Old 12-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
that lift would be nice....
Old 12-02-2008, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I went through a couple too...glad there is a Harbor Freight 10 minutes away...than I flipped the carrier over and noticed that little tab that only lets you go one way>

glad you are OK. having that happen would have scared the crap outta me...
not ever a good idea though to let the weight of the axles rest on the bearing/seals I always end up having a leak a few months down the road...But in your case it saved bodily arm. Good deal

I ended up making this little jig thingy to hold my third...made working on it easier since the wife refused to get greasy

Hope the animal sacrifice went well
Lol nah I knew the way the pin was supposed to come out. The dude who setup my 3rds when I got my 5.29s (one of the best guys in texas. Sets up stockcar, drag, funny, and alot of ihra vehicle's gears) bent in the other side so there's no way you could conceivably not see which way it's supposed to come out.

And that jig is a great idea. Ill snap a picture of how I ratchet strapped my 3rd to my 4wheeler jack so I could get the ring gear bolts off, when I throw it back together.

And yeah, the deer sacrifice to the god of hunting and trucks (KillimusMaximusTruckimus) worked out great. Bagged a nice 8pointer (and i didn't even hit it with my dodge this time. Actually shot this one lol). Post up a pic of it once I get em uploaded off my bud's phone.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im confused, so are they installed yet? me and 904_runner put an aussie in the rear of mine a couple weeks ago and it was pretty smooth, the only real hangups we had were that we figured out that one of my wheel bearings was bad at 11pm on a friday night, so we had to wait until next day to get a new one pressed on. oh and then one of my brake lines was stripped, but the actual aussie install went pretty fast and smoothly. could have had it all done in one day if my wheel bearing wasnt bad.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:34 PM

No they aint installed yet. I've only got the rear torn down. I'm going to wait on the front install until I get my power steering pump issue worked out with trailgear.

But I am a little bit confused on the aussie install. Why am I supposed to reuse the thrust washers? They wont touch anything anymore right...?

And I realised I may be a little ****ed. I distorted the hole for the center pin by heating it up with the torch to get out that dowel pin. We'll see how that goes..............

But yeah, anyone have some insight on the thrust washers?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:38 PM

Well actually maybe I'm confused. The thrust washers aint the washers that are behind the spider gears, are they? Because those are curved... Is Clint missing something here? lol...
Old 12-02-2008, 06:02 PM

look at one of zuks installs, i just followed one of those and it told me everything.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There should be washers behind the side gears as well. Big shiny flat ones.

I dunno, cuz I've never installed any 4 cyl stuff yet, but a V6 lockrite is a cakewalk. No pins, no hammers, just a bunch of bolts holding the case together.

Cheers.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:30 PM

Yeah I'm sorry, I'm flippin dur dur dur. Had the whole thing together, used my feeler gauge and measured like .23 and was like there aint no way I'm close to a tenth out of spec. Slammed my fist on my work desk and plop plop, off fell the those flat thrust washers off the side gears. Felt ta-tarded lol. Apparently they stuck on there when I pulled them out and didn't notice em, only the spider gear washers.

Anyhow, taking a break. Damn thing is almost forcing me to start drinking again... Hah
Old 12-02-2008, 07:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampThing
Yeah I'm sorry, I'm flippin dur dur dur. Had the whole thing together, used my feeler gauge and measured like .23 and was like there aint no way I'm close to a tenth out of spec. Slammed my fist on my work desk and plop plop, off fell the those flat thrust washers off the side gears. Felt ta-tarded lol. Apparently they stuck on there when I pulled them out and didn't notice em, only the spider gear washers.

Anyhow, taking a break. Damn thing is almost forcing me to start drinking again... Hah
The first Aussie install, I started working on the third on the driveway in the dark and it started to hail. I gave up when there was half a foot of wet snow around me and I kept loosing tools in the snow. I screwed up the BL and had a mech finish it up for me $80. Installed the diff lying in a 3" puddle with a herniated disc in my neck. It was pretty miserable. The second time was a million times better.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
good luck with it clint... i know that you've been wantin them things for a while...
Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 PM

Son. Of. A. F******. B****.

Cant put it together today. With those dog gone thrust washers, my spacer to centerpin gap is .002 (calls for .006-.020). Without them, I'm .031, so I can't run it without it either. So now I gotta go to toyota, pray they have some of the right size washers (anyone got a part number?), then finish the 3rd, then figure out how to fix the axle housing innards that are falling out from dropping the truck.

Urge to kill rising...
Old 12-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
thrust washers are needed...

dunno if this will help you but it is from when I did my aussie install
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
My locker install has not exactly been going as fast as I was hoping. Something about finishing other projects first

Anyway had some time today so got back to work on it, I was following Zuk's write up at gearinstalls.com it is so much better than the install instructions from aussie locker.

Finally got a 3/16" punch so I could drop the diff shaft and get out the spider gears:

Rear install the thrust washers, evidently some people forget them and the locker won't work right:

Just like Zuk has found on his aussie installs I had to take some material off the housing to get the parts to drop in:

Checked the clearance between the shaft, I got 0.007", spec says 0.006-.016:

Got all the couplers in after doing the little clearance job mentioned about, a few minutes with a file was all it took:

Next step was to line up the couplers and insert the 4 pins, make sure to install the spring nipple up, it helps to retain the spring:

Springs installed, take your time with this, those little buggers can fly, using a couple of small screwdrivers did the trick:

all 4 springs installed:

Need to check the gap between the couplers after it is all together, I had 0.147", for the aussie warranty you need 0.145"-0.178" on the center gap:

Main shaft and retaining pin back in:

aussie locker in the carrier:

I went to put the ring gear back on and it did not want to drop down all the way so I did something my wife will hate me for:

After 15-20 minutes at 225* the ring gear dropped right down

Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the images Robb. Now if you only know the super secret way of making thrust washers thinner. I'm thinking table sander or hijacking a tank and squashing it flat. Hmm...
Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the images Robb. Now if you only know the super secret way of making thrust washers thinner. I'm thinking table sander or hijacking a tank and squashing it flat. Hmm...
Machine shop could take them down a couple thou. The dealer should be able to get various diameters as they specify a specific backlash for the spider gears.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:29 AM

Yeah imma hit up the stealership after work today. Crossing my fingers and counting my bullets that they have them in stock.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:50 AM

Yeah imma hit up the stealership after work today. Crossing my fingers and counting my bullets that they have them in stock.
I hope your dealer is different than mine. Mine does not keep any parts in stock beyond the oil filter, air cleaner and fluids.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:55 AM

Havent been this happy to see UPS since my header arrived
Just wanted to make sure this was the right one, I've heard of a few people who received the wrong one...

Old 12-03-2008, 04:26 PM

Well unfortunatly mine is the same as yours matt. Supposedly no stealership in Texas has them. Gotta special order em, and it'll take 2 weeks.

Moral of the story is, I don't gave a flying f*** how good these lockers are, every diff from here on out is getting lincoln locked.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and if the lincoln locker breaks.. bring the peices back to the garage back stickem back together,,,

sure id like a fancy locker..
but im poor and my lincoln locker shes a locked all dee time!

Quick Reply: Ordering my aussies.