86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

randomly dropping cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
randomly dropping cylinder 22rte

I am starting to not like my new truck. Background- 87 turbo p/u-all stock,been sitting awhile. I've been putting supreme(92 octane) in it since I got it a few weeks ago. It has an exhaust leak at the manifold gasket(from what I can tell) that seems to quiet down quite a bit after it's warm. I put the msd wires and e3 plugs off my old truck(fairly new) on it,has been running fine. I have not done the fuel filter or cap and rotor yet. I did inspect the cap and rotor last night after this happened and they look fairly new/clean too.

Yesterday before I went to my parents after work I took the tube from the valve cover to the inlet tube (between afm and turbo) off,plugged nipple on inlet tube,and put brand new breather on valve cover. It drove fine to my parents. Sat for about an hour,and it has been a little sluggish on hot starts(puff of blue smoke,rev it a couple time sit starts to idle fine) but when I left it sounded like a lawnmower. I revved it to try to clear it out,but it ran the same. I got out onto an open round and got on it a little,it spooled up and started running fine. Ran fine until I got about half way home(couple miles). I went to accelerate from a stoplight,it started to pull from turbo spooling up and then dropped a cylinder again. I had to nurse it home running like a lawnmower again(couple more miles). Two blocks from home it starts running fine again.

I pulled the plugs(after it cooled down) and nothing jumped out at me. They had a tiny bit of burned oil residue on them and that's it-not bridging the gap or anything either. But none of them were wet. No burned wires.
I warmed it back up and shook plug wires and injector harness and nothing changed-running fine. Took it for drive up the street and it spooled up,boosted fine,ran fine. I just parked it and took different vehicle to work. I ordered a boost gauge so I can atleast know what's happening there. Just wondering if anyone's had something similar happen/has any ideas. I'm gonna be putting fuel filter on when I have a chance,and re-connect breather tube back up just because

Last edited by Turd Furgeson; 02-09-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
By removing the hose and adding the breather your letting unmetered air into the engine, so you need to remove the breather and put the hose back on. The best spark plugs for a toyota are oem plugs, it would be a good idea to replace the E3 plugs with a set of stock plugs. Stock plug wires and cap and rotor are recommended as well. Has the fuel filter been replaced ?, and also the 02 sensor, if its original or has a lot of miles on it you should replace it, and use an oem replacement, don`t use a Bosch 02 sensor, they don`t work well in a toyota.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Fix the leaking manifold, too.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 AM

The plugs worked great in my other truck,and have been working great in this truck too. I plugged the nipple on the intake tube so I would think that I wouldn't be getting un metered air in there,unless the pcv valve pulls it through the breather,through the valve cover and into intake manifold at times? And I am gonna do fuel filter and cap and rotor soon too. Gonna hook breather tube back to valve cover and take for a drive when I get the chance this weekend and see if it will do it again. If I got the time and money I'm doing fuel filter this weekend too. I just don't know why it would randomly drop a cylinder like that and then work fine again. Unless maybe something got past the fuel filter and temporarily clogged an injector,then came out,then plugged it again,then out again?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes the PCV pulls through the breather into the intake manifold.

I would pull your injectors and clean them too though.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you can afford it some time in the future, it would be a good idea to send your injectors out to be cleaned. Another thing that sometimes happens is that the wiring harness for the injectors can sometimes corrode and break, so you have to unwrap the wiring harness and solder all of the conections together.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 PM

Yeah,I tried shaking/tugging on the injector harness to try to get it to run like crap again and it wouldn't do it. I did just buy a fuel filter to throw on it this weekend.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:35 PM

Update- I got home from work and started it up. Ran fine,let it warm a little,started revving it. Revved fine a few times,then started dropping a cylinder again. Oh, and I did hook the factory breather system back up before this. So as it was idling (barely) I started unplugging (and plugging back in) plug wires one at a time. Each one would almost kill the truck except for cylinder #2,it would run the same with it plugged or unplugged. The wire looks fine (not burned or ccacked ect),I haven't pulled the plugs again yet to see if I can tell whether it's wet or not. It wasn't the first time so I'm thinking #2 injector is clogging/unclogging or has weak spray. Or something is messed up in the wiring going to that injector(god I hope not). Like I said though, I've shook the harness while it was running fine and it didn't make it run any different. I think I'm going to pull the injectors when I have the time/money and send them to that witchhunter place. I have not held a screwdriver up to the injector to see if it was firing or not. If it's clogged, should it still make noise though? And if there's no noise then it's in the wiring?

EDIT-Pulled that plug,it was a little wet. Started truck up pulled plug wire again, not much change compaired to the the other ones. Tried another plug wire on there and still not much change. I'm starting to wonder if it's either distributor,or cap. Obviously I'm gonna throw a new cap and rotor on there first.

Last edited by Turd Furgeson; 02-10-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:36 PM

Ran fine all day yesterday (first time i've driven it all week) and out to my friend's house. I did put a new cap and rotor on it the night before (still ran like crap). Put new fuel filter on at my friend's house after it had been running great. Started it up after installing new fuel filter,and it was running like a lawnmower again. Nursed it home like that and parked it. I'm done with the peice of ˟˟˟˟,it's going to a shop I trust sometime this week. I can't really afford it,but we did get our tax returns. I'm at the point where I'd rather do that,than throw a bunch money at parts that fix nothing.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes but these parts are all cheap...don't wimp out because a few things didn't work....
Old 02-15-2011, 05:37 PM

I think I might have found the problem. #4 injector plug wasn't on there. I just did the fuel filter the other day when it was running fine. After doing the fuel filter it started up on 3 cylinders again. The plug didn't have the little springclip thing on it. I'm guessing the clip has been missing this whole time and the plug was just hanging on there,and was randomly not making a good connection recently,so it would randomly drop that cylinder and sometimes make the connection again. When I did my fuel filter and was moving some of the wires out of the way down there it must have come all the way off. So now I need to test this theory by finding another one of those springclips,cleaning the connection the best I can,and plug it back in. Is electric parts cleaner safe on the plastic on the injector/plug? Where do I find one of those clips? All the junkyards around here always have the motor/harness and just about anything that wasn't wrecked missing. Can the dealer get those stupid little things? God I hope this officially takes care of the problem.

Edit-Upon further inspection, the #3 injector plug is missing the wire clip too. I found a place that has new injector plug pigtails that are supposed to be a "better" design as far as not breaking as easily for $7.00 a peice. I'm just gonna buy 4 of them and have a friend solder all 4 new ones on my truck.

Last edited by Turd Furgeson; 02-16-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:18 PM

It's all done. I ended up getting 4 new pigtail connectors from this place http://www.connectorsfast.com/ I highly recommend them. They are "updated" plugs that are less likely to break (thicker plastic and better clip release) and they seem to be the same "updated" ones that lc engineering has for $15.95 per pigtail. I got 4 of them shipped to my mailbox in 2 days for $34. They definatly clip/unclip better than the factory ones. So now my truck's back up and running again. So maybe now I can get back to all the other little crap that needs fixed,and get my blow-off valve and 2.5'' exhaust on here.