power to the motor to test it? Double grounds? Double power? I'd like to put the cargo area back together but I hate to do it until I'm certain what shape the rear wiper motor is in. So far I'm going with the theory that the switch & the motor are both bad. But my mind can't get around that idea very well, if the motor went out, why would the switch be used any more & if it wasn't used any more it seems it would still be good. On the other hand, if the switch went bad, the motor should have sat there unused & still be good.

One thing, I did find metal shavings & blued chips (from heat like drill chips) stuck on the little speaker magnets up by the motor & cargo light. But the motor has no chips in it it looks like brand new (just doesn't work lol)

I hate to just throw money at a problem & replace parts until I get the right one. I might as well take it to a shop if I can't do any better than that.

Know what I mean?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:21 AM

Hey, saw you haven't been on the board in 5mo., but I was just wondering if you figured out your wiper problems from 4.5 years ago. My rear wiper & intermittent wiper went out all suddenly the other day, so it sounds really similar. Thanks!