Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Meats had to share!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, there seems to be a big range between trucks even with the same equipment. I tend to be a little anal on the maintenance. Ive only owned the thing for a year and ive done valve adjustment, and spark plugs twice now. I've pulled the spark plugs a couple times inbetween too to check how its running, and i tend to keep a close eye on things. Also its got pretty low mileage for the year at only 93k now (83k when i bought it a year ago).

a fair amount of gas mileage is determined by driving style too. I tend to accelerate fairly slowly (unless im on a short onramp with traffic, etc), and tend to coast up to stop lights.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:48 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 89truck
Try tirerack.com that's where I got the Pirellis from. $523 delivered to the house. Paid the local tire shop $40 to mount, balance and put on truck.
Yeah, fair enough price. But, one thing I like about where I've been going is if the installation time goes over the designated amount, my installation is free...and they usually do. Plus, they have sidewall protection. Hard to beat that. Hmmm...decisions, decisions...pfft.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
Yeah, there seems to be a big range between trucks even with the same equipment. I tend to be a little anal on the maintenance. Ive only owned the thing for a year and ive done valve adjustment, and spark plugs twice now. I've pulled the spark plugs a couple times inbetween too to check how its running, and i tend to keep a close eye on things. Also its got pretty low mileage for the year at only 93k now (83k when i bought it a year ago).

a fair amount of gas mileage is determined by driving style too. I tend to accelerate fairly slowly (unless im on a short onramp with traffic, etc), and tend to coast up to stop lights.
That is pretty low. Mine's at 211k+.

I'm in the process of educating myself on valve adjusment. You've contributed much in the way of that with all your postings.

I keep a close eye, too. Much to my wife's frustration. "What? Something else?" hehe.

My driving habits are the same except for when I'm late for an appointment or work. I've a bad habit of that. Otherwise, I drive like a grandpa on Sunday. One other thing...okay, two....I live in the hills and haul a lot in town. So, there I go....my mileage determination.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
That is pretty low. Mine's at 211k+.

I'm in the process of educating myself on valve adjusment. You've contributed much in the way of that with all your postings.

I keep a close eye, too. Much to my wife's frustration. "What? Something else?" hehe.

My driving habits are the same except for when I'm late for an appointment or work. I've a bad habit of that. Otherwise, I drive like a grandpa on Sunday. One other thing...okay, two....I live in the hills and haul a lot in town. So, there I go....my mileage determination.

Thanks.

lol yes ive got a bunch of posts, and if you have any questions ive learned a fair amount due to the fact that the first time i did it on my truck i ended up retrying all sorts of settings, and ended up trying 4 times before i got it to where i liked it. Then I just redid it 3 weeks ago because i felt like they were a bit noisy, and wanted to try the .007 .011 hot thing. Also managed to drop a little screwdriver down my timing cover. Luckily I keep a long parts grabber in my toolbox at all times.

With a proper tuneup you should still be able to squeeze more miles out of it I would think, and with gas at $3/gallon I don't think ill be happy till i hit like 40mpg lol
Old 04-19-2007, 04:04 PM

The extending magnet tool is my best friend. It's a little fickle, though. Wants to stick to anything metal.

40mpg? Dream on...hahahaha! You're talkin' diesel time. (<<in my dreams<<)

I'll be looking to doing the valve thing in a week or so, depending on a particular variable. For some reason she wants her runner working first. If I do have any questions, I'll certainly ask you. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mileage Update

Ok I've run 3 tankfuls so far. Without re-gearing MPG is 15.6, 15.7 and, 15.9. Fifth gear is pretty much useless going up moderately steep hills. Still has good power off the line when the RPM comes up. I'm having to run Super to try and quell the pinging. This tank is Regular and the pinging is noticeably worse, mileage is suffering too. So with Super now over $3.00 a gallon I might try some 104 octane booster in each tank. I think if I can keep the foot out of it and creep along with the blue hairs. I would get better mileage. But it's just so hard to do. Well what do you want, a darn good looking and off road capable rig or gas mileage? If I want mileage I'll drive the wife's Prius.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like that silver too, nice paint. but, I can't see your rear bumper in any of your pix!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:55 PM

With a 22re, 5spd, 4.10 gears and 37s i get about 10-12... with 5.29s or stock 28in tires i get infinity
Old 05-04-2007, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
nice wheels man, the look pretty familiar . Nice addition to your truck, it looks great. For those interested, i have a 3.0 with automatic tranny and stock 4.10 gears, with 33x12.50s and the same wheels. I am getting about 175 miles to a tank.
You must have a good job...
Old 05-04-2007, 07:20 PM

milage

I had 30x9.50s on my pickup. Once I got 22 miles to the gallon on a trip to the cost and back in my 84' carberated of corse it also only had at the time 120' 000 mileson it.i now have 131'000 I love my Toy
Old 05-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Whats the backspacing on those rims?

I just painted a set of wagon wheel style steelies (15x8.5) and they have 3.5" backspacing, woundering what it will look like.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by misterzee
I really like that silver too, nice paint. but, I can't see your rear bumper in any of your pix!
No rear bumper. Brackets rusted long time ago. Don't have to have a rear bumper in Texas on pickup trucks. I want to find one that wraps around and protects the sides. Just haven't found one I like yet.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Whats the backspacing on those rims?

I just painted a set of wagon wheel style steelies (15x8.5) and they have 3.5" backspacing, woundering what it will look like.
3.75" of backspacing. Your 3.5" should be fine. The tires might stick out a little further then the 3.75". About a 1/4 inch I'd imagine