Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Are new headbolts REALLY necesarry?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just called the stealership in my neck of the woods, they want $10 a piece for the bolts. He works at a dealership so he's going to use all Toyota parts I imagine. I just talked to another tech at the toyota dealer by my house and he said you could reuse them also. I'm gonna push him for new ones anyway, but if two toyota techs say it's okay to reuse maybe, just maybe it is.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by pruney81
I just called the stealership in my neck of the woods, they want $10 a piece for the bolts. He works at a dealership so he's going to use all Toyota parts I imagine. I just talked to another tech at the toyota dealer by my house and he said you could reuse them also. I'm gonna push him for new ones anyway, but if two toyota techs say it's okay to reuse maybe, just maybe it is.
Just look at my explanation and ask youself if it's worth risking the headgasket for that pocket change you'll save by reusing the bolts. Ask your techs why it's ok to reuse the bolts when it will put more stress on the headgasket.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

If he doesn't want to use new head bolts...have him sign a piece of paper agreeing to replace all parts and labor free if the HG blows again. Bet he will spring for new ones then...
Old 11-08-2006, 11:03 AM

Keep in mind that just because they are Toyota techs that does not mean they do everything in the best interest of the customer. The majority of what they do is warranty work and, sadly, priority 1 is to get the job done the cheapest way possible. If they reuse the bolts on a HG under warranty it will probably last long enough to get out of the warranty period and then it is the customer's problem when they blow again. No offense to any Toyota techs on here as I know many who are fine mechanics. It is more a dealer protocol that some techs get programed with and just do it that way. You have not said anything about why this guy thinks it's not a good idea other than that's not what they do at the dealer which tells me he doesn't know enough about how they work. A chronic HG problem like the 3.0s have needs all the help they can get to make them last.

Like everyone else has said, get new bolts and insist he uses them to, if nothing else, just make you happy. If he is any kind of mechanic he will go ahead and do it. If not, find someone who knows what they are doing.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:40 AM

Yea you're right I'm going to call him tonight to try to get this across to him. He's giving me a good deal so I rather have him do it than find someone else
Old 11-08-2006, 12:05 PM

I replace every bolt.After working on VW's for years i have found it makes life easier.No more already stretched bolts or no bolts that brake off when replacing a part. The thing that made me do it on my toyotas is when i did my oil pump and timing cover the bolts for the oil pump backed out leaked pressure and spun the bearings.Now rather then deal with the headaches i replace them just so i know i wont have problems braking them or having them not fit exactly how they should. Plus if you fix it the first time and dont have to do it again then you can spend more time wheeling,driving,sitting around drinking beer,or something else more fun then braking knuckles when a bolt head snaps off.

My .02
Old 11-08-2006, 05:28 PM

I do Non destructive testing for a living, and for my class project i brought in one of the bolts and stressed it to its yield point. The bolts do not return to shape once torqued and should not be reused. The bolts waist out and get brittle after going through heat cool cycles.I even had to show the mechanic that was working on my truck and he said "whatever". My point is that it's your truck and if you can spend 25, 50 or even 100 to avoid having to open it up again, its money well spent.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:30 AM

Well, I just talked to him and after some arguing he agreed to do it. He's going to get factory ones from toyota but I don't care. I've owned two 1st gens and this is my third 2nd gen so I'm not willing to take any chances with the 3.slow. He wasn't happy about it, it was like I was questioning his expertise but I stuck to my guns and in the end he agreed to do it. He just kept saying that they don't do it in the dealership and if it was his truck he wouldn't but I've read enough about torque to yield bolts and from what I've read on here I'm confident I was right. It should be done in a week or so, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Good job...now ask him after he is done to give you the old head bolts...thats just ensuring he isn't telling you what you want to hear at the moment and not going through with it.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a mechanic and I want to shoot straight with you about this. I re use stuff on my own vehicles all the time that people say you shouldn't. BUT...........

If someone asks me to do something a certain way I am going to do whatever is within reason to satisfy them while still doing the job correctly. If you were asking him to re use the old bolts, he should stand firm and get new ones or not do the job. If you want him to get new ones and he wants to insist on using the old ones, I would find another mechanic. That is just beyond my comprehension.

You have to make your own decisions but I can tell you from experience as a customer, mechanic and supervisor, this is NOT going to be a satisfactory experience for you in the long run. You will be much better off finding someone else NO MATTER THE COST. Come back to this thread in a few months and read this again. It never pays to go with the cheapest guy, you have to ask yourself what corners is he cutting to do it that much cheaper than anyone else? Saving a couple of hundred bucks right now is probably going to cost you 4 times what you saved initially in the long run.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

yea I called him tonight and left him a message....I'm gonna call him back in a few days, I told him last night that they were torque to yield but he said it didn't matter, He works for Toyota you'd think he'd know about it. On the other hand he told me that at the dealership all they do is replace the headgaskets and put it back together to the tune of 1500 bucks go figure
Oocasionally the guys that 'work' for toyota, are the same snot nosed punks who worked at jiffy Lube till they got fired for blowing up someones car, or not tourqing lug nuts down...

Last edited by 04 Rocko Taco; 11-09-2006 at 10:00 AM. Reason: wow...spelling
Old 11-09-2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
Oocasionally the guys that 'work' for toyota, are the same snot nosed punks who worked at jiffy Lube till they got fired for blowing up someones car, or not tourqing lug nuts down...
More than occasionally, dealerships usually only want one experienced tech per shop. They need to have those kids because they will do what the service manager says right or wrong. They usually recieve absolutely NO TRAINING, what is the point of the dealer having them trained then they quit or are fired?
Old 11-09-2006, 04:10 PM

During the 3.0 headgasket recall period , we used no new bolts.The 3.0's made it out of warranty,some barely,and blew another gasket.I personally blame the bolts,because half the bolts came out bent or the threads pulled out of the block!Now,looking back,we should have used new bolts.I now will not build another Toyota engine without using new bolts.My current build ,a 3.4,will have new bolts.Ive even seen cracked heads result from using old(stretched)bolts.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:35 PM

he's gonna use new bolts thank god, I think he just never learned any better he does work for all my girlfriends dad's toyotas and he swears he's a really goods mechanic. I think he just wanted to do what they do at the shop.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:30 PM

If he argued with you about a new part that YOU were paying for and he didn't want to install it, he is a TURD and I wouldn't let him change my bicycle tire, but you will have a new girlfriend in a few months and you will realize this for yourself after you have apent an extra 900 dollars american.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:23 AM

Now you guys gave me something to think about. I changed the gaskets on mine about 800 miles ago and reused the bolts. I used the Hynes book as reference.

I'd like to know how long they usually last before they blow again. I'm taking it on a 3000 mile trip in the next few weeks...... With 200k miles on the clock and now this I don't know if I should.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:32 AM

No what I missed was why would he want to use the old bolts if the customer WANTED and was PAYING for new bolts????????
I am missing the reasoning behind this and why anyone would still be talking to this guy.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:24 AM

He semmed pretty adamant that I didn't need new ones. He told me that if it was his truck he would just reuse them. Plus I know he does good work, he is gonna replace any valves, timing belt water pump t-stat, all belts, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, pcv valve, change my tranny fluid, plus I got into a little fender bender and he's going to replace alot of my front end parts. Best part is he's only gonna charge me 25 bucks an hour. With the headgasket and the front end damage I never could've afforded to fix my truck any other way. He's really helping me out and I have faith he'll do a good job. I appreciate all the advise and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you guys are scaring me. i reused my bolts when i did my timing chain. no problems 18(ish) months later. should i still strongly consider replacing them?
Old 11-11-2006, 04:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If its working, its working. If you replace em its gunna take a new headgasket. If you go to do it in the future replace em. if youve got em working as they are dont mess with em.

Quick Reply: Are new headbolts REALLY necesarry?