Went I bought my tires, I bought 5 33x12.5R15 BFG A/T KO's and mounted them on 15x10 3.75" backspaced wheels. I originally thought the spare wouldn't fit underneath the truck in the stock location.
So I tossed the spare with a bike lock in the bed. It consumed all of my bed space, and I grew tired of tossing it around to carrier stuff in the bed.
Sure enough, once I tried, the spare fit in the stock location.
My chain winch for the spare is terrible, it's rusted and jams constantly. I even broke the crank handle trying to free it up.
Plus the massive tire underneath looked terrible, my truck looked like it had a fat caboose. After wheeling it like that for a bit. I hit the spare a couple tires dropping off some ledges. Also, the last thing I ever wanted to do is to have to drop the spare to change a tire in a mud hole or have to move the truck with a blown tire so I can get the spare down.
While browsing my local pick and pull one day, I took a look at the 4Runner swing out spare tire carrier. I know the corner lights are the same as the pickup's, so I checked out the bracing behind the sheet metal on the 4Runner. Nice little bracket. I ASSUMED the pickup rear corner inner construction would be the same as the body lines are very similar. I thought it would be one banana job (on the shade-tree mechanic scale).
A local guy was scrapping a 4Runner, so I tossed him some cash and he cut me out the rear corner of the 4Runner including the inner bracket and the tailgate/hatch bracket. The inner bracket is held in by a couple of spot welds.
The bracket is two C-shaped channel steel that conform to the shape of the body, connected by a thin hollow steel rod.
The inner bracing in the corner of the pickup is completely different and much smaller open space than the 4Runner.
I had to cut the brackets way down. Ditching a bolt hole on the top and bottom brackets.
Have a friend hold the spare tire carrier in place, a strap helps support the weight. Mark the holes, drill. Install the carrier.
The tailgate latch needs to be modified to install in onto the truck tailgate as the body lines are very different.
I cut the bracket into pieces, welded the support hook to a plate, relocated the rubber mount. Working inside the tailgate is tricky. I ended taping my flat washer, lock washer and nut together to get the bottom bolts.
I cut the license plate holder to clear my tube bumper. Re-wired my old license plate lights to the swing-out lights with a bit of wire. The license plate is held on by hose clamps so it'll rotate up if I catch it on a rock.
Anyways, the pictures probably speak better than I do. Total process with a lot of fiddling and cussing, took me a saturday.
Interesting mod, if you're stuck in the mud and you don't want to wade up to tits in mud. I got steps!