Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OK to only lock one hub? What say you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 10:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm a little puzzled as to why you didn't put the TrueTrack up front and the Detroit Locker in the rear.

Locking one hub with a TrueTrack won't work very well, if at all.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Just wondering though...I kind of do know the answer to this, but in a way i don't. Why are lunchbox lockers so bad in ice/snow in curves as well as curves with a manual (if you drive is sporty)? Is it because it locks/unlocks all the time, therefore giving you less control?
Yes, sort of. If there is enough traction for the locker to unlock in a turn (as it is supposed to) the outside wheel freewheels and the inside wheel has to do all the work. However, if traction is not high enough for one wheel to hold, that wheel will slip and catch up with the outside wheel letting the locker re-lock. I once drove up a mountain road in a light rain (after a long dry spell) and in the slippery conditions, I almost could not make it up the road. As I entered each turn, the outside wheel unlocked then as you gave it a little gas to go up and around the turn, the inside wheel would spin, transferring torque to the outside wheel, which would grab, then the inside wheel would hook up, unlocking the outside. That repeated for about 10 miles. I almost had to put in in 4WD to get up a plain paved road.

And if the traction is not high enough to get the outside tire to unlock, you basically have one or the other wheel spinning in turns. A spinning wheel provides no directional control so it is easier to slide sideways. Plus if you get on the gas too hard, you'll break both tires loose and lose all directional control. With an open diff, you would likely only spin one tire and while you may not move forward, you at least have the other tire keeping you from sliding sideways.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Lysmachia]Wow justy dorve over wolf creek pass on the way to farminbgton and had the same questions. I have a Detroit tru track in front and while I have not noticed huge prpblems in the snow the science behind it (Ackermans radius) makes perfect sense and now I want to try only locking one hub.

If you have a TrueTrac in the front, you should never have to only lock one hub. They are not quite as good as lunchbox lockers in mud and trails, but they work great in the ice and snow. And just in case anybody was wondering, since the TrueTrac operates like an open diff until more traction is needed, you can not do the basic "jack it up and see if both wheels spin in the same direction test". They will spin in opposite directions.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Actually a TrueTrac or any torque sensing limited slip diff will have the wheels spinning the same direction if you to the "wheels in the air test". The difference between that and an auto locker is you get smoother, more gradual engagement as you reverse direction on one wheel. So with a locker and wheels spinning one way then suddenly reverse directions on the one wheel, the locker will go "clunk" and the other wheel will suddenly reverse direction as well. With a TT, there is a gradual slowing to a stop on the opposite wheel and no clunk.

Also, if you unlock a hub with a TT, you have 2WD. No torque will go to that axle. BTDT, did not move. I found my TT improved cornering in the snow over an open diff. This is because the torque is balanced to what each tire can handle, generally the outer tire getting more than the lighter inner tire. With an open diff, it is easier to spin the inner tire and lose directional control. Granted if you nail the gas with a TT or other LSD on snow/ice, it'll usually cause both tires to spin like there was a locker in the axle, but if you stay below the traction limit, the LSD gives the best traction. And unlike a locker, a torque sensing LSD does not require tire slip to engage. The torque can be biased back and forth between the tires as traction warrants. A locker, especially in a turn, is usually driving one tire and only when that tire slips, does the other tire take over.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:58 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Oh dang, my bad man!

For a second, I threw around the idea of you possibly kidding, but for some reason I took it seriously. So sorry! :pat:

So then, it's all good under the hood. No kidding tho, I DO need to go wheel more (). Workin' on it!
Come on out To Oregon - I'll hook you up!
We got snow.
We got ice.
We got mountain trails.
We got sand dunes.
We got beaches.
We got deserts.
We got rocks.
We got mud.
We got deep water.
Right now we mostly have deep water. It's been unreal.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
We got snow.
We got ice.
We got mountain trails.
We got sand dunes.
We got beaches.
We got deserts.
We got rocks.
We got mud.
We got deep water.
Here, here!
Old 01-23-2006, 01:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flamedx4
We got snow.
We got ice.
We got mountain trails.
We got sand dunes.
We got beaches.
We got deserts.
We got rocks.
We got mud.
We got deep water.
And people wonder why the PNW is one of the best places in the world. Marko, come on up!
Old 01-23-2006, 08:40 AM

Here is another option for those who still have IFS. When you shift into 4, the ADD will switch connecting the the axles. What I did was connected a switch inline with the transfer case 4 wheel drive detector. With this switch, you can keep both hubs locked and switch from 4x4 to 3x4 when ever you like without getting out. It works great! This is my homemade selectable locker.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Actually a TrueTrac or any torque sensing limited slip diff will have the wheels spinning the same direction if you to the "wheels in the air test". The difference between that and an auto locker is you get smoother, more gradual engagement as you reverse direction on one wheel. So with a locker and wheels spinning one way then suddenly reverse directions on the one wheel, the locker will go "clunk" and the other wheel will suddenly reverse direction as well. With a TT, there is a gradual slowing to a stop on the opposite wheel and no clunk.

Also, if you unlock a hub with a TT, you have 2WD. No torque will go to that axle. BTDT, did not move. I found my TT improved cornering in the snow over an open diff. This is because the torque is balanced to what each tire can handle, generally the outer tire getting more than the lighter inner tire. With an open diff, it is easier to spin the inner tire and lose directional control. Granted if you nail the gas with a TT or other LSD on snow/ice, it'll usually cause both tires to spin like there was a locker in the axle, but if you stay below the traction limit, the LSD gives the best traction. And unlike a locker, a torque sensing LSD does not require tire slip to engage. The torque can be biased back and forth between the tires as traction warrants. A locker, especially in a turn, is usually driving one tire and only when that tire slips, does the other tire take over.
Yeah the type of lockers I have still confuse me as they were put in befor i got the tippy bitch. I need to make sure but I think I have TT up front and LB in back. (I goota shlep reciepts) Either way I am seriosly irritated with the front locker like my friend Jason (PimpToy) who has the same locker. I mean at least they are consistent in how they don't work well when Jason and I wheel together... GRRRRR

I used to be irritated by ARB's when I had them in the rodeo, such a pain to turn, but at least they worked. I might be leaning towards ARB's now. Scarry huh?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:16 AM

Thumbs up

BTW, I went up Mt Hood yesterday. Tons of new snow. Only locked the passenger side hub. It did awesome! My truck did want to pull to the left when accelerating, and then to the right when decelerating, but I expected that. I just stayed at a constant speed as much as possible. My diagnosis? 3wd is far better in the ice/snow than 2wd or 4wd if you have a locker in the front with manual hubs.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler

As far as the first paragraph:
I called Detroit from their 800# on their website. Toll Free: (800) 328-3850. They said with a Truetrac, it will act as an open diff in a "wheels in the air test." They told me the only ways to tell for sure if you have one are:
1) drain the fluid, open it up, and look at it
2) Jack up only one tire, then start it and put it in gear. The tire in the air will spin momentarily, then the power will transfer to the tire with the most resistance (the one on the ground), and you will fall off the jack. (makes sense, but I did not like that method much so I did not try it.)
3) At a stop, turn the wheel sharply and gas it. (try to do a cookie, donut.) One wheel will spin for a moment, then the power will transfer to the other tire. In an open diff, that first tire will just keep spinning.

I would greatly appreciate replies from anyone that for sure has a Truetrac and tries testing: when you have it jacked up, with the engine off, hubs locked, front or rear, turn one tire and see what the other tire does. Thanks!

The second paragraph:
I agree with a Truetrac in the front there would never be a reason to only lock one hub. I have a Detroit locker in the front. My Detroit Truetrac is in the rear.

Last edited by Bobakazi; 01-29-2006 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

All the gear driven limited slips I have tested (TrueTrac and a Quaiffe) all behave with tires spinning the same direction with the in-the-air test. The differerence you feel with a TT compared to say an auto-locker is when changing directions or having someone hold one side. With an auto-locker, there will be a clunk (felt and heard) when you switch directions on one wheel or if someone stops one wheel from turning as the locker locks up and makes a sudden schange. The TT and Quaife I have tested will have a more gradual reversal of direction or gradual tightening up as one wheel is stopped. This is due to the internal gears winding up tight to lock up. Almost feels like there is something elastic inside, it gets tighter and tighter the farther you go.