86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

pinion flange problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pinion flange problem

I just recived my new thirdmember tonite and tore my old one out of the truck and installed the new one. I go to bolt the drive line up and the drive shaft flange dosent match the pinion flange. Its about a 1/4 inch off (to big) all the way around. I REALLY dont want to take the third member back out everythings already bolted up. would anyone see a problem with me drilling new holes into the pinion flange to get my toyota driveshaft to bolt up and kinda make a universal flange. Thankyou very much in advance
Old 12-15-2007, 06:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The hard part will be getting the holes centered. It will shake terribly if they are off.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
X2... you'd have to be really good with your measurements to get the holes drilled such that you won't have vibration when you're done. It's do-able, but be very careful with your measurements.

Are there the same number of splines on your old flange and new flange? If so, you could swap them out. Keep in mind to do this (unless you have a solid pinion spacer), you will need a new crush sleeve.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The DS will center itself on the flange because the flange should have a slight recess the DS fits into... so no problem there.

You can just re-drill 45 degrees off. 4Crawler had a good suggestion in regards to this the other day. Mark and drill your first hole, put a bolt through, then drill the next and so forth.

Will help keep everything lined up.

If you wanted to replace the flange instead, try Marlin... they sell multiple drilled flanges. But if you go this route you can effect your crush sleeve and in turn gear setup... so I'd probably try to drill it first.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Drill slow and have some good, hardened drill bits.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Weakyota91, what did you end up doing? I have a similar problem. Bought an e-locker where I might need a new pinion flange and am trying to figure out if I can use my old pinion flange.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldnt attempt it without a drill press..... if you dont drill straight u just fubared a good flange

its very common to do though
Old 06-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You can use the holes in the driveshaft flange to guide the drill bit and like mentioned, do one hole at a time and insert bolts as you go. Or you can swap pinion flanges with your old diff or get a double or triple drilled flange to replace the one you have.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

4Crawler, so are there any differences in the flanges themselves? Or as long as it's an 8" diff, they are compatible. I'm trying to install an e-locker into my 1st gen, but was told to get a new pinion flange since the old one is not in good shape I guess. I was hoping to just swap the flanges and not need a new crush sleeve. Here's a pic.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like someone sure did beat on that thing
Old 06-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

The flanges are all the same outside of the diameter and bolt hole pattern. Same as the t-case flange, only difference between those flanges is the size of the dust shield:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eal/index.html
Old 09-02-2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
The flanges are all the same outside of the diameter and bolt hole pattern. Same as the t-case flange, only difference between those flanges is the size of the dust shield:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...eal/index.html
Do you have a write up for drilling the flange? I assume you drill new holes and not re-drill the old ones?
Old 09-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

No writeup, but some pictures below of how I did mine. In my case, I took the front CV shaft flange off and mated that to the rear u-joint flange, rotating the hole pattern ~45 degrees to the existing holes. Then used the holes in the one flange to drill 4 new holes in the other flange:

Or you can buy multiple drilled flanges from many of the Toyota parts supplies like Marlin Crawler, Trial-Gear, All Pro or Inchworm. I drilled mine before those aftermarket flanges were available.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:58 PM

I figured I'll try to drill it now since I have nothing to lose. I'll buy the triple drilled if it does not work out. Trail gear's site has the triple drilled for 84-95 patterns. I'm not sure if this will mate up to my e-locker diff and trailgear wasn't sure either....
Old 09-02-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can buy a pinion flange with all 3 bolt patterns already drilled for about $35.00 from Marlin Crawler and several other places. I'd do that before tying to drill your own. Not worth the time

Old 09-02-2008, 06:55 PM

Here is my problem: I have an 03 Taco TRD diff with Yukon 5.29s freshly installed. I counted the original gears and got a 29spline pinion while I've been told that the Yukon should be 27 spline. The shop installed the original flange onto the geared diff, what doesn't make sense to me is how did they put the old 29 spline flange on to the new 27 sine pinion?

I am confused if my Yukons have a 27 spline, which I think they should because they for a V6 or a 29 spline making the original flange off a taco fit?

Help!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:35 PM

im pretty sure they both were actually 29 spline. when i put yukons in my tacoma differential i used my old flange on the yukon pinion to do all of my mockups and didnt install the new one untill the end. splines were the same.

if you have an e-lockers you may find that the splines are different than what they say for a v6 setup because the v6 with e-locker actually uses parts from a 22RTE rearend.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by apalmer1
im pretty sure they both were actually 29 spline. when i put yukons in my tacoma differential i used my old flange on the yukon pinion to do all of my mockups and didnt install the new one untill the end. splines were the same.

if you have an e-lockers you may find that the splines are different than what they say for a v6 setup because the v6 with e-locker actually uses parts from a 22RTE rearend.
I bought the Yukon gears originally for my 88 V6 diff but found out they also fit the Taco diff with locker. So this should have the same spline as an 88 4Runner correct?

I am confused because Marlin and TG say that their triple flanged is made for 27 spline.
So I'm thinking I may be able to just swap the flanges. How hard is it to remove the flange? I see 4crawlers pics on it. The diff is in the housing with no axles, so wouldn't it just spin when trying to remove the 30MM nut? And torque to 90 LBS?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:52 PM

So I bought a triple drilled from TG and it didn't fit my 88 V6 4runner drive shaft, anyways, I found a stocker that I could use. I replaced it, filled it with fresh oil and drove it around, it started leaking/dripping oil out the pinion flange area, is this because of too much oil or could it be because the flange was not tight enough.

This is a brand new professional gear install, other than the pinion flange swap.

Should I be worried or was it just too much oil? Drips a little still but not nearly as much as before....Put about 2.5 quarts of gear oil in the 3rd.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

New pinion flange seal or old? Also, did you put some silicone/RTV on the splines of the pinion shaft before sliding the flange on? That will help seal that area.

Quick Reply: pinion flange problem