Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New full rear leaf packs for 132$ a pair... shipped!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, they were scheduled to ship out on the 28th but I emailed them last night and told them to cancel the order. They emailed back today and said that they would contact the manufacturer and if it was indeed just an add a leaf and not a full spring pack they would cancel the order. If they found that it was for the whole spring pack they would email and ask me if I still wanted them. I think we know now that it's just the add a leaf so it'll probably get cancelled today or tomorrow. It sucks though because I need new leaf springs really bad too.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:04 PM

I am sorry man. I guess I'll try the ZUK mod if this doesn't pan out. Been on the phone with 2 different people and uploaded pics to CARID. Still getting the runaround.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I resurrected another thread in a different part of the forum, but thus far not much has come from it.

Anybody have experience with John R. replacement leaf springs? I'm just looking to replace mine with a factory equivalent. Both mine are snapped, my ride is VERY rough, jarring over bumps, etc...

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...ta/pickup.html
Old 12-26-2012, 06:18 PM

Sub'd
Old 12-27-2012, 06:26 AM

F me.

CARID.com is not owning up to their mistake. I know they must be slammed with returns, but after 3 semi-English speaking customer unservice folks and 2 more that could speak English, I finally reached a manager. He did not own up to their mistake, even though they had the original phone conversation recorded! The add-a-leafs are going back after I recieve a return shipping label in 2-3 buisness days.

SO!!!!!!! Who is going to try the John R's from autopartswarehouse?????

Hey shaef, how did you snap your leafs? How many miles were on them and did you remove the bumbstops? Just wondering because I plan on doing some trips across the country with my old 1st gen, and I don't want to worry about the 25 year old springs.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by JodyR
CARID.com is not owning up to their mistake. I know they must be slammed with returns, but after 3 semi-English speaking customer unservice folks and 2 more that could speak English, I finally reached a manager. He did not own up to their mistake, even though they had the original phone conversation recorded! The add-a-leafs are going back after I recieve a return shipping label in 2-3 buisness days.

SO!!!!!!! Who is going to try the John R's from autopartswarehouse?????

Hey shaef, how did you snap your leafs? How many miles were on them and did you remove the bumbstops? Just wondering because I plan on doing some trips across the country with my old 1st gen, and I don't want to worry about the 25 year old springs.
Sorry to hear about your issue with Carid.com. That really sucks!

I'm probably going to give the John R's a try, but going to do a bit more research first.

As for snapping my stock leaf packs, heh, that's likely due to overloading the crap out of the poor truck when I hauled huge amounts of firewood (all oak, ash, and locust). Driver's side bump stop got ripped off, and I snapped a leaf on that side. Several trips later, a leaf in the other side snapped. I was working the truck pretty hard, it's my own fault. I've been rocking the broken springs for a while, ready to finally fix them. I just wish I'd done it sooner while my summertime DD was out.

Last edited by shaeff; 12-27-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 AM

OK Shaeff, thanks for replying. Sounds like you get the most out of your old Toyota! It's still hanging in there too! I used to heat my house with wood, and I have hauled a load or two. I enjoyed working up the wood, hand splitting and what-not. I just might have to get a splitter after that locust though!

I'm still trying to decide if I should trust the original springs with added coils, or replace them with new ones, or some newer good 63" chevy's.... I'll spend another 40 hours on here reading about it before I decide. Trying to keep this 88 close to stock going 31's eventually.

Please feel free to use this thread to post your findings on the John R's if you choose to go that route.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 PM

OK Shaeff, thanks for replying. Sounds like you get the most out of your old Toyota! It's still hanging in there too! I used to heat my house with wood, and I have hauled a load or two. I enjoyed working up the wood, hand splitting and what-not. I just might have to get a splitter after that locust though!

I'm still trying to decide if I should trust the original springs with added coils, or replace them with new ones, or some newer good 63" chevy's.... I'll spend another 40 hours on here reading about it before I decide. Trying to keep this 88 close to stock going 31's eventually.

Please feel free to use this thread to post your findings on the John R's if you choose to go that route.
No problem! My family has a huge, old log splitter. It's a home built unit that has a 40 ton ram attached to the splitting head, and a 10 ton ram to make it stand vertical. It's huge, and will split even the knottiest of wood, all at idle speed on a twin cylinder 18hp Wisconsin motor.

If you add coils, I don't see any reason to worry about the old leaf springs. I thought about the 63" Chevy's, but I don't want any lift at this point in time.

On my way home from work today my front passenger side caliper hung up and smoked my brake pads, so I've got other things to take care of before worrying about the leaf springs. Those will probably come in the spring, and I'll update the thread or make a new one and link to it here so everyone knows how they turn out.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by shaeff
On my way home from work today my front passenger side caliper hung up and smoked my brake pads.
Sorry to hear about your caliper man. I guess that could have been real bad on a dirt road loaded down with wood huh! I would check the other side while your in there because in my experience, when one side goes, the other isn't far behind!

If you add coils, I don't see any reason to worry about the old leaf springs.
Theres another vote for keeping the originals. I'm seeing a trend here.... I do have a tendancy to before I actually pull the trigger.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem! My family has a huge, old log splitter. It's a home built unit that has a 40 ton ram attached to the splitting head, and a 10 ton ram to make it stand vertical. It's huge, and will split even the knottiest of wood, all at idle speed on a twin cylinder 18hp Wisconsin motor.
On the farm we welded a double bitted axe head onto an old steel wheel spare tractor wheel we had sitting around. We had an old maytag kick start gas engine from the '40's with a belt to a pulley welded on the steel wheel and it would split wood like butter.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:40 PM

Sorry to hear about your caliper man. I guess that could have been real bad on a dirt road loaded down with wood huh! I would check the other side while your in there because in my experience, when one side goes, the other isn't far behind!
Right on! I ended up replacing both calipers, and the brake pads under warranty. I put new calipers on the truck probably five years ago. I put them on and bled them in the middle of a snow squall today. All is back to normal!

Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
On the farm we welded a double bitted axe head onto an old steel wheel spare tractor wheel we had sitting around. We had an old maytag kick start gas engine from the '40's with a belt to a pulley welded on the steel wheel and it would split wood like butter.
Sounds wicked! I saw one that sounds very similar to that on YouTube, aptly named "The Widowmaker."

Old 12-30-2012, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dang that thing looks scary. Ours was way slower, the weight of the wheel did most of the work.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 PM

Anyone know anything about these from KC Springs? http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_...ner_s/1942.htm

They look like a stock replacement.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So far I'm happy with the ride of the Ironman springs I have but the driveshaft vibration is still there. I've got 6 degree wedges from Rubicon Express with which I plan to replace the lower overload leaves so we'll see how that goes. Getting quality, bolt-on, no-hassle and cost-effective leaf springs for my truck has been a constant struggle for the last 17 years.

Last edited by truckmike26; 01-09-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM

Deaver Spring give them a call , see what they can do
Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM

I really like the specs. and features of the Deavers, but I just called tham and they want 700$ for a pair. They have no stock and would have to make them to suit. The good thing about that is, it would be a "custom" spring tailored to what you want, ride height, ride quality, capacity...